Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cut finger on rotatry cutter >

Cut finger on rotatry cutter

Cut finger on rotatry cutter

Old 05-18-2011, 06:10 PM

Sorry about your "owie". Done it more than once myself, one time pretty bad.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:20 PM

I have...more than once, but thankfully, nothing that required stitches. Usually happens when I am tired, and know I should quit for the night, and decide to cut for just a few more minutes. I haven't done it in a long time...finally know better than to cut when tired.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:20 PM

This is scareing me! I've never cut myself (should I say "yet"??). Probably only b/c I'm a newbie and still very careful. Plus I'm sure just due to the odds - the more one does something the higher the odds of getting hurt.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:50 PM

Just did it on Sunday - not for the first time!
Old 05-18-2011, 06:59 PM

I never really thought about using a rotary cutter while barefoot and you would think I would have since I have knocked scissors off the table and almost into my foot. So far I haven't cut myself with a rotary cutter but I have done it with some really sharp pointed scissors. Talk about feeling dumb.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:36 PM

oh yes i cut my finger pretty bad cut the side right off, had to go to the doc, now i have a finger that has a slant on it lol
Old 05-18-2011, 07:50 PM

I took a class and the instructor had months before the class cut her through her thumb really bad, she had to have stitches. She had a real bad scar too. Be careful
Old 05-18-2011, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by 4EVERquilt
I took a class and the instructor had months before the class cut her through her thumb really bad, she had to have stitches. She had a real bad scar too. Be careful
I'm sorry to hear this about the instructor.

For all of those reading this posting....one of the biggest things to do to avoid scarring is to keep the wound constantly covered with ointment. The ointment , the triple antibiotic ointment, any brand such as Neosporin or generic will do. Also soak daily to keep clean followed with ointment. Continue to apply ointment throughout the day.

I had close to 100 stitches in a 1 inch area of two fingers. I was told to follow this instruction to avoid scarring and it worked for me, no scarring anywhere.

Pam M
Old 05-18-2011, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by bisseau
Bought this the other day to help hold my ruler steady and hopefully prevent cutting accidents (had one small one). So far I like it but the jury is still out. At least I can use it near my bathtub to help me get in and out after my next knee replacement... Anyone else use these?

Gripper

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-123792-1.htm
Hi all,

There is a small gripper that also works great for small hands and small rulers. It is cheaper than the larger gripper.

A similar small gripper is available in a different color at HF, Harbor Freight that is even cheaper than the purple small gripper. You can get two (at the cheaper price) for almost the price of one (at the fabric store price) for those on limited budgets.

The grippers combined with the ruler guards, gloves and shoes are well worth the money spent to avoid injury. Another word of warning is to stop cutting when you get tired. It's better to wait until rested to continue.

Pam M
Old 05-18-2011, 08:02 PM

I have done that a few times myself. :)