Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is the customer "always" right?

It's her quilt - she can have it any way she wants it. The customer is always right.

What is OSU?Oh,I long for the days we wrote words!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I understand your dilemma. I just finished a quilt for a woman who gave me some fabric as a start that I had no idea how I'd make them work together. When I did the mock up, the lady saw the same thing I saw. I also did a mock up w/ what I envisioned and that helped her see the difference.

I think some people can't really visualize the end product and you have to help them see that. Many can't even visualize the stack of fabrics being transformed into the end quilt.

Take pictures of the design board as you put things together to get her approval. Couple it w/ what your vision is and see where she goes. If she sees the projected end quilt, likes it, approves it, then you've done your due diligence and there shouldn't be any surprises.

good luck!
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

Quote Originally Posted by sherryl1 View Post
    What is OSU?Oh,I long for the days we wrote words!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    In this case, it stands for THE Ohio State University
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    Hmmmm... could it be done in batiks? There are so many fabrics with multi-colors, you might be able to pull it off without making it look weird. Good luck with this one!
    aka Chicken McLittle

If it's true we learn from our mistakes, I'm going to be a genius!

If she comes in with a solid idea of what she wants then that is what she should be given. It is her concept and her quilt.
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

the customer should get what she wants even if it looks different than what you think it shoud be as long as her money is the right shade of green haha

I agree with all of the writers but here is another suggestion. Ask her if she would like the other colors ON THE BACK so she KIND of has TWO beautiful quilts! If she says no, do what she asks for (With half down deposit) and on the label, write designed by ===her=== crafted by ===you===! She will be thrilled by the acknowledgement alone! Good luck to you and let us see the results please. Happy New Year!

Hey if you do not want to make this quilt I WILL! $ is $. PM me and we can discuss!!!!!

also beauty is in the eye of the beholder! I have seen quilts posted on this board that I thought were "ugly" but the maker thought they were lovely. I am sure others have thoiugh the same of mine!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    When it's all said and done it's her quilt. It doesn't matter if it's your taste or colors or whatever. The only thing that matters is she's paying for it and it's her quilt.
    I'd agree with Scissor Queen. It's not your quilt.

Blog Entries
    Trying to figure her concept behind the quilt...maybe she's thinking in terms of the state tree the "buckeye" which is brown and tan...if so,maybe you could suggest to her the buckeye either with or without leaves as corner squares...maybe she just didn't know how else to tie in both the "buckeye tree fruit" and the OSU buckeye emblem...just a thought....................

you can always put designed by her and created by you on the label... lol.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Blog Entries
    I agree with Jillianne. I would show her what it would look like. Non quilters just don't understand. My SIL who is an art teacher used to try to get me to put together some weird color combinations that just didn't work. He would talk all this color theory and complimentary colors etc. Some of that just doesn't work in a quilt.
    TO add those colors to an OSU quilt just wouldn't look right. Most true OSU fans would die at adding brown or tan to anything OSU. Good luck educating her.

Blog Entries
    I think I would get the body of the quilt made and then call her in and audition some of the colors she has suggested

I am one of those folks who can't visualize the end product. Your customer may very well be the same way. In my case, I would appreciate a "mock up." It can't hurt to try, but the final decision, of course, will be hers. I think you are a very thoughtful quilter to be wanting a happy customer in the end. Imagine how bad it would be if she hated the end result and you hadn't shown her a "mock up" or expressed your concern?

Dina

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
    I have already received half of the quoted price...that way I am covered for the cost of materials if she doesn't pay second half. I agree with the mock up idea and will see what I can make up....I don't have EQ, so will just draw up something and show her.
    Let us know what she decides, especially after she sees a mock up! Maybe you could put a disclaimer on your label, like"designed by ----------, constructed and quilted by" your name here"
    Blessed Be
    Darlene

Ohio State Quilt

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
    I am in process of making a quilt for a customer who wants a combination of the OSU "O" (with black, gray and red borders) and adding some outer borders in browns and tans so the quilt kind of blends into her bedroom. Being a Buckeye fan, I love making the "O", but don't understand adding browns and tans. If the biggest part of a quilt is scarlet red, gray, and black....how does it blend with a room that is mostly brown? I guess I see it as a Buckeyes quilt and adding anything but gray or red is a travesty. It's a paying job and she will get it the way she wants....but it will also have my name label on it, so others will know who made it that way. How do you make something when you can't see the beauty in it? Am I being unreasonable....too much of a true fan?
    Would you post a picture of the quilt when you have it finished? Love Ohio State quilts!!!

Could you post a picture of your Ohio State Quilt - I love to see the different ones. Go Bucks - Thanks!!

If it turns out really ugly, I wouldn't bother with a label. I'd quilt it like she wants it and send it on it's way to it's new home.

No the Customer is not always right. However in this case they are paying you to make what THEY want, so in that they are right

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2