Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting Table Ideas >

Cutting Table Ideas

Cutting Table Ideas

Old 07-30-2011, 10:23 AM

I want to Thank everyone for their Great Ideas! I am converting an old laundry room into a sewing room. The room is about 8 foot square so I am trying to make the most of the space.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:09 AM

[quote=caspharm]Here is a US distributor: http://www.eddiesquiltingbee.com/furniture/horn.html

He's in Sunnyvale, CA.

Originally Posted by quiltlady
Originally Posted by CarolinePaj
Hi Guys,

Gotta still shout about the Horn HiLo Table. Doesn't matter how tall or short you are.... the table can be adjusted to your perfect height!
Horn tables are wonderful. However they are so far out of my budget .... I am going to try again to build my own table. I did once and it held up for about 2 yrs. I bought a Joanns one and put that one outside. I have to have one that folds up. I love all the ones with the cabinets and dressers etc they are lovely but just not feasible for my space. I do like looking though, Never know I just may win the lottery some day. lol

Hugs
Great looking table - searched the net and unable to find a US distributor - Lucky UK sewers get it this one.
[/quote

I just typed a bunch and when I put it up it was all gone. hmm oh well.
Basically. I love everyones ideas and if I ever win the lottery and have a big room I will use the dresser or cabinet idea.
The Horn tables are wonderful but unles I win said lottery they are sooo far out of my budget....
I do need one that folds up so hopefully I can get my brother to help me build one when he gets done with all his projects. If not I will just wait until a good sale and get another one from Joann's
Old 07-30-2011, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
I bought two very cheap bookcases from Staples. They're just short of the height of a kitchen counter. Then I bought a 36" solid core wood door from Home Depot. I put some felt on top of the bookcases to protect them, laid the door on top, and voila! A nice big cutting table that is just the right height and that comes apart easily if I need to take it down. It's also big enough to sandwich quilts (before I got a longarm). The only problem is that I tend to stack stuff on it and have to move the junk off (or down to one end) before I can use it for cutting.
I do the same thing.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:50 AM

I have an adjustable table, don't know where it came from, but I had DH cut me a piece of particle board to go on it. Board is the size the the big ironing cover and pad that I bought at Jo-Ann's. It is about 58 in. by 36 in. It is great because I can use it for ironing fabric or put the cutting mat on it for a cutting table. I can also adjust it to the height of my sewing cabinet to support large quilts while I quilt them. I can lower it and use it as a desk or I can remove the particle board and slide it all against the wall to make room for overnight guests. There is room underneath to stack odds and ends. Not the prettiest thing, but it sure is functional
Old 07-30-2011, 11:56 AM

Love the Hi-Low Table. Where do you get it?
Old 07-30-2011, 12:50 PM

I bought the Galant adjustable height desk/tables from Ikea. You can choose the size of the table top that will fit best for your space. I believe they have 3 different size tops. I have plastic bins stored underneath to maximize the space.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S89842465

good luck!
Old 07-30-2011, 12:56 PM

Mine is a 4x8 sheet of 1/2 inch plywood with a sheet of countertop formica glued down then attached with screws to a set of resin saw horses I got at the Goody store all together I spent less than $50 I'm going to have to make a smaller one my new room it isn't as wide as the old place.. I sew at it and my quilt stays on the table saves me a ton of work
Old 07-30-2011, 01:10 PM

My neighbor gave me an antique sideboard that she had and didn't want any more because it needed to be fixed. It's the perfect height, and has a long drawer at the top for my rulers and stuff, more drawers, and a couple of cabinets. It's wide enough for my cutting mat could put another one up there too, have enough extra room. Best of all, it was free!
Old 07-30-2011, 01:11 PM

Mine is made from a formica counter that is 3 ft. wide, 7 ft. long and 3 ft. high. I have 2 cabinets on each end supporting the top. The cabinets have 4 drawers on one end and a drawer and storage below it on other end. Works perfect for me.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:45 PM

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60105301

I used these adjustable legs from IKEA with a piece of melamine cut at Home Depot.

This shows the leg..I'm using it as an ironing table, but have used it as a cutting table in the past. Wire cubes with plastic totes underneath for storage
Attached Thumbnails attachment-233941.jpe