Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: cut chenille blanket?

cut chenille blanket?

I just stumbled on this page last night: http://www.aestheticnest.com/2010/08...ille-baby.html

This is new to me... has anyone else done it? How did it turn out? Is it soft? Warm? Glad you did it? I am intrigued, and considering making a lap quilt to snuggle on the couch.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I did a pillow a long time ago for myself. Loved it and have not thought much about chenille since except to wear like a sweater. Thanks for sharing the link!

IQ2
    I made a chenille scarf from a McCall's Quilting Magazine pattern. It called for layers of homespun fabric cut on the bias. I bought a chenille cutter at JoAnn's. It really did come out amazing...and yes, soft. That being said, like Tessagin I haven't thought about it since...but it was fun and the result was great.

Power Poster
    It really does make a wonderful blanket. I used 5 layers of good quality flannel (2 as the base right sides out with 3 layers to cut on top) but you can use regular fabric for the base as she does? Just make sure that the layers you are going to cut are flannel so they "chenille" when washed. The chenille cutter looks great but I used my spring loaded scissors to cut my layers. Be extra careful not to cut your base!
    I also made sure to sew every other 45* row in opposite directions. If you sew them all in one direction you will end up with a parallelagram (sp) instead of a square or rectangle.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1330
Size:  260.0 KB

Blog Entries
    I love these quilts! So soft and cuddly and warm. If you make one, a word of caution, check your dry lint trap every 15 minutes or so. These quilts create a lot of lint and could be the cause of a fire. I always took mine to the laundry and used their dryer because they are so much larger than my home dryer. You will get lots of practice sewing a straight seam! LOL But so worth the effort! If you have a walking foot that will help keep the layers together. And be sure to sew on the bias. I had a friend who made one on the straight of grain and could understand why it fell apart.

Blog Entries
    every time i go to Material Rewards in Dansville NY, i have to pet the green chenille they have displayed there. i'd love to make one for myself.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    I designed a crib quilt for a friend's grandbaby who was born in October. The center was a large pumpkin, made of assorted orange print blocks and chenilled. (Is that a word?) I don't have a picture, but it made a fun quilt!

It is funny that you brought this topic up now. I saw a baby blanket on pinterest the other day and have plans to just take some scraps or fat quarters and make a doll blanket for my granddaughter's b-day. Then if it works like it shows I might tackle baby blankets for my twin grandbabies due in June.

Tartan, thanks for the heads-up on sewing in different directions.
    I also made sure to sew every other 45* row in opposite directions. If you sew them all in one direction you will end up with a parallelagram (sp) instead of a square or rectangle.
    June

Yes, I've made a blanket (with 4 layers of flannel), a rug (with 3 layers of denim and 3 layers of flannel), and 6 pot holders (with 3 layers of denim and 3 layers of flannel). They are awesome! You really don't want to cut with scissors! Use the Olfa Chenille cutter. It just zips right through the layers. You have to keep turning the blade and picking the fuzzies out, but it sure is a lot easier than scissors.
    Annette in Utah

I made one for my daughter 20 + years ago. It is her favorite of all the ones I've made for her. She's wanting another one. Warning do not use electric scissors to cut the flannel I burned up two doing my daughters. I'm investing in a chenille cutter for the next one. Lol

Thanks for all the replies and tips! I think next time I spot some fabric that I love enough to use whole cloth, I am totally going to make one of these!

Quote Originally Posted by romille View Post
    I just stumbled on this page last night: http://www.aestheticnest.com/2010/08...ille-baby.html

This is new to me... has anyone else done it? How did it turn out? Is it soft? Warm? Glad you did it? I am intrigued, and considering making a lap quilt to snuggle on the couch.
    I've got a jacket on my bucket list.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    I've not made an entire chenille quilt, but I have made chenille bias to decorate and trim quilts. One was a baby quilt with animals. I put chenille trim around the elephant's ears and the end of his tail; chenille as the lion's mane and on the giraffe's neck, etc. On another quilt, I used chenille trim on the edge of drunkard's path blocks.

I did not use flannel for these, I used regular quilting cotton. I cut it on the bias, then stacked 3-4 layers together and stitched them onto the quilt. It adds wonderful texture.

Blog Entries
    Made two chenille sewing machine mats about 10 years ago. Gave one to BFF as I only had one machine back then. we both still use them.

I did this one in green...http://homemadebyjill.blogspot.com/2...y-blanket.html
    A lot of fun and challenging to cut!

I've made 4-5 chenille baby quilts. I used a chenille cutter & yes you have to keep twisting the blade & getting the fuzz out. I've learned to put a light color as my back base, the one I don't cut. When i used orange,I cried when it went from washer to dryer. It looked pink. It was for a boy. All was good once it was dried. They use it a lot...the parents say its heavy & warm. Makes me feel good when I see baby pics on FB and he's playing on the quilt.
    Last edited by stitchngo; 01-01-2015 at 04:55 AM.

In my early years of quilting, I made Chenille quilts. They are fun and they are different, because when you sew you plan you have one look (because you only see top and bottom). Then when you cut you have a second look, but then when you was you have still a third look - your Chenille blanket. I have used both kinds of Chenille cutters and I have also use my small special scissors too. When you start out, use a Chenille cutter. You need to get the feel of the cutting and how deep you go. After you've made a few then you can use scissors, because you know to go deep but not too deep. For me I didn't like the Olfa cutter, I used the other (think it's Clover). It has a handle and two different lips (for lifting the fabric you want to cut), one is for wide Chenille and the other is for narrow Chenille (you could change the lip as you wanted to change the look). Just remember Chenille is nice and it looks great and is fun to do, but like quilting it comes at a price (because you're using so much fabric we use a lot in quilting, but it all shows this adds fluff - more fabric more fluff). Good luck and have lots of fun

Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by katesnanna View Post
    Made two chenille sewing machine mats about 10 years ago. Gave one to BFF as I only had one machine back then. we both still use them.
    To put under your machine? Tell me more....

I made 3 chenille lap quilts one year for the kids for Christmas ... they are so soft and I just love them ... I made another one for DH but I use it more than he does. It was a little tedious sewing row after row and a little bulky at times but worth the effort!

Red face

What a fabulous idea ! We have a fairly new Granddaughter that would LOVE one of these ! Thank you for the link.