Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting up a half yard >

Cutting up a half yard

Cutting up a half yard

Old 02-09-2016, 05:41 AM

I like to cut my small bits into useful pieces but the only way that is successful for me is if I have a pattern in mind. I have now collected several that work well with scraps and make great quilts for grandchildren, the Youth Shelter or Community Quilts. I have a labelled bin for each of those patterns with the required size of pieces needed. As I come across smaller pieces in my "collection" or finish up a project, I cut pieces to use the fabric most efficiently and pop them into the right bin. When the bin is full enough, it is time to stitch up a scrap masterpiece.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:42 AM
Power Poster

I was just doing that last night... making fat quarters out of half yards. I have too much fabric and may be moving soon, so I need to sell off some of my stash. I thought fat quarter groupings might be the way to go.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:39 AM

I am a serendipitous quilter and do my cutting "wholesale" rather than waiting for a specific project. I put together between 100 and 150 tops a year for charity so this method works best for me. Also, I have my big cutting table and mats on the screened in porch so I do the bulk of my cutting about a week at a time in spring and fall. I have a smaller cutting setup inside for whatever I need to fill in. Since almost all of my quilting is done targeting the oft forgotten young adolescent and preadolescent male population, most of my colors and themes work well together anyway. There's always some already cut inspiration ready to get my creative juices flowing and my fingers itching sew!

No, I do not use the same pattern over and over and frequently just start putting blocks together as the fabric speaks to me. No complaints yet! My go-to sizes are 2.5",4.5", charms, 8.5" and layer cake sizes. Often the scale of the print dictates my cutting but not always - I hate waste! I buy some precuts but mostly cut my own. Pinked edges aggravate me! Plus, commercial precuts are presented so beautifully, i find myself subconsciously delaying using them. Not the case with my self made precuts. No cutsie ribbons to slow me down!

As to your plan for your half yards, cut them up and use them! I think you and I could quilt together without a hitch and have a blast. I would recommend that you not leave the last three inches but turn it into an extra 2.5" strip.

Last edited by mhollifiel; 02-09-2016 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

I agree you can always cut as you need it. put it into a precut bin with 1/2 yards. Such as fat quarters or bigger.
Originally Posted by Just Jan View Post
I don't precut my half yards. Depending on the pattern, sometimes I need a full width of fabric and other times I need a fat quarter or less. You will get "more bang for your buck" by leaving them in half yard pieces, and they are easier to store by putting them all in one place and sorting them by color.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:46 AM

I organize my stash this way: 1 yard and higher cuts are folded and sorted according to color on a bookcase. I have large cuts (6 yards plus) and bolts separated in a closet. I have 1/2 yard in a dresser drawer and another dresser drawer for fat quarters. Anything smaller than a fat quarter I cut up into strips and charm packs. I do not use layer cakes for a lot of my quilts but love strip quilts and use the charm packs for table runners/ purses
Old 02-09-2016, 08:48 AM

a 1/2 yard is yardage here as I usually bought 1/3 yards or fat quarters.

When I cut down scraps left from a quilt top I cut to 2.5", 2", 1.5". Those are the sizes needed in any pattern I make.
I don't cut strips because my scraps aren't big enough for that.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:21 AM

I keep mine in the size of purchased because to many times a pattern will call for a size I have and the fabric is perfect for it but if I had cut it into smaller pieces I would have had to go shopping for new fabric.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:12 AM
Power Poster

http://quiltville.com/scrapusersystem.shtml

Here Bonnie talks about the usefulness of certain sizes.
Also 10 inch squares can easily be cut into 5 inch squares and those can be broken down into 2.5 inch blocks. Like some one else mentioned I would cut the left over 3 inch strip into a 2.5 inch strip. Most likely you will need to any ways because it will not be an accurate 3 inch strip that is left.

Be sure the sizes go together like Bonnie mentioned. When I buy dies for my fabric cutter I look at which ones work together to make certain sized blocks like 12 inch finnished blocks, 12.5 unfinished blocks. I think you need to do the same for how you cut up fabric.

I think sticking with sizes that are used to make 12 inch finnished blocks, like 4.5 in., 3.5 in., 6.5 in., 2.5 in., and or are found as precuts, 5 in., 10 in. and 2.5 inches, will yield cuts that you can use in many patterns that are out there in great numbers.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by SuziSew View Post
I think someone posted this in links and resources too, might give you a few ideas.

http://janesquilting.blogspot.com/20...-formulas.html
These are super charts and all in one place. Bless you for giving the link!
Old 02-09-2016, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by mhollifiel View Post
I buy some precuts but mostly cut my own. Pinked edges aggravate me! Plus, commercial precuts are presented so beautifully, i find myself subconsciously delaying using them. Not the case with my self made precuts. No cutsie ribbons to slow me down!

As to your plan for your half yards, cut them up and use them! I think you and I could quilt together without a hitch and have a blast. I would recommend that you not leave the last three inches but turn it into an extra 2.5" strip.
I think we would have a blast, too. We could have a cutting party!