Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Customers who DON'T PAY

Blog Entries
    I do occassionally make quilts "to order", most of the time because my customer wants something only I am crazy enough to attempt!
    One lady contacted me about making a queen-sized quilt, matching pillow shams and curtains for three windows, she was willing to pay $300 for all! I don't do curtains (well, I do, for me) and once I sent her a quote with all the fabric prices she was happy and willing to pay $350 for the quilt and shams...some people just don't realize the cost of materials until you explain it to them. Fortunately, she got it!
    I sent another customer a quote, and she called me back to tell me that "for that price she could buy several quilts at Walmart"! I wonder how her quilts are holding up? :wink:

Patrice said it all.

Quote Originally Posted by harvsstuff
    Years ago I was told to stand in front of a mirror and practice saying "NO" over and over again. I've had no problems since. Family and friends can be the worst to do business with.
    My husband had me practice the same thing!! :oops:

My son is into making furniture. He had hand crafted some wonderful pieces for me. Items that will be treasured forever, like a quilt. You would be surprised how many people balk at the price he puts on his custom work. I love it when they say, I could buy it for 20 bucks at Wal Mart. Kevin says, go buy it!! :roll:

I had the same problem when doing stained glass. Price of glass, tools, and ER bills ( :roll: -- okay - so I'm a klutz) would put the prices WAY above those pieces that come from China and are sold at Kmart, Penny's, etc.
    I've had people ask me if I'm going to sell the quilts I'm making now. I point out I have 11 grandkids to make quilts for.....and that a queen size quilt is approx $150. for JUST the top - not including batting, backing, labor. That stops them cold. I do have 2 people waiting for me to get comfortable with the Longarm that I'll do work for. Good info on getting costs up front and everything in writing!!!!

I totally agree with all the ladies suggestions that you give it back. This may be a lesson that is hard to swallow, but it is the Honest thing to do.

Sorry for her but at her loss another ones treasure.Blessings,vickie :-D

Quote Originally Posted by quilt-n-frenz
    Sorry for her but at her loss another ones treasure.Blessings,vickie :-D

I'd give it back to her in the same condition she gave it to me, which means I'd remove every stitch of quilting I put into it.

It might be petty, but I'm not giving away 9 hours of work for nothing, even if it takes another 9 hours to undo it. And I'm not giving her the batting and backing, either.

If she made the top, she knows exactly how much it costs for the batting and backing and how much time is involved in quilting it.

I dont think people realize what all goes into making a blanket or quilt.It can be costly we all know that but some people are ignorant and think it should be free or as you say...dont pay.Just the time alone is costly to a point.You leave all behind to make someone happy and then get treated the way you do?She would never ask again for a quilt.Just my 2 cents....blessings,vickie
    Dont fret over it,have a great day and smile anyways. :D

I made and donated a quilt for the annual Christmas auction one year. Can't remember the size, but it almost covered the top of a full size bed. Anyway, after the auction a lady called and told me how beautiful the quit was and it brought $35 dollars. She thought that was wonderful. Heck I paid more that, just for the fabric and batting. I didn't donate one the next year. I would have been better off just to donate the $35.00.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I must admit, I am confused:
    The "friend" asked you to finish a quilt and she would pay for it. Then when you quoted her a price, she flipped and basically pulled out of HER obligation to pay. Yet, you say that you are "stuck with a UFO" which suggests that you have the unfinished quilt in your possession. What did I miss that could possibly give you a sense of disconcern.

She pulled out of her obligation to pay, so you should not feel one moment of concern when you pull out of your agreement. You were going to finish it for a price. No money no work. I'd give the UFO back. Simple as that. If she's a friend she'll get it. If not, no great loss either way.

Blog Entries
    I to have been confronted with 'big box store price comparison'.

Many yrs ago, I was sharing a over sized queen quilt that I has just finished. Some of my bowling friends did the ohhh and ahhhs, then one lady came up asked "oh, do you make quilts for others and what would you charge?". I explain, the size, pattern, quilting and blah, blah, can make a difference. She then asked, "Well, for example, if you would sell this quilt, what would you charge?". I do some quick rough math, and reply "$800 - $1,000" Her mouth dropped open, but then she replies "Well, see if I ever use you to make me a quilt!" Some people DON"T get it.

We all want a good deal. But the old saying "you get what you pay for".

Power Poster
    I think I got misplaced at the part where you quoted a price and she seemed surprised at the $ you gave her.

Why did she bring the quilt to you then, if that amount seemed to bother her so much?

And as far as that goes, why did you agree to do something with it if she seemed unhappy with the $ quoted.

And when did ownership of this pass to you from her?

Two lessons I have learned:

1) Try to see what might be involved in a project before committing to it - and estimate high. I've learned not to agree to anything "sight unseen" (Exceptions - accepting my children when they were born)

2) Even if a friend says "Will you do a favor for me - - - -" - my usual response is "It depends - - - - need to know what it is before I commit to anything"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluphrog
    I'd give it back to her in the same condition she gave it to me, which means I'd remove every stitch of quilting I put into it.

It might be petty, but I'm not giving away 9 hours of work for nothing, even if it takes another 9 hours to undo it. And I'm not giving her the batting and backing, either.

If she made the top, she knows exactly how much it costs for the batting and backing and how much time is involved in quilting it.
    I agree, this is what I would do too!

I feel you have to keep friendship out of business. Prevents hard feelings and lost friendships afterwards. When I used to do textile restoration as a career all "Jobs" were written up in my order book. A written quotation was provided with the cost of materials. Materials were paid up front. For long-term jobs, then progress payments were made for labour. In my Terms and Conditions, all jobs had to be paid in full before I released their item. If not, it was MINE. Luckily, this never happened. Afterwards, I gave them a receipt (never mess with the Inland Revenue!). Also, I was not responsible for anything that came framed. In addition, I reserved the right to take photographs of my work and use them for my portfolio and for teaching purposes.

