Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Curved handquilting needle? >

Curved handquilting needle?

Curved handquilting needle?

Old 01-26-2015, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by sewwhat85 View Post
here is the description it does not really sound like it is used for quilting to me.
Product Description
Curved Quilting sewing needles are the quilter’s choice when creating fabric boxes. These sewing needles make the application of sewing together pieces of stiffened fabric so much easier and they are kind on the finger too. This is a must have for every sewing box whether you are a quilter or not and they are an ideal sewing needle to be used for a variety of projects. This pack contains 4 assorted sizes of sewing needles ranging from small to large.
Yes, this product description is for the same old standard curved upholstery needles that have been around for years, not for hand quilting in the sense that we typically mean.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:04 AM

Funny...my gran had a favorite embroidery needle that had a gentle curve to it from years of use. I don't know if it was her favorite because of that curve though, or despite it. It may have even been made that way although I've never seen one like it. Much more gentle curve than the upholstery needles she used to tie her quilts.

I just knew as a kid that was the needle that would get me a swatting with the flyswatter if I dared move it. LOL
Old 01-26-2015, 10:48 AM

I think that the needle could be used for tying quilts, but like everyone else, to do hand quilting, it would be awkward. The only way I see that it might work would be to hold the thread end on the top or the inside curve and to rock the point back and forth, but that would be a lot of wrist action. You would not have to use a thimble on your "push" finger.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:27 AM

These needles are not for hand quilting, but for crafting -- making fabric boxes.

Originally Posted by kindleaddict63 View Post
http://www.jjneedles.com/products/Cu...ted-Sizes.html

Not sure it would be something I could get my head or hands around but for those who can.....I think you can get these on amazon.com site and probably other craft stores too...several makers from john james to dritz.... google curved quilting needles to find more options
Old 01-26-2015, 12:23 PM

My curved needles that look like this are for tying quilts. However, on the front of package it says quilt tying needles, on the back it does say can be used for leather and crafts.I use them for tying my quilts.But straight quilting needles for my hand quilting. I can never imagine it for actual hand quilting.I know that it is a pain in the butt when my hand quilting needles bend or wear thin. It usually only happens when I have only one good needle left of my John James.LOL! I have to order mine...not to be found here in my town.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:59 PM

I have used the curved needles for hand quilting. I did like them very much. I think I got them on Amazon
Old 01-26-2015, 05:41 PM

When you think of the dynamics I think they certainly could be used - just a case of getting use to working with that curve on the needle. I would take forever getting my head around it though! If i had only ever used a curved needle I would probably not even bat an eyelid using it - all about what we have become use to.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by Luv2quilt49 View Post
My sister has a friend that told her they have a curved sewing needle for hand quilting that makes it so much easier to do and get more even stitching. Anyone else ever heard of it and know where you can get it?
I've got curved needles too but they are generally used as upholstery needles. Some are almost circular. You would be sewing single stitches each time.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:35 AM

I just bought some at Hancock's. I found them in the quilting notions department. They made the process much easier.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:37 AM

It's like anything else. What you learn with. Your friend might have used a curved sewing needle and thought she could (or would), use it for quilting. If no one tells you that you cannot or not too, then you might find something that you like and it work for you. Just like quilting, no hard fast rules.