Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cut finger on rotatry cutter

A friend cut her finger with a rotary cutter at my house. It was a bit scary to see all that blood and mess. It convinced me I needed to buy a Klutz glove and fast!

I hope your finger heals quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by luvstitches
    Another accident to avoid is rotary cutting with bare feet.
    I know a lady that had to have stitches on the top of her foot from the rotary cutter falling fast and hard on the top of her foot.
    eeewww! Never thought of that happening....
    And yes, I have cut my left index finger pretty good before. It's pathetic to say, but all I could think is "I want my Mommy!" I was like 38....but it hurt! :roll:

Yep, then I learned to be VERY careful of where I put my thumb, thank goodness for nails. It didn't go very deep. I tried the holder, found I hated it, I tried the glove, refuse to wear it and my ruler slips out from under my hand when I used it. Mostly I just try to be careful now......... oh and I stopped using a rotary cutter when sitting in the front of an ambulance waiting for a call- also very important to remember.

I did that last fall - required 7 stitches in the tip of my left index finger. Now I use the suction handle with my main ruler when cutting strips

The problem with most rotary cutter brands is that they're really aren't safe to use. The blade guards don't automatically activate when you relax pressure on the cutter or mat. I've been in the business for a number of years selling scissors and rotary cutters, and there's only one brand that I really consider safe to use because it does just that. The guard activates when the pressure on the cutter is reduced, and you can even set the depth of cutter blade. It has three settings - light fabrics, lock and heavy fabrics.

Happy Scissoring,

Scissorman

Sorry about your "owie". Done it more than once myself, one time pretty bad.

I have...more than once, but thankfully, nothing that required stitches. Usually happens when I am tired, and know I should quit for the night, and decide to cut for just a few more minutes. I haven't done it in a long time...finally know better than to cut when tired.

small town between Baltimore/Annapolis MD
    This is scareing me! I've never cut myself (should I say "yet"??). Probably only b/c I'm a newbie and still very careful. Plus I'm sure just due to the odds - the more one does something the higher the odds of getting hurt.

Senior Member Karen's Kreations's Avatar
    Just did it on Sunday - not for the first time!

I never really thought about using a rotary cutter while barefoot and you would think I would have since I have knocked scissors off the table and almost into my foot. So far I haven't cut myself with a rotary cutter but I have done it with some really sharp pointed scissors. Talk about feeling dumb.

oh yes i cut my finger pretty bad cut the side right off, had to go to the doc, now i have a finger that has a slant on it lol

I took a class and the instructor had months before the class cut her through her thumb really bad, she had to have stitches. She had a real bad scar too. Be careful

Quote Originally Posted by 4EVERquilt
    I took a class and the instructor had months before the class cut her through her thumb really bad, she had to have stitches. She had a real bad scar too. Be careful
    I'm sorry to hear this about the instructor.

For all of those reading this posting....one of the biggest things to do to avoid scarring is to keep the wound constantly covered with ointment. The ointment , the triple antibiotic ointment, any brand such as Neosporin or generic will do. Also soak daily to keep clean followed with ointment. Continue to apply ointment throughout the day.

I had close to 100 stitches in a 1 inch area of two fingers. I was told to follow this instruction to avoid scarring and it worked for me, no scarring anywhere.

Pam M

Quote Originally Posted by bisseau
    Bought this the other day to help hold my ruler steady and hopefully prevent cutting accidents (had one small one). So far I like it but the jury is still out. At least I can use it near my bathtub to help me get in and out after my next knee replacement... Anyone else use these?

Gripper

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-123792-1.htm
    Hi all,

There is a small gripper that also works great for small hands and small rulers. It is cheaper than the larger gripper.

A similar small gripper is available in a different color at HF, Harbor Freight that is even cheaper than the purple small gripper. You can get two (at the cheaper price) for almost the price of one (at the fabric store price) for those on limited budgets.

The grippers combined with the ruler guards, gloves and shoes are well worth the money spent to avoid injury. Another word of warning is to stop cutting when you get tired. It's better to wait until rested to continue.

Pam M

I have done that a few times myself. :)

You are not alone - I've done that to and it hurt like crazy. Didn't have to get stitches but it took a while to heal up.

Yes I have and I always wears shoes because Yep I have dropped it too.

Quote Originally Posted by stephaniequeen
    Just cut my finger accidently on the rotary cutter. Even though the cut was slight, I feel so dumb. Anyone else ever done that??
    OH man been there done that. I spent 25 bucks and I bought myself a pair of Klutz gloves at Joanns. Best money I ever spent. You cannot cut through them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeterthanwine
    You are not alone - I've done that to and it hurt like crazy. Didn't have to get stitches but it took a while to heal up.
    DITTO!!! :(

Blog Entries
    cut my finger with rotary cutter to the tune of seven stitches. I felt silly too. Been quilting at that point for about 10 years

Been there done that. Only mine was deep I killed the nerve in my index finger. But were not dumb just careless.

I dropped mine off of the cutting table,fell down on my leather sneakers and sliced my big toe! These blades are no joke when they say they are sharp!

My really, really stupid stunt was to put my cutter, (open of course) on my mat and carry them to a different table to move out of way, needless to say, the cutter fell off the mat and cut the back of my leg, just around the archilles tendon, cut deep enough should have gotten stitches, but didn't, bled like crazy and took forever to heal. Stupid, but ladies do not do that and I surely learned a VERY VALUABLE lesson.

Sounds like you and I are cut from the same mold....

Man I did it a couple months ago. It healed up ok but my index finger is now alittle deformed. I cut the whole side off all the way from the top to the bottom of my nail. It was just hanging there. I should have got stitches but didnt want to wait forever in the ER.. They are sooooo slow here. Anyway. I thought I could save it with sterie strips but that didnt work and the whole chunk fell off. Needless to say I am alot more careful where I place my fingers now.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast