Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
daft question i know plz dont laugh >

daft question i know plz dont laugh

daft question i know plz dont laugh

Old 04-08-2013, 02:51 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mpspeedy2 View Post
Welcome to our world. I would recommend sewing all of your blocks together into a top and then layering it with your batting/wadding and a solid back. Especially if you are going to handquilt as there will be fewer seams for you to quilt through. It does make for a big project. Once you have completed one it will not feel so overwhelming.
quilt as you go is a good technique to use if you do not want to deal with a large quilt all at once- many people make fabulous 'quilt as you go' quilts!
Old 04-08-2013, 05:10 PM

Welcome to the wonderful world of quilting. Great people here. No such thing as a dumb question. I've only been quilting for 1 1/2 years. I have always put my pieced blocks together into a row; sew the rows together, then take the entire pieced top and layer batting (wadding) in middle, and a large backing piece. I layer the three pieces together on the floor or on top of a queen size bed. I use the method of pinning with safety or quilting pins. Then I quilt designs through the three layers with my sewing machine. Finally, I bind the quilt. Lots of good info here or on u-tube if you just take it one step at a time. Nice to have a visual format to follow. Best of luck with your 1st quilt!!!
Old 04-09-2013, 05:22 AM
Power Poster

you can do it either way. Search for "quilt as you go" tutorials. Hope that helps. If you need additional info I have some printed info I will share with you. Just PM me
Old 04-09-2013, 06:46 AM

Default Start with a wall quilt

Originally Posted by craftystitch View Post
as u now im starting my first quilt im wondering can i do my square put wadding on and back it on each square before i sew all togher or must i do all top squares then full wadding full backing so im sewing 1 large quilt
I would strongly suggest that you start with a small wall quilt, then move on to a larger quilt. This will give you practice on each step of the way to completing a quilt....and you have a wall hanging in the process.
Diana in TX
Old 04-09-2013, 08:43 AM

If you are wanting to do the quilting as you assemble, then quilt as you go will work for you, as long as you aren't wanting an allover quilt design that connects throughout the quilt....but, if you will put a motif in each block/square...then do look up "Quilt as You Go", by Gloria Bonsteel (may be spelled wrong). She had a set of videos and a book on the method (I have the vhs tapes ...all but one, and the book). My mom in law took a class.

Originally Posted by craftystitch View Post
as u now im starting my first quilt im wondering can i do my square put wadding on and back it on each square before i sew all togher or must i do all top squares then full wadding full backing so im sewing 1 large quilt
Old 04-09-2013, 09:33 AM

There is a book called Lap Quilting by Georgia Bonesteel teaching you to quilt as you go. I intend to try it one day.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:35 AM

the only daft question i have ever heard was, can you stop quilting please.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:11 AM

I almost do a Quilt As You Go - I generally make Twin or Queen size quilts. I have them in sections or row, usually 3 rows, whatever will be manageable to quilt at one time.

Quilt each section, then I sew two sections together in the front, then sew the next secton to the first part.

Finally I hand sew the backs together. Once that's done, all you need to do is the binding.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by judylg View Post
No question is too daft!! Better to ask sooner, rather than later.
In my Group I have a saying, there is no such thing as a stupid question just a stupid person who doesn't ask. Nothing is easy until you know how, it's easy being a brain surgeon, umm, when you know how!

When I first started quilting I found this site invaluable. http://www.victorianaquiltdesigns.co...ry/Library.htm

Happy quilting.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:40 PM

I like to quilt as you go. It is easy to handle the squares while they are small. There are plenty of links on internet for "Quilt as you Go".