Since I retired from the Upholstery business, people ask me to recover their furniture. I tell them no, then they comeback with name your price, so I tell them $1500.00 labor for a sofa plus materials (which is totally outrageous labor price). As a result either I never see them again or the subject isn't brought up again.

My common practice was to get 1/2 down on the fabric and the rest on delivery. If they didn't pay when the piece arrived, I went back to the shop with the piece in tow, storage fees were incurred if the piece was left for more than 30 days. . I have actually repossessed several pieces of furniture because of NFS on a check that was wrote to me.

Not every realizes what goes into a job, whether it's making a quilt or building a piece of furniture.

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunflower Girl
    I think if was a "real friend" she wouldn't have spoken to you that way. By the way, ask her (if she works) does she get paid? If you do it for a living she would understand - - - it is no different that ordering Pampered Chef or Avon or anything else, even if you do it on the side. Take her on shopping trip and let her buy fabric and supplies for your next quilt and maybe she will get an idea of what it costs to make a quality product. Pack it up and send it back to her before you get started on it.

She had started it, didn't want to finish it....I'm going to finish it. Not sure what I'll do with this one. She's not getting it back. May try to sell it at LQS or on ebay. I haven't got anything in it except for labor about 9 hours, and counting. It's gonna be beautiful and when it's done I'll post photos. Maybe one of you will need a quick gift. :)
    I think you need to think about this a bit more. Clearly there is no obligation on your part to finish it. However, the materials were purchased by her and I didn't see where she gave them to you. You made a mistake by starting it without a clear written agreement and/or a deposit. I don't think you want to make it worse by keeping her materials. She clearly doesn't understand the value of what we do. Consider it a lesson well learned and chalk it up to experience.

Hobo, that was a great story. A quilt is never perfect and that is the charm of it. I would never even consider a consignment. I only do what I love and if someone is interested to purchase, we can make a good deal.

For an example. My cinco di mayo? I have been asked several times of the price. I say 12 grand and I don't blink eigher. 400 hours is a lot of work and I don't do slave labour hahahhahahaha

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosyhf
    Hobo, that was a great story. A quilt is never perfect and that is the charm of it. I would never even consider a consignment. I only do what I love and if someone is interested to purchase, we can make a good deal.

For an example. My cinco di mayo? I have been asked several times of the price. I say 12 grand and I don't blink eigher. 400 hours is a lot of work and I don't do slave labour hahahhahahaha
    That sound about right to me. $29 per hour plus the fabric.

Gladstone, Oregon by way of Washington(the state)
    I say hang on to it.
    When and if she asks for it back, hand her a bill for services rendered to date as well as storage charges.
    Explain to her that "She no pay she no get"(that is sarcasm there). But the truth none the less.
    Most if not all places where you leave something, has the policy that if it stays for more than 60 days without payment or having made other arrangements it becomes the property of the person doing the work.
    If she was a "friend" she would understand that you were giving her a deal in the first place. Come on now. If a mechanic has to fix what you screwed up, he's gonna charge extra to take it back apart to repair it properly.
    Sorry but she sounds pretty selfish to me.
    I do not see that you have done anything wrong, nor should you have to give it back if you have already started working on it.
    I'm thinking that she may be embarressed to come back. Seeing as how she made a fool of herself for saying that to you. She should be ashamed of herself.
    You should have asked her if she kisses her Mama with that mouth... LOL!!!
    And that Ladies is only my opinion...:-D
    :XD:

I personally wouldn't want it around as a reminder! I'd give it back quickly. It is hers IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    Is this right?
    A friend asks if you'd finish a quilt she started.
    You give her an estimate, discuss what she wants, and start working on it.
    You then give her a firm price of $250 because you will have to buy backing.
    She balks and is rude to you, in your opinion (we cannot hear her tone of voice remember, it could easily have been sarcasm).
    Now you are confiscating her quilt, plan to sell it and keep the proceeds for yourself.
    Is that all a friendship is worth to you? Nine hours of doing something that you say you love to do anyway?

Return it to her, as is, and chalk it up to experience. All you have lost is time. Never again do business with someone before you have a written agreement in hand.
    OK let me clear THIS air. She insisted that I keep the quilt. She TOLD me to try and sell it, if I do actually sell it I will send her $$ she paid for the shipping. No! honey, friendship is worth a LOT more then that. Rude ~ yes, sarcasm ~ no.

I don't normally do business with friends because 90% of my friends quilt....

I would return the quilt. I could not in good conscience keep it around and then walk away never to look back. "Friends" like her are a dime a dozen.

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    I must admit, I am confused:
    The "friend" asked you to finish a quilt and she would pay for it. Then when you quoted her a price, she flipped and basically pulled out of HER obligation to pay. Yet, you say that you are "stuck with a UFO" which suggests that you have the unfinished quilt in your possession. What did I miss that could possibly give you a sense of disconcern.

She pulled out of her obligation to pay, so you should not feel one moment of concern when you pull out of your agreement. You were going to finish it for a price. No money no work. I'd give the UFO back. Simple as that. If she's a friend she'll get it. If not, no great loss either way.
    Trouble is she is 1300 miles away, I'm not paying for the shipping, and she said to keep it. Otherwise I just might send it back.

Gladstone, Oregon by way of Washington(the state)
    Then go a step further and gift it to a deserving Charity. That way she's done something nice for someone, even if she isn't. Oh and by the way there was no $ made so she gets $0.00
    Did I say that outloud? :shock:
    Sorry again my opinion...
    :XD:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast