Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Darnit!!  Ran out of thread! >

Darnit!! Ran out of thread!

Darnit!! Ran out of thread!

Old 07-04-2011, 05:27 PM

You sew the "poofy batting" to the parts you want to be poofy, with the washaway thread. Then you trim off the rest that you dont want to be poofy.
Then you lay the top (with poofy spots) on the regular batting and backing, sew neatly around the poofy spots, the washaway thread washes away, leaving the extra batting on the poofed parts, and held in place with the regular thread... viola ! see the book(s) *Trapunto by Machine* by Hari something....
Old 07-04-2011, 05:29 PM
Google Goddess

thanks for explaining this

Originally Posted by Sheepshed
You sew the "poofy batting" to the parts you want to be poofy, with the washaway thread. Then you trim off the rest that you dont want to be poofy.
Then you lay the top (with poofy spots) on the regular batting and backing, sew neatly around the poofy spots, the washaway thread washes away, leaving the extra batting on the poofed parts, and held in place with the regular thread... viola ! see the book(s) *Trapunto by Machine* by Hari something....
Old 07-04-2011, 05:35 PM

I did not know that was how it was done. Thank you.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Sheepshed
Exactly! Someone, sorry I can't remember who, posted a tutorial here on QB - look under "machine trapunto" or something like that. After I read it I tried it immediatly on some scraps and framed it in an embroidery hoop for my sewing room wall.

When you do the final quilting you can quilt around it, or over it, or both. But you need one or the other to hold it in place permanently.

Now I just need more of that thread!!