Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: cutting board's day in the sun!

Sounds just like my DH. He often does things to "help me" that make me want to scream. Lately it has been making dinner each night. Gotta love him for trying, but OH the resulting mess. He was raised in a family where there were very defined roles for men and women, the kitchen was off limits for men. Our four boys were raised in an environment where
    they had to learn just about everything. It has been so much fun to hear the thanks from our daughters in law, one telling me that when they brought their first baby home, she had very little idea about what you do for babies. Thank goodness that the times, "they are a changing"
    Kaye Jacobson Salverda

Quote Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
    I'm sorry, it made me laugh too. But, bless his heart... it sounds like he was 'trying to help' you. I run over sprinkler heads with our riding lawn mower. As soon as the water shoots 50' in the air, I don't even look back to see what happened, I just drive over to where he is working on the farm. He is so sweet... he laughs while I die for causing him more work. The other day my front wheel (of lawn mower) nicked the end cap of the main water line that comes in off the road from the irrigation pipe. He stilled just laughed.
    Now, don't you feel better... I hope.
    ..................you must be married to a saint! Where did you find him???
    jean

men are funny animals :>)
    jean

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I've learned to always tell my husband what I'm up to. I've learned it the hard way, believe me!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Blog Entries
    My husband helps out by doing all the washing up because , as he says "that's something I can manage" and he is very impressed if I have a cleaning blitz - he thinks it's an amazing thing to come home to a house with nothing out of place. He barbecues too. But he does hang his clothes up on the floor.
    I hope your mat survives the unintended abuse but, if not, you can always cut it up for purse bottoms.

Suzan
    (Maine)
    Choose to be happy

Can you say "new cutting board"? Thanks, hubby!

These stories are hilarious!

When my dh puts something away, he simply chooses the first empty spot, he sees. For instance, I'll decide I want cereal for breakfast, so take box from pantry. When I return the box to the pantry, there's likely to be a bottle of syrup, in its place (bear in mind, the syrup was also in the pantry, before he used it . . . and NOT in that cereal spot). He seldom puts something away, in the same spot, twice. Years ago, he kept misplacing his tools, so would borrow mine . . . and then misplace them, also. For years, I kept a lock on my toolbox, so that I'd know when he borrowed something (he had to ask).
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Quote Originally Posted by Noiseynana View Post
    How funny . My hubby did the same thing. Mine was laid out on a porcelian (?) table top . Almost flat and the knot-head decided to hang it over the porch railing. I sent him to the barn for his own protection. But I did do it again. And this time he was fore-warned. hehehehe
    Now that is really funny

Trying really hard not to laugh, and it's not working! This reminds me of when my friend put her throw rugs on the sidewalk to dry and her hubby ran over them with the lawn mower. She wasn't a happy camper.

Blog Entries
    soak it in warm water with white vinegar about a tsp per gallon, let it sit for a couple of hours (flat) then rinse off. Learned this on Fons & porter
    Patski
    always learning

Blog Entries
    Put it in the sun again on a flat surface and place a piece of glass on top to hold it flat.

I am laughing because my DH would probably do that. Hopefully in one way you are still getting the high heat and you can flatten it again of course I'm sure you really don't want the heat either. One of life's little lessons in futility. Good luck and keep DH in on the secret of it being on the hot concrete. Sue

Love all the stories. When I first started to use the rotary mats I didn't read the instructions & pressed my pcs on it. I now keep that one around as a reminder .

Don't you just love how helpful DH's can BE? lol Well, this time it will cost him dearly, I'm sure! YOU need a NEW cutting board, and Joann's just put out a new coupon for 50% off any regular priced item, valid through July 14th! lol
    Being skinny isn't easy, so I gave up and opted for being sexy instead. (aunty acid)

I know I shouldntbe laughing, but I am.

Blog Entries
    When DH decides to 'help' I just lay low and then have it done my way when he's done. He painted our front porch and I had it repainted while he was gone for a few days. Same color paint so he never knew. He rarely goes on the front porch anyway. LOL. The man is not a house painter, there were so many brush strokes and thin spots it looked like white wash. He said it would dry out. I guess the same as it will quilt out?
    Got fabric?

I'm just a little more south from you in Owensboro, KY. We have two weeks of 100+ temps with you. Supposed to have a break starting tomorrow. It's just been horribly hot. The poor farmer's crops are just dying in the fields. They've said a 70% chance of rain today (Sunday) and tomorrow.
    Karen in Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
    So, I laid my warped cutting board out in the sun on the only piece of concrete close to the house. Almost got all the warps out and went to look for it.

My DH (d is not standing for dear this time!) picked it up and to "protect it" laid it over a big chunk of limestone rock. Now it is curled on 4 sides and heaven knows how lumpy in the middle.

Some days you just can't win!
    I had a cutting matt with a warped corner. I wanted to lay it flat and see how that worked. DH wanted to straighten it with a heat gun. I didn't want him to but he did it, I didn't know he had done it and he didn't tell me. For 2 months I couldn't understand why my blocks were not going together like they should. Well, straightening it warped the measure markings. You couldn't see it but it happened. GGGrrrrrrr.

If you cant flatten it out you can cut it up and use it for bag liners or do as I did.I had enough to
    cut out a sm piece for quilt class to take along with out taking up too much space nex to me.I even had anough to share with another lady who needed a sm cutting board.
    peanutbrittle

Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    I've learned to always tell my husband what I'm up to. I've learned it the hard way, believe me!
    If I got any response it would be his half shoulder shrug, a shake of the head and then "what do you want me to do about it."
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnmarieodya View Post
    If you cant flatten it out you can cut it up and use it for bag liners or do as I did.I had enough to
    cut out a sm piece for quilt class to take along with out taking up too much space nex to me.I even had anough to share with another lady who needed a sm cutting board.

It's perfectly flat, clean from footprints and dog paws, standing on end in a tight space to prevent it from warping again. I wasn't the least bit worried about it not being usable. And I use craft stiffener for my purse bottoms.
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by KyKaren1949 View Post
    I'm just a little more south from you in Owensboro, KY. We have two weeks of 100+ temps with you. Supposed to have a break starting tomorrow. It's just been horribly hot. The poor farmer's crops are just dying in the fields. They've said a 70% chance of rain today (Sunday) and tomorrow.
    I just heard some rain west of Owensboro. It needs to be 10 miles west and a couple miles north of that to help.

My porch as had enough rain drops to get damp----------------in three different rain falls. Even that 3 minute cloud burst the other day didn't leave enough rain to measure.
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by Helen S View Post
    Don't you just love how helpful DH's can BE? lol Well, this time it will cost him dearly, I'm sure! YOU need a NEW cutting board, and Joann's just put out a new coupon for 50% off any regular priced item, valid through July 14th! lol
    But I don't need a new cutting board. Right this minute I can't think of anything I NEED! Drat.
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by resource fabricologist View Post
    Put it in the sun again on a flat surface and place a piece of glass on top to hold it flat.
    Now that would result in one nasty accident. It was on concrete---------the only concrete we own, a bit of sidewalk in front of the kitchen door porch. I brought it in after the sun went down, so it had cooled a bit. Washed it off in the bathtub and stood it on its side in a tight spot so it doesn't warp again.
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    I did have to laugh - and sympathize with these posts!

My lady friend ran into one of the water pipes with a golf cart at the RV park we live in - the water pressure must be pretty good - the water shot up about 25 feet! This was about 1 am Christmas morning! These pipes stick up out of the ground about two feet. The owner was really quite mellow about it as he repaired it!
    Christmas morning? In the south or in the north? Bless the owner's heart.
    U N T I E

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast