Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Curious - Do you swap blocks and why?

i don't do swaps. i haven't enough time to do the things i want to do, and while i think it would be fun, i'd be afraid i couldn't meet another's standards.

my ideal "swap" would be a random one, with size only defined. i would love to make a quilt of random quilt squares by random people, with their colors, their favorites. the only thing i'd require would be a size (probably 10 or 12 inch, so they could be trimmed to be uniform)--and the other requirement would be their name.date on it, perhaps in pigma marker, just so i could look at it later, and appreciate all the hands, hearts, colors, and ideas that went into it, by name.

if i ever get to retire, i might just suggest such a swap. i would love the free exchange of colors and designs!

Blog Entries
    Lobster, it sound like a real good cause, hope it brings lots of money. I don't do swaps.

I don't swap blocks because I don't really like the look of all different blocks together in one quilt (Samplers).

I do send out quite a few blocks to charity quilts being made, just don't want to get any back, in return...

I did, but I haven't in a long time now. I still haven't put those that I do have together.

I quilt on borrowed time (a bit here and there) so when I do have the time, I want to get what's in my head out and into fabric.. plus I'm taking care of 2 pre-teens (GOD HELP ME!) and my disabled DH, the house, and everything in between.

I have participated in the One Block/Month Swap and a Siggie Block swap on this Board and enjoyed both tremendously.

Guidelines were clearly stated regarding participation being open to ALL LEVELS of quilters. If you are not happy to chance receiving a block from a beginner that may be a little less than perfect, then don't participate.

Personally I found the challenge of working to someone else's criteria for a block an interesting way of moving outside my normal range and the friendships I made along the way have been an added bonus and a great pleasure.

Being international, the high cost of fabric and postage from my end does limit the frequency of my involvement in these swaps.

Quote Originally Posted by ksea
    Quote Originally Posted by CloverPatch
    I am a Wanna-Be block swapper! I joined this group witht he intent of block swapping, but so far it has been too picky. Must use certain pattern, which I am all for, but then stippulating I must use certain colors, and fabric themes. Feel I am basically just making their quilt, with their blocks with their colors. Not quite what i want. I am keeping my eye out though for a block swap, I can enjoy. Till then I am having fun with the doll swaps and table runner swaps.
    Cloverpatch there will be a boomerang swap starting in mid April that you might want to look into. The one in April will be Boomerang5, I have been involved in 3 and am now doing 4 and will definetly do 5. Here are the links to the two groups that are doing boomerang 4. I have had an awesome time particpating with these groups. Lovingizabella is the hostess to these swaps and she does an awesome job, and everyone makes blocks to the best of their ability and I treasure everyone that I have received. Participating in these swaps have forced me to move out of my comfort zone and try new things and pairs fabrics that I never thought to use. I would encourage any one to try one of these boomerang swaps.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-88099-1.htm
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-88100-1.htm
    Seconding the recoommendation for the Boomerang. I did round 2.0 last year and had a ton of fun. LovingIzabella is a brilliant host, very organised, supportive and loving. The variety of fabrics pushed me out of my comfort zone (waaay out in some cases, lol - all in a good way!) and it was just fun to chat and see everyone's blocks appear in all those different fabrics.

I don't tend to swap much because (a) I'm not so much of a traditional quilter, and (b) international mailing costs - ow!! :|

No do my own thing and while working full time just not enough time for that.

I used to but most of them want certain kinds of fabric...30's repo, kona white etc. I just don't have them or the money to get them but do string blocks swaps.

I used to but most of them want certain kinds of fabric...30's repo, kona white etc. I just don't have them or the money to get them but do string blocks swaps.

A few years ago I paraticipated in a local swap called a TRRBE (Tri-cycle Round Robin Block Exchange. We each signed up for a kind of block (star, house, etc.), size, and our choice of color if any. The requests were sent out so that you got a different person't request each month. It went in 3-month intervals with the 4th month to catch up. My request was 12" stars in blues. After a year and a half, this is what I ended up making. (I had to discard one block which was way too large and wrong colors, and had to make a block to replace it.)

"Stars in the Universe"
    Name:  Attachment-128145.jpe
Views: 13
Size:  52.5 KB

For some reason I have no desire to do any kind of swap. I guess one thing is I just want to concentrate on quilting for myself and family at this time and have alot of kits and stash to use up. I feel if I did anything extra at this time it would take away from that. I am a newbie in lots of ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Terryl
    Quote Originally Posted by Tilladare
    LOL, maybe we should have a "Pet Owning Smokers" swap with the only requirement being a chosen size...

Do we have to be both or could it be either or? :lol: :roll: :thumbup: :lol: :roll:
    I would join!I smoke but not in my house and have never had anyone say anything I send smells like smoke,I sure hope it doesn't!

