Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting Table Ideas >

Cutting Table Ideas

Cutting Table Ideas

Old 08-01-2011, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by BarbP
Katykwilt - I love your library area. I often wish that I had a comfortable chair to sit and look through books and magazines for that next "have to do" project! Just not enough room.
I enjoy reading so when my daughter found out I got a sewing room, she got me two comfy chairs -- so we could both R&R together. Doesn't happen often, she lives in San Diego and we're in MI. I got my sewing room to keep me happy when I retired (Oct.) cuz DH got the basement finished and a pool table. It works and I am loving it.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by katykwilt
Originally Posted by BarbP
Katykwilt - I love your library area. I often wish that I had a comfortable chair to sit and look through books and magazines for that next "have to do" project! Just not enough room.
I enjoy reading so when my daughter found out I got a sewing room, she got me two comfy chairs -- so we could both R&R together. Doesn't happen often, she lives in San Diego and we're in MI. I got my sewing room to keep me happy when I retired (Oct.) cuz DH got the basement finished and a pool table. It works and I am loving it.
Sounds like a great arrangement to me, as we have the same arrangement in our house-except Honeys rm is a nascar rm.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:36 PM

In our former home my husband used two adjustable saw horses with a sheet of plywood on top. That way we could experiment with heights until we got the right height for my 5'1". Worked great. Wish I had room for it in this house, but have too many sewing machines set up.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:54 PM

Everybody is so creative! I was lucky enough to buy an art table at a school auction. Paid next to nothing for it. It does need a bit of tlc..It sits too low to be able to cut with as it is so I'm having a platform built for it with some rolling castors. It has 24 drawers for storage. Which is going to be awesome!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-235197.jpe  
Old 08-19-2011, 07:38 PM

I bought a kitchen island from craigslist...I'm 5'6 and it
is a good height for me....then made an ironing board
from a 24x48 piece of OSB board...two layers of cotton
batting and canvas...I can put it on top of the island
and iron large pieces of yardage....works great for me ...
previous I had a cutting table in the center of the floor &
it just took up too much room....island is against a wall
out about 2 inches so have room for material to slide
over end when ironing..
Old 08-20-2011, 10:37 AM

My cutting table is my counter between the dining room and kitchen, it's Corian with bar extension. My cutting mat (3x5) fits on there perfectly.

My extension table is made of foam and vinyl.

Cutting Table
[ATTACH=CONFIG]244308[/ATTACH]

Extension Table
[ATTACH=CONFIG]244309[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-244302.jpe   attachment-244303.jpe  
Old 08-20-2011, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Nancy Bogard
I am just completing a new sewing quilting room and need ideas for a large cutting table. Can any of you post pictures and ideas that have worked for you? I need a little help with this part. I don't want to make any mistakes since I will only get the chance once. Help me if you can.

I purchased a buffet for storage and use the top for cutting or pressing.

My cutting table
[ATTACH=CONFIG]244313[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-244307.jpe  
Old 01-06-2012, 05:33 AM

I too used my kitchen island for cutting but was tired of walking from one room to another when trying to make something and having threads everywhere, (the sign of a true quilter right?). I bought a 6' folding table and had my husband cut 4" x 4" posts that we had stored in the garage and drill out the center a few inches to the perfect height for me, (I'm 5' 6"). You can also use PVC pipe but why waste the money when the posts were gathering dust in the garage! When I need the height, I simply lift the end of the table (not heavy at all) and slip the leg in the hole at the top of the post that he drilled out. In a matter of seconds I have a table high enough to save my back from having to lean over. I also use it as my sewing table so simply lift the end and kick the blocks out and back down to sitting height! It does not wobble when I sew or cut. You can use a 6' like I did or an 8' table it works the same. I can put my ironing pad on one end when I am sewing to press seams as I go. It makes the table very flexible and doesn't take up as much space as having to have several different surfaces to use. If you don't have room to leave the table out, mine folds in half and can be stored behind a door or simply against the wall. The table cost me $30 at Lowe's, the blocks were leftovers from a previous project and now I have a multiple work station!
Old 01-06-2012, 05:40 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]300828[/ATTACH]I use an antique/vintage dresser I picked up for $5. DH cut a piece of plywood to go over the top for a larger work area. I just added the plywood so I need to finish the edges with some fabric.
Attached Thumbnails photo-21.jpg  
Old 01-18-2012, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
depending on your height... i'm 5'4" and i find that the kitchen counter works very well... i have a large peninsula.
I'm totally agree with you man.
This is totally depending on your height...you'r 100% good.
Perfect height is 5 ft long and 42 inches wide.