Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting Table Ideas >

Cutting Table Ideas

Cutting Table Ideas

Old 07-30-2011, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by CAS49OR
Originally Posted by Val in IN
As far as using Formica, or kitchen counter material,if the cost of a new piece of coutertop is too high, if you can find a kitchen remodeling outfit, you could probably get some used coutertops for next to nothing. Just a thought...
I bought a kitchen counter for $30 at a yard sale. I also bought a wide on the bottom and four drawers on top file cabinent at the same place. works well! One end of the counter sits on the file cabinet and hubby mounted the other end to the wall.
I stand corrected, hubby says we paid $30 total for the counter and the file cabinet.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:30 PM

As far as using Formica, or kitchen counter material,if the cost of a new piece of coutertop is too high, if you can find a kitchen remodeling outfit, you could probably get some used coutertops for next to nothing. Just a thought...
I bought a kitchen counter for $30 at a yard sale. I also bought a wide on the bottom and four drawers on top file cabinent at the same place. works well! One end of the counter sits on the file cabinet and hubby mounted the other end to the wall.
This also shows the extension table he made.

I stand corrected, hubby says we paid $30 total for the counter and the file cabinet.
Great deal, counter, also shows extension table
[ATTACH=CONFIG]234002[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-233996.jpe  
Old 07-30-2011, 06:31 PM

Notice he also made platform for my feet.

This also shows the extension table he made.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
I bought two very cheap bookcases from Staples. They're just short of the height of a kitchen counter. Then I bought a 36" solid core wood door from Home Depot. I put some felt on top of the bookcases to protect them, laid the door on top, and voila! A nice big cutting table that is just the right height and that comes apart easily if I need to take it down. It's also big enough to sandwich quilts (before I got a longarm). The only problem is that I tend to stack stuff on it and have to move the junk off (or down to one end) before I can use it for cutting.
My sweetheart did the same for me, and I also do what you do-start stacking stuff on my great big table...lol!
Old 07-30-2011, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by cowgirlquilter
I bought two very cheap bookcases from Staples. They're just short of the height of a kitchen counter. Then I bought a 36" solid core wood door from Home Depot. I put some felt on top of the bookcases to protect them, laid the door on top, and voila! A nice big cutting table that is just the right height and that comes apart easily if I need to take it down. It's also big enough to sandwich quilts (before I got a longarm). The only problem is that I tend to stack stuff on it and have to move the junk off (or down to one end) before I can use it for cutting.
My sweetheart did the same for me, and I also do what you do-start stacking stuff on my great big table...lol!

LOL, that "stack" is my serger that I need to use someday.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by cowgirlquilter
OH, you meant the basket! I did that pieced quilt, and had tons of scraps!

LOL, that "stack" is my serger that I need to use someday.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:44 PM

I used a rectangle dining room table and put bed risers underneath it. I love this for my sewing room. I have a super large cutting matt on it and I made an ironing board to place on it also. Plus I still have room to stack stuff.

The table was in the garage and at some point was given to me, so zero cost there. The bed risers were on clearance at Joanns so the whole set up was less than $5.

I've also heard of people adding wooden feet from Home
Depot to a dining table to make it tall enough.

Good luck!

table with bed risers (sorry for the mess)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]234016[/ATTACH]

yellow cutting mat and my ironing board
[ATTACH=CONFIG]234017[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-234010.jpe   attachment-234011.jpe  
Old 07-30-2011, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by tnjacke
I have a cutting table that I just love, I ordered it about 20 years ago but don't remember where from. Saw a picture in quilting book I think. Anyway, it is 40 wide x 72 long and 34-1/2 high. Center section is 18 in wide with drawer under the table and storage below that, and a leaf on each side that can drop down.. when you don't need it up. I keep one leaf up all the time, giving me a 45-1/2 x 40 cutting surface.. I am about 5ft 2 or 3 in tall and do not have problems at the 34-1/2 in height of the table.
Jackie the one you have used to be at joann. I'm not sure if they still carry it or not. They sold for 99 and would have them on sale for 50 at differnt time.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:21 PM

Oh this sounds awesome! You should post a pic.

Originally Posted by busygranny
I have a very good table but a little different than what the rest of you have. I have a table which is just a discarded door. My husband put 4 study metal legs on it. THEN____he got a 4x6 piece of masonite board, covered it with jute carpet pad. Over this he stetched canvas from a shop that made sails for sail boats. This is stapled down as tight as he could get it. That gets laid over the door table. I can cut,iron and pin straight into the canvas, to hold things down, if I so desire. I'ver had this for over 20 years and I love it. The greatest thing to have in a sewing room. Everything in one. I would be lost with out it. I can store under neath it also.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Ripped on Scotch
I have the cutting table from Joann's. I love it! and with the coupons its not to bad as far as price goes.
I am 5'10" and the JoAnn's table is a couple inches too short. And, boy, do those couple inches make a difference. When I get my sewing room done, I am going to raise up the table a little. the best height for me is about 36". I want to get one of those tables you can get at Costco, Target, etc. with the molded plastic tops and legs that fold up. There is one style that has legs with adjustable heights and goes up to 36". I'm going to use it for a work table so I don't keep cluttering up my cutting table.