Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: curious

This one is a good cheater way. I have it and recommend you watch the video to understand the method.

http://www.phillipsfiberart.com/vide...ings that bind

Blog Entries
    Right now, my mother (84 years young) and I are working on a double wedding ring that is pieced. We bought the fabrics and had them laser cut, thinking that would help the accuracy. The only problem is the directions for piecing are not wonderful. Then I saw a book (around $20) by the company that cut the pieces which was much more detailed. I hate to spend the $$ when it should have been okay with directions already sent. So, my advice on the wedding ring is...don't do it this way. No suggestions about a better way...I don't like the looks of the turned applique or other cheater methods...really thought I had this whipped with the laser cuts. They DO help, but need better instructions.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Check out John Flynn's method.....strip piecing with darts......I got the book and found it great.

It is a very nice pattern. I am making one for my daughter, it is taking awhile for me to finish it. I am using paper piecing method. each square is a different fabric. I am using batiks.
    Donna

Blog Entries
    in a group where I sew one lady has finished one and is on her second by paper piecing looks very easy but I don't know who makes the pattern could ask her

You can't go wrong with Marti Michelle templates/patterns. The corners are cut so that every patch meets perfectly. It takes a few more seconds to cut, but worth every bit of time. And it's not that hard to do a Double Wedding Ring, the curves are gentle.
    SandyQuilter

Don't worry about if it is hard or easy. Just get started with one block, take it step by step until that block is done, repeat until you have enough blocks. It does not matter how long it takes, just keep going. It is like the old question of how do you eat an elephant.....one bite at a time.
    two simple rules for success
    1. Show up.
    2. Pay attention.
    One simple rule for happiness
    1. Kindness counts.

Blog Entries
    there was a recent photo of a double wedding ring in here but it wasn't really curves. looked great. i can't remember the designer though. (wasn't Pam Bono) anyone remember??
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Judy Neimeyer as a beautiful Wedding ring that is pretty easy to do.
    "We can never have too much fabric" and "May the Fabric Fairy always keep your stash filled".

Robinlee

I recommend a Quiltsmart interfacing and just sew it. Easiest I know.

I made one for my Daughter 10 years ago and it was easy but darn if I can remember what pattern I used. I remember that the templates were wedges that you pieced together to make the circle. I loved how easy it was to put together.
    Dreaming of New England while being stuck in So. Calif.(the asphalt jungle of the world.) But hey the Happiest Place on Earth is here.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Shar Jorgenson template set!

I have made two cheater DWR quilts and when they are quilted, you would be hard-pressed to tell that they were not pieced. Maybe you could look for some of that fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by bakermom View Post
    Eleanor Burns does a video showing how to make one in her "Egg Money Quilts". she uses Quiltsmart interfacing and a wedge template
    I am going to start a DWR soon for my son and fiance. I actually borrowed Egg Money Quilts to check out the measurement. The book is about making a sampler, and the yardage amounts are only for making two blocks.

After spending an inordinate time on the web looking for yardage amounts, I decided to buy Quiltsmart. In Eleanor's book she tells you to buy Quilt Smart to make the blocks.

On the QS web site, they have a "kit" with foundation interface and wedge tool fr smaller quilts. They do have a "kit" for larger sized quilts. I had to call QS direct and they helped me order the set for larger quilts. (I'm making a king size).

I looked at almost all the methods mentioned above, just read what they were like. I ended up with QS because it sounded right. I think it is a personal decision after looking around.
    http://q-nonnie.blogspot.com

I have this rope in my hands. I can't figure out whether I found a rope or lost my horse.

I love that one, but haven't got the courage to try one yet!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I have been working on one for the last couple of months. I bought a laser cut kit, I hate the cutting part. It is still taking time to sew each of the pieces into the arches but at least I did not spend hours cutting the hundreds of pieces from a template.

I agree with bakermom. That is how I am going to make one, so I don't have to deal with the curves in seams. You can topstitch the wedding rings down with clear thread, and it looks like you hand sewed them on!

Quote Originally Posted by bakermom View Post
    Eleanor Burns does a video showing how to make one in her "Egg Money Quilts". she uses Quiltsmart interfacing and a wedge template

Quote Originally Posted by Carla79 View Post
    Sorry for all the jumbled words gotta love getting used to new phones lol...
    NOT lovin' it! I just upgraded from a Blackberry to a 'smart' phone and there is nothing smart about it! Plus I now keep pressing random screens assuming they are all touch screens. And my fingers are too fat to 'type' on it. And I lisp a little so it doesn't 'get' all of my voice.

Any way I am saving your post as my daughter might get married and I will make them one!
    SueSew
    "If it's messy, eat it over the sink!" Mom

Elonar Burns has one Ive done before.I believe its in the "Egg Money" quilt book.It was very easy to follow and assemble.Give it a try.
    The man who speaks the truth is always at ease

Try a book that is called Rings that Bind. Can't remember the author. The book is still packed in the multiple boxes in the middle of my unfinished sewing room. Simply put it is a double wedding ring that is quilted as you go and when you put on the last circle it is DONE! It is made with strip sets and then using the arch template cutting the 4 pieces that make the circle. Then stitched to the circle backing, layered with batting and front square. Quilt the front square then put 2 circles together back to back and stitch across. Fold over the outer edge and stitch down making the interlocking circles. I am working on one now. Acutally have been for the past 7 years. Hope to fininsh it by my daughters 8th anniversary in September. We keep moving or other life issues keep getting in the way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2