Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Curious- what do you use fancy stitches for? >

Curious- what do you use fancy stitches for?

Curious- what do you use fancy stitches for?

Old 02-02-2019, 04:21 AM

I used to do a lot of garment sewing and used the decorative stitches extensively. I use them from time to time to decorate fabric to use in a quilt-obviously not large pieces. But, sometimes, they give just a special touch. I use the blind hem stitch a lot, the blanket stitch for applique as I prefer it to satin stitch. I wish I took more time to explore them more.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:37 AM

I have granddaughters ages 3 & 5. It's amazing what a ribbon with a decorative stitch down the middle can become - reins for an imaginary horse (tried the cat first, but he finally revolted!) Barbie and self accessories, bookmarks, and of course clothes and quilts.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:39 AM

You can do many things...just think outside the box. Use them instead of a quilt stitch, in rows an inch apart on solid fabric (either a repeat or sampler) (looks good on a table runner or a throw pillow), as an embellishment on blouse cuffs, a crazy quilt effect on scrappy quilts, on the yoke of a little girl’s dress (on white or pastel to make it look like a Strasbourg dress) on christening dresses or bibs, a wedding handkerchief..... just keep thinking
Old 02-02-2019, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Cactus Stitchin View Post
Interesting that you should ask.....I recently found a book, Crocheted Laces and Edges by Cindy Losekamp, that shows how to use multiple decorative stitches to imitate the look of crochet work. (there is a book for each brand of machine) Previewing the information, the decorative stitches are sewn in rows so each attaches to the previous row and the author provides directions and machine settings for each stitch. I haven't tried it yet but it is coming up soon on my "try it" list.
I had completely forgotten about this method. Probably 15-20 years ago I took a class with Cindy Losekamp and we did several of these. I bought the book for my machine and haven't used it since. I will have to try to find it the next time I'm back in Indiana. (I haven't sold my house up there yet and still have some things in different rooms.)
Old 02-02-2019, 07:10 AM

I have made crazy quilt blocks and used the decorative stitches on that. I have also taken classes on Crafty called Stupendous Stitching and have made wall hangings and fabric for purses, zippered pouches, etc...Also use the stitches for quilting on wall hangings.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by magicmoonmusings View Post
Those 'Fold n Stitch Wreath' patterns look really nice when you sew down all the sides using fancy stitches. There's a nice example here, the blue and white one using a contrasting scallop stitch.
I would never have thought to use the decorative stitches like that but it really makes the wreath pop.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:53 AM

Applique, crazy quilt ornaments, quilting, bindings, just for fun.

I'll definitely have to look into that mock-crochet stitch thing, sounds very interesting.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
I love my serpentine stitch for quilting my donation quilts
I often use that stitch for quilting, period.....as in quilts not destined for donation.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
I've used mine for decorative stitched borders on quilt labels, just for fun.
I've done this, too -- once, anyway. I made a family quilt that I gave away at our annual reunion last April, and used a chicken foot stitch -- I don't know what it's really called -- in variegated thread as an outline on the label.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:02 PM

I use my serpentine stitch for quilting and my decorative stitches on clothes and for applique.