Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dealer required class...this makes me giggle >

Dealer required class...this makes me giggle

Dealer required class...this makes me giggle

Old 03-12-2014, 01:23 PM

Where I just got my janome 8900 they really were quick about seeing who the power users were and told them to take it home and run it through the paces then schedule a one on one class to trouble fix your questions. They wanted newbies with newbies and heavy users in their own classes so everyone gets the most out of the time. Smart shop.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:16 PM

This isn't even a real class where there will be other people. They just sit down with you one-on-one and make sure you know how to use the machine.

It's definitely nice that they offer it (and I love that shop, the owners are really nice people) but I really, really doubt there is anything I need to know before I can successfully use the new machine. I kinda wish they'd just let me come pick up my stuff and go about my business. Seems a little like a waste of all of our time!

But I will play along and use it as an opportunity to get to know the new girl better. I happen to have tomorrow off and I can definitely think of worse places to burn a half-hour or so of my day.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:17 PM

to be fair, you wouldn't believe the simplest tasks that people can't do or won't relearn to do and call the dealer screaming MY NEW MACHINE IS BROKEN RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX!! It can be pretty hairy on the other side of the counter.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:17 PM

One of the shops that I went to to look for a new machine said that once I bought the machine and finished their classes, they'd give a discount on machine accessories. I didn't get into all of it with them and didn't understand why I had to finish the classes first but maybe that's what's happening there. Maybe they'll surprise you will some sort of discount.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
to be fair, you wouldn't believe the simplest tasks that people can't do or won't relearn to do and call the dealer screaming MY NEW MACHINE IS BROKEN RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX!! It can be pretty hairy on the other side of the counter.
That's true, I didn't really think about that. I've worked retail in the past so I know "those people" exist out there.

I'm not even really complaining....I just think it's funny to be taking a class on how to thread such a machine that is so much like machines I've sewn on for years. I find Janomes to be super easy to thread so it seems like overkill to ME, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't find it as easy and can use the little extra help.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by GrandmaSewNSew View Post
One of the shops that I went to to look for a new machine said that once I bought the machine and finished their classes, they'd give a discount on machine accessories. I didn't get into all of it with them and didn't understand why I had to finish the classes first but maybe that's what's happening there. Maybe they'll surprise you will some sort of discount.
They have an unpublished discount policy that I found out about when I bought the 6600. If you buy stuff there on the day you pay for your new machine and ask for a discount, they'll give you 10% off feet and accessories for your new machine, and 20% off thread. I'll be asking to bend the rules because the plate I want is for my "old" machine and not the new one. But I think they'll go for it.

It's not a huge discount, but 10% is 10%!
Old 03-12-2014, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
I would bet they use that class to try and sell you something.
Have fun and just say no.
peace
My thoughts exactly!
Old 03-12-2014, 04:39 PM

Use the opportunity to train them on your machine!! Ha ha
Old 03-13-2014, 04:41 AM

I have had Bernina machines for 30+ years and taught at a school with Bernina machines. The last machine I bought and feeling like I already knew about it, still required a class. They wouldn't send in the warranty card until I had taken the class. Even though I didn't think I needed to take it, I did learn a couple new uses for some of the feet. Things that weren't in the book. Well worth my time.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
A couple weeks ago, I called my local Janome dealer and ordered a 3160 QDC to serve as my new "back up" and free-arm machine. They had my 6600 for service so I said I'd pick them both up as soon as they were ready.

Today I got a call that they were ready and asking when I could come in for my "classes".

Me: “Classes? What classes?”

Her: “OH we like to make sure you can thread the machines, change the feet…”

M: “Ok, well, I’ve had the 6600 for over a year so I don’t need a class for that one for sure. The other one is similar to, and simpler than, the 6600 so I think I can probably handle it.”

Her: “Ok, well, it doesn’t have to be a LONG class. We just like to make sure you can thread the machine, change the feet…”

We kind of went in circles at that point, so I gave up and now I have an appointment at 1:00 tomorrow to learn how to thread my new machine, and change the feet. LOL!! I'm willing to bet I can thread that machine in about 30 seconds! Shortest class ever.
Be a sweetheart...give him some tips he can use! Men always think women are brain dead when it comes to moving parts!