Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting Table Ideas >

Cutting Table Ideas

Cutting Table Ideas

Old 07-30-2011, 08:30 AM

When I was doing my room, I looked at a number of resources for ideal cutting/ironing heights. The actual measurements somewhat depend on how tall/short you but in general kitchen countertops and islands are built for 'cutting/chopping' etc. The average is 36". If you have the option of making adjustments, the rule of thumb is to measure the distance from your elbow to the ground and then have the cutting surface about 6" lower. Mine is 33 tall and works for me as I cut a lot of upholstery fabric or yardage length cuts and it allows me to bend to reach across the length of my cut. I was lucky to find two triple dressers that were the same height as I wanted and have a 4x6 finished plywood top that cover them both. This not only gives me a large cutting surface but a lot of useful storage.
It is recommended that ironing surfaces should be about 3" higher than for cutting and I fortunately found another triple dresser that was 3" taller than the other two so perfect for me.
Again, with the 'big board' on top, it gives me a nice ironing surface and a lot more storage!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-233737.jpe   attachment-233738.jpe  
Old 07-30-2011, 08:37 AM

I went to a local used furniture store and bought 2 school tables..you know the old brown ones..from an L shape !!

Before I put in second table..but you can see 1
[ATTACH=CONFIG]233752[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-233746.jpe  
Old 07-30-2011, 08:56 AM

I have a very good table but a little different than what the rest of you have. I have a table which is just a discarded door. My husband put 4 study metal legs on it. THEN____he got a 4x6 piece of masonite board, covered it with jute carpet pad. Over this he stetched canvas from a shop that made sails for sail boats. This is stapled down as tight as he could get it. That gets laid over the door table. I can cut,iron and pin straight into the canvas, to hold things down, if I so desire. I'ver had this for over 20 years and I love it. The greatest thing to have in a sewing room. Everything in one. I would be lost with out it. I can store under neath it also.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:59 AM

My industrial cutting table is 35" high and works for me, I'm about 5'3" tall. These come in sections. I have 3 sections since I have a large room. Sections are 72" long by 48" wide.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-233755.jpe  
Old 07-30-2011, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by emerald46
Kitchen island here as well. Perfect height and mine is 5 ft long and 42 inches wide....just great for me.
Geeez---your island is larger than the entire floor area of my kitchen. Would love for kitchen with an island---or anything with some room in it. But I'm happy with what I have----it's paid for.

Sibyl
Old 07-30-2011, 09:07 AM

I used two small bookcases that were 24" wide and 32" tall as the supports. Then, I added a purchased piece of melamine board that measures 30" x 48". I bought the melamine adhesive stripping to cover the raw edges around the board. This is working very well for me and was only a minimal cost. Gives me storage space below, too.

My cutting table
[ATTACH=CONFIG]233762[/ATTACH]

Cutting table close up
[ATTACH=CONFIG]233763[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-233756.jpe   attachment-233757.jpe  
Old 07-30-2011, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by CarolinePaj
Hi Guys,

Gotta still shout about the Horn HiLo Table. Doesn't matter how tall or short you are.... the table can be adjusted to your perfect height!

Hugs
Great looking table - searched the net and unable to find a US distributor - Lucky UK sewers get it this one.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Ripped on Scotch
I have the cutting table from Joann's. I love it! and with the coupons its not to bad as far as price goes.
for the price and the ease of use, i also, love my joanns table. it is the right height and takes up just a little bit of room when the leaves are both down. drawers would be a nice addition that i wish it had.

i also use bed risers under my sewing table when i can't get to my cutting table. (unfortunately i don't have a sewing room, so sometimes it is behind other things).
Old 07-30-2011, 09:41 AM

My DH also made me a table that has two leaves that I can use or put down. the middle part has rollers on so I can move the whole thing up against the wall and it only takes up a very small area of the room. But I most always have one leaf up so I have work space while sewing.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:45 AM

Here is a US distributor: http://www.eddiesquiltingbee.com/furniture/horn.html

He's in Sunnyvale, CA.

Originally Posted by quiltlady
Originally Posted by CarolinePaj
Hi Guys,

Gotta still shout about the Horn HiLo Table. Doesn't matter how tall or short you are.... the table can be adjusted to your perfect height!

Hugs
Great looking table - searched the net and unable to find a US distributor - Lucky UK sewers get it this one.