Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Customers who DON'T PAY

Blog Entries
    I did the same thing. Donated a lap quilt, totaly hand appliqued and quilted. It was for a special nephew that had suffered a stroke at age 50. I thought it would bring in a good amount, well it did $45. Then got a thank you, they thought it was a lot of money! People that don't due this ,don't have a clue!!

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by everybody's mother
    I did the same thing. Donated a lap quilt, totaly hand appliqued and quilted. It was for a special nephew that had suffered a stroke at age 50. I thought it would bring in a good amount, well it did $45. Then got a thank you, they thought it was a lot of money! People that don't due this ,don't have a clue!!

When I donate, I give something smaller, like a table runner or a wall hanging. It usually brings in $15 to $20 but that stings less than $45 for a lap quilt.

Honey I understand what you are saying but send it back chalk it up to a lesson learned and next time if there is one get half(at Least) of what you want in a deposit and dont do any work until you get your deposit
    Friendship is friendship and work is work is what my 91 year old MIL is always saying to me when this happens to me

Thanks sweetie! I really appreciate all the comments, good and not so much....

Lesson learned ... you bet! Since she is so far away I am keeping it as she insisted. It will be a HOT day in Antarctica before I do it again.

Piece y'all!

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff
    Hey hindsight i'm in Griffin too. Where do you teach?
    Sub @ JHE, mostly. Do some others also, but my <3 belongs to JHE.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    Is this right?
    A friend asks if you'd finish a quilt she started.
    You give her an estimate, discuss what she wants, and start working on it.
    You then give her a firm price of $250 because you will have to buy backing.
    She balks and is rude to you, in your opinion (we cannot hear her tone of voice remember, it could easily have been sarcasm).
    Now you are confiscating her quilt, plan to sell it and keep the proceeds for yourself.
    Is that all a friendship is worth to you? Nine hours of doing something that you say you love to do anyway?
    WRONG!!! Hindsight did not charge more than the estimate she quoted. The quilt is hers until/unless the Deadbeat pays up. If you took your car into a repair shop, and then refused to pay the bill, you would not get your car back, and the law would not give it back to you.
    And her words were very rude, regardless of the tone. She could have said it with sugar dripping from the words, and it would still have been rude, sarcastic, and uncalled for. I love my job, but I for darned sure am not going to do it for free. Especially when a fee-for-service has already been discussed and agreed on. With friends like that, you don't need enemies.

GAIGAI~ Thank YOU thank YOU thank YOU!!!! :-D

A work colleague(male) asked if I would make three of "those bedthings" for a cottage he had bought. We agreed on colours etc. I made and completed two which he came to collect I gave him a bill for 175(for the two! I was a bit naive in those days!) but he only had 30 in his wallet and said he.d have to get the rest next day!! I got the money: he didn.t get the third quiltd. He had seen some chinese made ones in the market and thought I would make them cheaper!!! Don.t take commisions just make what I like and if others like thats fine!!

Quote Originally Posted by susiequilt
    I personally wouldn't want it around as a reminder! I'd give it back quickly. It is hers IMHO
    I would return it too. She will forever consider you a thief if you keep it. Better to clear yourself of the matter. You wouldn't really enjoy finishing it anyway. Good riddance. Life is too short.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DebraK
    Quote Originally Posted by susiequilt
    I personally wouldn't want it around as a reminder! I'd give it back quickly. It is hers IMHO
    I would return it too. She will forever consider you a thief if you keep it. Better to clear yourself of the matter. You wouldn't really enjoy finishing it anyway. Good riddance. Life is too short.
    Are you guys nuts? The Deadbeat is the thief! She contracted for services and then refused to pay!!! Like I said, if you paid a mechanic to repair your car and then refused to pay, that car is HIS until you do pay. That's not only the law, it's fair. Or do you really expect people to do work for you for free?

And I would keep it as a reminder never to do the same thing again.

What a terrible experience. It's bad enough that a non-quilter doesn't realize what actually goes into a quilt, but for a "friend" who does - or did - quilt??

As she's indicated to you that she's not going to pay and that you should keep/sell it, I'd say you have every right to do so.

I do kind of like the donating it to a charity idea. Something good comes out of the whole mess. If you itemize your taxes, you could also list it on that as a donation & recoup a bit that way.

It's awful to see what the pieces donated by others have sold for. Yikes!! You might look into donating it to a charity that would not be selling it. For example, a shelter, a hospice, a Ronald McDonald House, etc. Depending on the quilt, and what the style is, you could request that it be given to a child, abused woman, homeless person, etc.

Look at it this way: You've learned a lot about doing business from this "transaction," and have the opportunity to make a sour project have a sweet ending.

