Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting Binding Strips >

Cutting Binding Strips

Cutting Binding Strips

Old 11-27-2013, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
Not many know that you have to resquare the edge of the fabric after you cut the amount of strips the width of the fabric. Example, when you cut 2 1/2" strips you have to resquare the fabric after 3 cuts, 4 inch strips resquare after four cuts and so on. I learned this at a Paducah quilt show class by Omnigrid. Class members all cut six strips of 2" fabric. When we measured the last few strips they were off from the first two. Then we cut six more and resquared the fabric every two cuts. The strips were all the same.
Wow, BellaBoo, this is great information! Now to remember and do it! Thanks for sharing that expertise!
Old 11-27-2013, 07:21 AM

Thanks for your responses! I may just have to invest in the June Tailor ruler today at 40% off! BellaBoo-fantastic information to resquare the fabric! I have never known to do that...I just start whacking and stop when my cutting board runs out...no WONDER I have wocker-jawed strips!!!!! I am about to go cut another yard or so into binding on the WOF so I will be sure to resquare. Thanks again everyone, and have a safe and blessed Thanksgiving!
Old 11-27-2013, 07:28 AM

I just use my 6x24 regular ruler and cut away on my mat with a rotary cutter. It goes fast and I don't have a problem. Thanks for the tip about frequent squaring up. I join the ends with a 45 degree miter and they all but disappear to make my strips long enough. I make my borders whatever width I want and my binding strips are 2.5" usually.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:12 AM

June Taylor Shape Cut ruler on sale at Quilt in a Day.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:23 AM

I learned a trick for cutting fast, easy, and accurate bias binding since that is all I use.
Bias binding- Open and press all creases out of fabric. Fold one corner across diagonally (selvedge to cut edge) gently press fold by hand. Now take right side of the angle and fold it to the left just over halfway, keeping fold lined up with itself. repeat with left side. Fold bottom of fabric just to the top, not past it. Now starting at the lower end, lay your ruler parallel to the 'new' bottom fold, cut off a skinny strip to get rid of the fold, then measure and cut your width, repeat to the top fold. A full yard can be cut in minutes. If any of you would like to see this in pictures let me know and I will make a photo tutorial and post it.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:44 AM

I have a 2 1/2 inch by 18 inch from Omnigrid which I use constantly. You have to make sure your fabric is folded correctly. If I recall, there is also a 3 inch, 4 inch and 5 inch ruler as well.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:55 AM
Power Poster

I have the June Tailor Shape Cut and the Quarter Cut rulers and I love them. BrendaK
Old 11-27-2013, 11:07 AM

I do not have the June Taylor shape and cut. But I do have the roller/ruler cutter and I absolutely love it! It's not the Fiskars brand but another brand. I ordered it when I couldn't find the Fiskars. Nancy's notions did have it for sale. I ordered mind from Eleanor Burns. This is the one where the rotary cutter is attached to the ruler. It is a really neat item to have for cutting strips.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by mhollifiel View Post
I also use June Taylor Shape Cutter and Quilt in a Day has it on a Black Friday special right now. BUT I also use with it a big Plastic coated clamp that DH bought me from a hardware store to clamp one end to my cutting table edge like a third hand. I have the accuquilt but I constantly use the June Taylor!
Quilt in a Day Black Friday special gets it down to the normal price at Hancocks. Then you have to add shipping. Hancocks will have it Black Friday for 50% off. I went today to Hobby Lobby which has it about $4 cheaper than Hancocks and I used a 40% off coupon.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by klaws View Post
They have the June Taylor Shape Cut Ruler on Amazon for $29.27. That's an excellent price!
I got mine at Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon for $14.99 plus tax.