Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting Table Ideas >

Cutting Table Ideas

Cutting Table Ideas

Old 07-30-2011, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
I bought two very cheap bookcases from Staples. They're just short of the height of a kitchen counter. Then I bought a 36" solid core wood door from Home Depot. I put some felt on top of the bookcases to protect them, laid the door on top, and voila! A nice big cutting table that is just the right height and that comes apart easily if I need to take it down. It's also big enough to sandwich quilts (before I got a longarm). The only problem is that I tend to stack stuff on it and have to move the junk off (or down to one end) before I can use it for cutting.
Ah, the Horizontal Surface Syndrome! I got that here big time :roll:
Old 07-30-2011, 06:22 AM

I have a drafting table from Aaron Bros. with a magnifying lamp attached to it. The height is about kitchen counter level (35") and it's 36x48. It's just right as I don't need to bend over when I'm cutting. The lamp adds light directly on anything I'm doing and it can be positioned wherever needed. The magnifying glass in the lamp helps for 'unsewing' stitches or trying to thread a needle.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:24 AM

When we moved into our home 2 years ago, I took one of the bedrooms and made it into my sewing room. Against one wall I put kitchen cabinets from Lowe's and covered it with a piece of formica. I bought just the plain oak cabinets and have all the drawers and storage underneath. I especially like the deep drawers, wish I had bought all drawers but they were in a closeout. I am 5'6 and this fits me perfectly. If I had more space, I would have put 3 of them back to back with 3 more and had a formica countertop made just for that.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:31 AM

A very simple inexpensive way is to get a folding table available anywhere, could be any length, mine is 8'. The legs on the table do not come straight down, they have a bend in them near the bottom. My husband bought some PVC pipe, cut 4 pieces the same length and I slide them over each leg of the table. He made it as high as I wanted for comfort. If I don't want the height, I simply take the PVC pipe off the legs of the table and can use it if all my family comes to dinner and I need more seating space.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:36 AM

My husband made me a drop leaf table that is 42"deep and 72" long and only 29" high since I am very short I wanted it "my size". I love the fact that I can drop one leaf or both and it becomes very compact which is a good thing since my sewing room is small.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:39 AM

My DH made my cutting table out of - now this is not sophisticated at all - two saw horses and a piece of 4' X 8' wooden board. Sound primitive? It may be but he made it tall enough for me to stand and not have to bend over AND there is all that room underneath for storage. I love it and it certainly wasn't a big investment. I made a cloth to go over the board and the after two cutting mats are down, there is still room on the table for other things I need. Of course I am lucky that I have the room that I can leave it up all the time.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:50 AM

I have a custom made cutting table.
It is 38 x 72, so a large cutting mat fits the top. Since I am 5'4" it's 35" tall, a person has to measure what is comfortable to them.
It has drop sides, so it can go down to 18" deep. When the sides are up, their is a full wood support bracket with a roller under each drop side. The center (18") has a small drawer each side for scissors and cutting weights. Then a door on each side where I keep my interfacting or can be used for sewing machine storage. The top is off-white formica and I keep a cutting mat on top of it.
I have had it about 20 years and it still looks new. A cabinet shop made it to my design.
I also have 2 door made into tables for making drapes. We took (2) 36" doors and put the banquet type folding legs on them. Then my husband got some metal electrical conduit pipe and added extension to the legs to make it 35" tall. When I take the extension off, I can use the tables for banquet tables or sewing tables.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:52 AM

Sam's Club has adjustable height tables. They use those at the local quilt shop. I purchased an adjustable height table at Camping World. Both of these can be viewed online. Table we bought at CW is still in the rv. Working on the sewing room this week. DD is picking up the bed and nightstand today!! It will be a dedicated sewing room!!! Getting there!
I may use a gate leg table from Sauder/craft table for cutting as it is more than 24" deep and 5x" long with both leaves up. Has storage underneath. I found it on the Sauder website and Office Depot special ordered and delivered it for me 4 or 5 years ago. Guess I will take mirror off the dresser and use it for an ironing station???? Not sure.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by mjsylvstr
My table was built for me by my hubby.

It is 20"x42" when closed.
I can have a working table top 46"x42" with one leaf up.
Fully opened, I have a working area of 72"x42"

He put a drawer on either end of the center section and a shelf under that section for storage.

I couldn't work without this table or without the guy who built it.
I like this one. Its pretty and folds up. I need one that folds small for my room. Never thought about using pre made legs. or are they for a ballister?
Old 07-30-2011, 06:57 AM

I went to the thrift shop and bought a dining table. My husband put 4x4 pieces of wood under each leg and that put it at a good height for me. 36" Cost me $15.