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    If I'm going to do a swap I prefer in person swaps. I've done mail swaps and a couple of them were horrid with taking months to get my blocks back and really bad fabrics, etc. The in person ones have gone much better.
    We are doing a batik squares swap with about 30 people in it at our local guild. Every month, everybody who has signed up, brings two 5" squares x 30, and puts two squares on top of each of the thirty stacks on a table.
    At the end of the meeting, you get to take 60 squares home ( 30 different designs). The colors are designated for each month. But you can make anything! Last year some participants made colorful beautiful totes!
    ....and at the end of the year, people can show what they have made.
    Takes about a yard of fabric, but you get it all back!

Quote Originally Posted by quiltmaker
    No I don't swap or even donate. I am so put off by the venom of people on this board about smoking/pet hair and numerous other allergy related issues that their needs are the singular most important thing for any member to join a swap or donate. Frankly I wonder how some of them are able to leave their homes. I have smoke/pets in my home.

I have truly tried to be understanding of these people's thoughts but wonder why it is necessary to continually have these type of posts on this board. Frankly, I imagine many of them have annoying children, bad habits, bodily smells that would offend me but they act like they own the right to continually complain and whine. Good Lord it has to be extremely off putting to many members. I haven't responded to any of their topics/comments but decided to now.

I make quilts for people all the time, donate many, and have never had a problem with any of them. I only use LQS quality fabrics and I do wash after I make all of them. They don't smell or have pet hair on them. I have no desire to make blocks/donate to unappreciative people. But I have read so many complaints here about picky people, and all the other topics people wish to gripe about that as much as I enjoy this board I will not swap or donate here. It is their loss not mine. I will just continue to give to the people that are happy to receive a quilt made with love and gift to ones I know that are in need in my own community.

Diana, I hear what you're saying as I have read many topics here about what you are saying. It's a sad thing to me but that's the way it is. I am so amused about how everyone talks about how wonderful quilters are (I do believe most of us are) but there are numerous ones that only validate the fact that they are just like everyone else and not some special breed. Sorry to get off your topic a bit but it really is a sad situation when I am sure many people don't get involved because of what you are saying and what I am trying to say. ;)
    I live in a small community of 12 thousand people. I have just donated a quilt to a fundraiser for the local hospital, and made two tops for a school kids fund raiser for school supplies. Look around... There are always ways you can give to help others nearby.
    Even if it is just a little bit, like some table runners, or patchwork pillows....

Quote Originally Posted by Lobster
    One problem I noticed in the swap I participated in was that people got utterly mixed up with finished vs. unfinished size, even though we did our best to make it clear which was which. So some people got a variety of sizes, for instance one person who was doing a wonky log cabin. She ended up solving it by adding a frame to each block, using three different colours for the frames so that it didn't really matter that they were in varying sizes. This is one reason why I asked for crazy quilt blocks and didn't bother about size, I figured they'd be hard to mess up. Of course, I still got a few odd ones, and several people blithely ignored my request for quilter's cotton with no metallics, but hey, I won't be the one washing the quilt over time, hopefully it'll hold up well. It does also mean that I am doing fairly peculiar sashing with lots of partial seams, as my blocks range from 6" to 12" (with some truly inventive right angles along the way!), but hey, it's fun.
    Once, in a guild, we asked members to make and bring blocks to make a "Thank You" quilt. We asked for a large standard (ruler) size so we could trim them.
    The response was enthuastic. However the block size we got varied.
    But fortunately we had enough larger - and smaller - sets of blocks to make two full sized quilts!
    I wonder how that happens? Do people guess?

Once I participated in a round robin in a local guild.
    It was my first round robin.
    It was for a wall hanging about 43 inches, more or less! We were asked to supply pieces of fabric of the colors we liked at the beginning of the swap, and any requests.... My request was please, only blues and white.
    We were allowed to add fabric, though.
    We each started with a twelve and a half inch block
    I supplied enough white to make a whole quilt of that color.
    I put half yards and fat quarters of various blues in my paper grocery bag.
    The others all chose nature's colors of browns, golds, greens, earth tones....
    We kept all the work secret when we swapped bags of the fabric and partially finished tops - so nobody saw what they were getting until they were all finished!
    We all ended up with really beautiful wall hanging tops!
    I chose to make mine into the center of a queen sized quilt.

Ummm.
    If you get some off sized blocks ...or off color blocks in a swap, how about making a lap sized, or nap sized quilt, a pillow or two, or a tote?
    ...and give them away for charity !
    (Tell the swapper they were extra - and what you did!)