Gladstone, Oregon by way of Washington(the state)
    And there ya have it......

Blog Entries
    I always have the person asking me to make a quilt for them meet me at the nearest quilt shop. I tell them how much yardage is needed for the pattern they want and then let them start selecting the fabrics. I then say we need batting, piecing thread and quilting thread. My cost to make the quilt will be 3 1/2 times the cost of supplies that you will buy today and you will get the finished quilt when your check clears or I have cash in my hand. This way if they don't pay me for my labor, I have a very nice quilt to keep

Blog Entries
    What a sad mess. It's really unfortunate that this happened to you. I would not continue to work on it and would probably just tuck it away for a 'time out' until I cooled down about the whole situation. I would probably just send it back to her or give it to a charity, chalk it up to experience and then try to forget it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight
    Is this right?
    She balks and is rude to you, in your opinion (we cannot hear her tone of voice remember, it could easily have been sarcasm).
    Now you are confiscating her quilt, plan to sell it and keep the proceeds for yourself.
    Is that all a friendship is worth to you? Nine hours of doing something that you say you love to do anyway?

Return it to her, as is, and chalk it up to experience. All you have lost is time. Never again do business with someone before you have a written agreement in hand.
    OK let me clear THIS air. She insisted that I keep the quilt. She TOLD me to try and sell it, if I do actually sell it I will send her $$ she paid for the shipping. No! honey, friendship is worth a LOT more then that. Rude ~ yes, sarcasm ~ no.

I don't normally do business with friends because 90% of my friends quilt....
    With more information, I have changed my mind. You have a right to do anything you want. As for postage, forget it! I wouldn't give it to her. She can learn her lesson, as well as you have learned yours. Call it storage fees.

It really sounds to me like she sent you the quilt and probably expected you to say "Oh, you're a friend, I won't charge you" or probably charge much less- again, because you were friends.

I think all the advice on here when dealing with "customers" is very good advice. A hard lesson learned, but maybe it will save some of us heartbreak on down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    With more information, I have changed my mind. You have a right to do anything you want.
    Exactly. There were big gaps in the original information posted.

I think it was all on how it was interpreted, no big gaps at all.

Is this right?

Return it to her, as is, and chalk it up to experience. All you have lost is time. Never again do business with someone before you have a written agreement in hand.
    as i understand it, the 'ballpark' price of 250 was agreed upon before the work began, so the price shouldn't have been a surprise. it sounds like if she liked it enough she would have completed it herself. she obviously didn't like it enough to pay for it's completion, even though she agreed to the price. this is a woman who didn't value the work, the quilt or the friendship. poo on her.

AGREED!!!!
    POO POO

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbaltjars62
    I think it was all on how it was interpreted, no big gaps at all.
    We didn't know from the first posting that the friend told her to sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by jayelee
    Honey I understand what you are saying but send it back chalk it up to a lesson learned and next time if there is one get half(at Least) of what you want in a deposit and dont do any work until you get your deposit
    Friendship is friendship and work is work is what my 91 year old MIL is always saying to me when this happens to me
    SEND IT BACK?? WHY IN THE WORLD??? the reason she's saying to keep it and sell it is because she knows she's wrong and is embarrassed at the amount she owes, not out of love. she thinking that whatever money the quilt brings in will compensate for the amount she owes. NOT :evil: she did a terrible thing to a friend and is now trying to make nice without paying a dime. she should be ashamed of herself. if you washed someone's windows or cleaned their home and they refused to pay you because it didn't really cost you anything, would you smile and say it's okay, i had nothing else to do for 9 hours anyway except clean your house and get tricked by a friend? where can i find a housemaid like that? how great would that be? everyone who suggests that she give back the quilt and expect no payment has obviously never been stung for a promised $250. and 9 hours. she lost money and she lost time and she lost what she thought was a friend. she should at least try to get back some money.

she'll never get back the time and she shouldn't want back that friend.

Since you have added the comment that she told you to keep the quilt, then by all means do so. Finish it up nicely and donate it to a Women's Shelter, Nursing Home, Veterans Hospital or some place like that.

Why you would want to keep it as a reminder not to do it again is beyond me. Lesson learned, get it out of the house, move on.

Blog Entries
    to summarize:

the "friend" refused to pay the final price, which was within the original range they discussed.

the "friend" gave her the quilt so she could do with it as she pleases. that includes the right to donate or sell it to recover her costs.

the "friend" behaved very badly, so we can't say she did the right thing. however, she did do the next best thing.

Hindsight has reviewed all the advice and opinions presented and made her decision.

case closed.

i think it's time we all took off our cranky pants and got back to the fun stuff.

pretty please, with sugar on top?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3