Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Curious- what do you use fancy stitches for? >

Curious- what do you use fancy stitches for?

Curious- what do you use fancy stitches for?

Old 02-02-2019, 12:58 PM

I’ve been thinking about using them with pretty threads to create my own designs on fabrics.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:02 PM

I have only used the serpentine stitch. I tried another decorative stitch and broke the needle. I have even have the alphabetic lettering, etc. The dealer that "talked me into this expensive machine" soon quit her shop. Left with no skills to use this machine. I don't need this machine.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:05 AM

Red face Fancy Machine stitches

I like to play with fancy stitches when I make mug rugs. I have also used them to jazz up quilt labels. Some members of our guild use them to stitch the binding down from the front of the quilt when making baby quilts.
Attached Thumbnails front-selvage-mug-rug.jpg   back-selvage-mug-rug.jpg  
Old 02-03-2019, 05:41 AM

I use allot of mine to go around applique. I also do art quilting and use them to form objects...flowers, leaves, trees etc..
Old 02-03-2019, 09:07 AM

In the eighties having circular floor length table cloths for 24" diameter occasional tables was on trend. I thought one either end of the sofa would look great so bought some sheeting to get the width to cut the circles and set about sewing with the scallop satin stitch around the edge. My old Elna coped better if I stayed 1/2" in from the edge; so far so good. The mathematicians amongst you will be able to work out how much trimming next to scallops with embroidery scissors was needed. Oh the blisters. . . . I didn't ever do that again!!!

Currently I play with all the stitches when I make zippy pouches. I use batting to give the pouch a bit of structure and a few lines of fancy stitching in a matching thread adds a little something.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:25 AM

I just finished a throw quilt for my granddaughter and used the alphabet stitches to put her name on the binding. She will take this quilt with her to UAB in the fall.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:29 AM
Power Poster

I'm impressed by your answers, everyone.

I'm a 3 boy Mom so I never really had occasion to use them on the little appliques and things I put on their little clothes. But there are so many uses . Thanks!
Old 02-03-2019, 12:41 PM

I use mine in adding beauty to my craft work and clothing I make for my DGD. I use them on quilt tops and table runners and wall hangings. I made a pillow for my DD's mother in law with a picture of her with all her Grand children and used them to make a frame around the picture and the outside edges. She loves that pillow and I think it turned out very pretty.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:34 PM

I use my fancy stitches to do mending. Did I mention that I hate mending? I hemmed a pair of shorts for my Son in law to wear to work, where I also embroidered a label under the hem that said “ I hate mending -mom”. My DD and I giggled for months every time he wore them. Eventually he saw what I had done ( because DD told him), and still laughs about it.
I should tell you the shorts were navy blue, and the embroidery was done in neon green. Lol.
I leave my mark on everything I mend, but they just keep asking......
Old 02-03-2019, 01:43 PM

Madamekelly, you gave me a good laugh!!!