Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Date on your label >

Date on your label

Date on your label

Old 08-31-2015, 05:39 AM

I label quilts when they are finished and include the title, my name, location, and completion date. I consider it the signature on my work, like signing and dating any other work of art. If it's made specifically as a gift, I include the recipients name and the occasion.

If I were to gift it later on, I think I'd probably add a second label with those details so it would have both a 'quilt label' and a 'gift label'. Dating a quilt years after completion because you're giving it to someone just seems kind of deceptive to me.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:46 AM

Good Question, I have run across this dilemma many times. If I don't know who it is for, I just put a title, my name, town and no date. I don't want to give it away two years later and have them think it's an old quilt I had lying around. If it is going to someone I know, I add a date. If it's baby quilt, I like to label them on their true birthdate with that date included.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:11 AM

I put on my label to who the quilt is going to(family), and the year I made it. Don
Old 08-31-2015, 08:34 AM
bj

I put my name and the date it was gifted. I seldom make quilts with no specific person or organization in mind. I have none just lying about waiting for a recipient to materialize.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:01 AM
Power Poster

I really wonder why some places that gather quilts for charities want the maker to be anonymous and not to put his/her own label on a quilt.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:37 PM
Power Poster

I always put the date that I finished my quilt, whether it is for myself, or anyone. A hundred years from now, someone may be interested.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:40 PM

That seems unfortunate, that some charities don't want labels!

I will put the month and year the quilt was pieced, as well as the month and year of completion if there is a big gap, which there usually is (as I made more rapid progress learning to piece than learning to quilt, and have a queue of tops patiently waiting their turn).
Old 09-01-2015, 05:25 AM

I think that a lot more information should be added to the label. Quilt historians today bemoan the fact that there is no information to help them date a quilt. We are such a mobile population that we need who, where, when,, etc., on the labels. My family, for example, lived all over the world, and many live in the far-flung states now. Should the quilts be stolen, that may help recover them. Furthermore, should my quilts survive for a long time, my ancestors will have a record.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I really wonder why some places that gather quilts for charities want the maker to be anonymous and not to put his/her own label on a quilt.
Stalkers and nere-do-wells. They are actually protecting you.

I am still in the stage of one quilt at a time for a particular person, so each gets a personalized label.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:07 AM

I have been sewing since I was 5, but didn't start quilting till I was 75, I label all of my quilts big and small with the # that it is, 6 years later I am on # 79, it is a wheel chair quilt for the rest home next to our church. Maybe I am crazy but it is fun!!