Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
cut chenille blanket? >

cut chenille blanket?

cut chenille blanket?

Old 12-30-2014, 05:23 PM

I made one for my daughter 20 + years ago. It is her favorite of all the ones I've made for her. She's wanting another one. Warning do not use electric scissors to cut the flannel I burned up two doing my daughters. I'm investing in a chenille cutter for the next one. Lol
Old 12-30-2014, 07:40 PM

Thanks for all the replies and tips! I think next time I spot some fabric that I love enough to use whole cloth, I am totally going to make one of these!
Old 12-30-2014, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by romille View Post
I just stumbled on this page last night: http://www.aestheticnest.com/2010/08...ille-baby.html

This is new to me... has anyone else done it? How did it turn out? Is it soft? Warm? Glad you did it? I am intrigued, and considering making a lap quilt to snuggle on the couch.
I've got a jacket on my bucket list.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:16 PM

I've not made an entire chenille quilt, but I have made chenille bias to decorate and trim quilts. One was a baby quilt with animals. I put chenille trim around the elephant's ears and the end of his tail; chenille as the lion's mane and on the giraffe's neck, etc. On another quilt, I used chenille trim on the edge of drunkard's path blocks.

I did not use flannel for these, I used regular quilting cotton. I cut it on the bias, then stacked 3-4 layers together and stitched them onto the quilt. It adds wonderful texture.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:47 AM

Made two chenille sewing machine mats about 10 years ago. Gave one to BFF as I only had one machine back then. we both still use them.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:42 AM

I did this one in green...http://homemadebyjill.blogspot.com/2...y-blanket.html
A lot of fun and challenging to cut!
Old 01-01-2015, 04:46 AM

I've made 4-5 chenille baby quilts. I used a chenille cutter & yes you have to keep twisting the blade & getting the fuzz out. I've learned to put a light color as my back base, the one I don't cut. When i used orange,I cried when it went from washer to dryer. It looked pink. It was for a boy. All was good once it was dried. They use it a lot...the parents say its heavy & warm. Makes me feel good when I see baby pics on FB and he's playing on the quilt.

Last edited by stitchngo; 01-01-2015 at 04:55 AM.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:04 AM

In my early years of quilting, I made Chenille quilts. They are fun and they are different, because when you sew you plan you have one look (because you only see top and bottom). Then when you cut you have a second look, but then when you was you have still a third look - your Chenille blanket. I have used both kinds of Chenille cutters and I have also use my small special scissors too. When you start out, use a Chenille cutter. You need to get the feel of the cutting and how deep you go. After you've made a few then you can use scissors, because you know to go deep but not too deep. For me I didn't like the Olfa cutter, I used the other (think it's Clover). It has a handle and two different lips (for lifting the fabric you want to cut), one is for wide Chenille and the other is for narrow Chenille (you could change the lip as you wanted to change the look). Just remember Chenille is nice and it looks great and is fun to do, but like quilting it comes at a price (because you're using so much fabric we use a lot in quilting, but it all shows this adds fluff - more fabric more fluff). Good luck and have lots of fun
Old 01-01-2015, 08:00 AM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

Originally Posted by katesnanna View Post
Made two chenille sewing machine mats about 10 years ago. Gave one to BFF as I only had one machine back then. we both still use them.
To put under your machine? Tell me more....
Old 01-01-2015, 10:49 AM

I made 3 chenille lap quilts one year for the kids for Christmas ... they are so soft and I just love them ... I made another one for DH but I use it more than he does. It was a little tedious sewing row after row and a little bulky at times but worth the effort!