Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dearth of interesting fabrics >

Dearth of interesting fabrics

Dearth of interesting fabrics

Old 04-20-2013, 05:06 AM

The pulsar quilt made from a mag pattern 18yrs ago looks so much like one I saw in a current mag....shows ya nothing new in this world...time to dig out those old mags again.....
Old 04-20-2013, 06:28 AM

I really like some of the new things but many lines don't inspire me, either. I think the designers are as varied as the quilters and their tastes just reflect that. Wonder if the younger quilters just starting have influenced so many of the novelty prints or modern designs? I never seem to be able to walk away without a purchase of something that's caught my heart though.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:25 AM

I never have trouble finding fabric I like. Much of it wants to go home with me but some just has to be disappointed as I put it back on the shelf and hope that the next person will be able to adopt it.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by bunniequilter View Post
I have the total opposite problem. I want too much fabric!
It's definitely my problem too!
Old 04-20-2013, 08:28 AM

I am trying to go without buying any fabric since my stash is huge. If I were to buy fabric it would probably be blenders because I have far to many focus fabrics. If your finding the new lines don't spark your creativity, start shopping garage sales. Bet you can find something you like and the prices are terrific.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:47 AM

I find that the really busy modern fabrics aren't for me. Give no place for my eyes to rest. That said I still find a lot of fabric to buy.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:15 AM

I agree with you. I lived through the 70's, I really don't want to go through it again. Peace signs fabric, lime green, orange. Just not my style.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:37 AM

Unhappy

I know when I see a fabric if I like it or not. If I really like it - I purchase it - and I will decide
what to do with it later. I bought some fabric that caught my eye - it matched perfectly when
I made my latest tote bag. I almost didn't buy enough fabric - had just a few inches left. That's
the downside to not knowing what you are going to make with it.
My pictures won't download.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:03 PM

Interesting thread!

First off JenniePennie your quilt is gorgeous!

I just took a modern quilt class: the Modern Mystery Quilt that was on the AQS site last fall. *LOL* When I read the description of the class my eyes jumped to the words "Mystery", "uses lots of Fat Quarters", and "I used Batiks" and totally missed the word "MODERN".
I learned a lot including that "modern" isn't my thing even if it is made with batiks. No surprise there!

I don't care for the whole modern quilt thing: not the colours (lime green and orange = icky), not the fabric designs (boring or glaring), not the plain jane quilt patterns with giant rectangles and circles. I've let all my magazine subscriptions lapse except Quiltmaker and keep that one only because of Bonnie Hunter's column. I used to go in Borders and buy scads of quilt magazines every month. In the last six or so months I've looked through scores of magazines in grocery/big box stores and bought one or two or maybe three: and magazine publishers wonder why their sales are falling ..... Yes, it's wonderful we've attracted new quilters with their own thing but the industry needs to remember that "we" are the backbone and that if "we" don't spend our money, they will be in trouble.

Meanwhile I feel blessed we have three local quilt shops on our tiny island with lots of fabric choices in styles I love: BATIKS (my first love), Asian, and Hawai`ian (including "beachy" patterns).

I also buy online from Connecting Threads, Hancock's of Paducah, Crazyquiltgirl, Jinny Beyer, and a couple of others. I've collected multiple FQ packs of Civil War Reproduction fabrics and Wm Morris inspired fabrics.

If I love a fabric line I buy the FQ sample packs or if I REALLY LOVE a fabric I'll buy serious yardage. *LOL* It's a good thing I love Log Cabins and other scrappy quilt patterns (see Bonnie Hunter's site).

There's enough in my stash to (I hope) last until the "modern cycle" has run its course.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:44 PM
Banned

I don't really have that problem yet. I can always find tons of fabric that I love and I can immediately image the patterns and mixtures of fabrics I can add. I hope I never reach the point that I can't find fabric that sparks my interest and gets the juices flowing!