Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting Binding Strips >

Cutting Binding Strips

Cutting Binding Strips

Old 11-26-2013, 07:12 PM

My first cut is always a small strip cut down the right side. I unfold it to make sure there are no v's in it. Refold and check again if there are any and if not, you have a great edge to butt the ruler against.

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
The June Taylor strip cutter I sometimes get the V in my strips, even when I fussy fold just right. I use it to cut wide widths just fine. I use my Go and have every size strip die for it. The easiest way for binding is to rip lengthwise. I like to buy the 108" backing and rip it into long strips. You'll get lots of strings ripping but those don't bother me.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:06 PM

I use my mat, ruler and rotary cutter...doesn't take much time....am I missing something? Will have to check the other cutters out.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:08 PM

I use my ruler, mat and rotary cutter also.If it hard for me to make accurate cuts by cutting only two thicknesses of fabric so I fold the fabric in half with the cut ends together so I can cut for thicknesses and that seed I up. If I am just cutting strip from many fabrics I layer at least three fabrics together, sometime even four fabrics. I the rotary blade is sharp you shouldn't have any trouble cutting eight layers.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:12 PM

I was going to say rotary cutter and ruler, but then I looked at the photo in the link of this "June cutter". I thought WOW!! Hey! That's my ruler!! I love that thing. Once everything is all lined up, I cut strips to my hearts content!! I had no idea it had a name. I just call it my ruler with the slots... I bought it on clearence at my LQS because the omnigrid I wanted was too expensive.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:34 AM

It takes me about 1-2 min. (or less) to cut about 8 strips. I agree with the others...what is the problem with using a rotary cutter and ruler?
Old 11-27-2013, 04:41 AM

As long as you aren't making bias binding you could rip LOF strips, which is the only way I'll rip, WOF gets a bit wavy but LOF are dead on exact as long as you measured exact...and quick and easy.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:47 AM

I also use June Taylor Shape Cutter and Quilt in a Day has it on a Black Friday special right now. BUT I also use with it a big Plastic coated clamp that DH bought me from a hardware store to clamp one end to my cutting table edge like a third hand. I have the accuquilt but I constantly use the June Taylor!
Old 11-27-2013, 05:01 AM
Power Poster

Not many know that you have to resquare the edge of the fabric after you cut the amount of strips the width of the fabric. Example, when you cut 2 1/2" strips you have to resquare the fabric after 3 cuts, 4 inch strips resquare after four cuts and so on. I learned this at a Paducah quilt show class by Omnigrid. Class members all cut six strips of 2" fabric. When we measured the last few strips they were off from the first two. Then we cut six more and resquared the fabric every two cuts. The strips were all the same.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:25 AM

They have the June Taylor Shape Cut Ruler on Amazon for $29.27. That's an excellent price!
Old 11-27-2013, 06:02 AM

The shape cutter is the way to go!