Quote Originally Posted by jpthequilter
    Once I participated in a round robin in a local guild.
    It was my first round robin.
    It was for a wall hanging about 43 inches, more or less! We were asked to supply pieces of fabric of the colors we liked at the beginning of the swap, and any requests.... My request was please, only blues and white.
    We were allowed to add fabric, though.
    We each started with a twelve and a half inch block
    I supplied enough white to make a whole quilt of that color.
    I put half yards and fat quarters of various blues in my paper grocery bag.
    The others all chose nature's colors of browns, golds, greens, earth tones....
    We kept all the work secret when we swapped bags of the fabric and partially finished tops - so nobody saw what they were getting until they were all finished!
    We all ended up with really beautiful wall hanging tops!
    I chose to make mine into the center of a queen sized quilt.
    That sounds neat.

I don't swap blocks any more. The last time there were guidelines about the type of material and the size. Some used non-cotton material and the blocks and the piano keys did not measure the size requested. I ended up taking some of the blocks apart and resizing them.

Blog Entries
    Oh, Diana you are missing the fun of trading blocks. I have a Block Trade in the classifieds right now and there is no danger that you will not get a block as you are exchanging with me.

It is simple, I make Log Cabin blocks, just about one a day and wish to trade with anyone who signs up. They would be making a 9 patch for me.

So if you are interested find the Block trade ad in the classifieds and sign up.

I agree with you re: the colors and designs. Not all of us can afford to go out and buy special fabric for a block and even if we can, mostly I don't even have a response telling me they receive it, whether they liked it or whatever.

The way I'm doing it is not complicated, Very simple and straigjht forward. You be my friend and I'll be yours and we will trade our Good Will.

What a good idea! Oh Dear, but I have to confess I just cannot get excited over any log cabins...just wierd me! - a wayward appliquer.
    But it is such a good idea! THANKS SO MUCH!
    Jeannie

Quote Originally Posted by Hen3rietta
    Do you swap blocks? and if not, why? My question is one of pure curiosity. - I don't any longer.

When I first started seeking fellow quilters on the web I enthusiastically joined a number of swaps of various sorts: FQ's, charms, friendship stars, 12 months, row X row, etc. Now, I find that I'm much less likely to engage in certain kinds of swaps, if any. These are usually the ones that require the use of certain colors or styles (30's repro for example) that change for each participant, or extend over long periods of time (round robins) where you have to rely on the persons preceding you to get your bit out in time. And I've found that with all the block or row swaps I've done, I've yet to assemble a single top from any of them and I'm at a loss to explain why except that none of them move me to want to finish them, even for charity. I donated a number of them to the block orphanage.

After much thought, I've concluded that the annoyance of keeping track of what I send and receive is the primary reason for me, followed closely by picky participants/hostesses who want not only a particular color but a style that I don't have in my stash or a theme fabric that is just not available for one reason or another requiring me to run around trying to find something suitable.

How about the rest of you non-swappers out there?

Diana
    I don't because every ones 1/4"seams were different and I was always unpicking their blocks to make them the right size as all the rest.

I was in a block swap for beginners a few years ago. Five of us from 4 states did a purple 7" square swap. Simply cut 6 7" sq. of any printed purple cotton that looked good together. Then we didn`t have enough sq. to make a queen size quilt, so we each sent 6 more, same rule purple printed cotton that look good together. 1st time we had 30- second time 60 each. In the end we each had a quilt which was part of 5 of us.I don`t know what the rest did, but mine looked nice and I will give it to charity.

Wow! Now I don't feel so badly about being unhappy with the swaps. I first participated in the one block a month swap. I got the first month's block from someone very nice and easy to please, and I liked what she sent. The next month I had a new partner. I used the colors requested, etc. and sent the block right away. I got a pm telling me she really liked it. I waited and waited to get a block from her. After a month, I asked about it. The person wrote back and said that she had just got the block from me that very day, a month after she had already thanked me for it. She said I would be getting a block shortly. I never did get it. I worked hard on the next swap, a 6 block one. I used the same animals that some of you have seen on my place mat pictures. What I got back nearly brought a tear. I must say though, that I absolutely love the sectet pal monthly package swap. It is wonderful. People are kind and generous and happy with the things I send, and I love the fat quarters, etc. that they send me. I am so glad I tried that one.

I did a few swaps in the past, the first one started out as a "anything goes" 12.5 inch block, next thing you know over 1/2 the people wanted something specific, the organizer just added it to the list. I completed my blocks, and the ones I received several went in the trash, a few in my "internet" quilt. I tried another swap, and it did not wor out either, many who signed up dropped out. I did do the millenium 3 inch swap from several states, and countries that went well for me.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4