Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
deciding on quilt pattern and fabric >

deciding on quilt pattern and fabric

deciding on quilt pattern and fabric

Old 07-10-2013, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by scissor queen View Post
my only goal is to make me happy. That it makes other people happy in the process is a bonus. I love color and pattern and i discovered i'm very good at making them work together. Friends and relatives are excited to get one of my creations. That makes me happy.
love your attitude!
Old 07-10-2013, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by CorgiNole View Post
My goal is generally to learn a new technique and develop skills, so that is the driver in my choice.

Cheers, K
I do learn new techniques all the time, but it's sheerly by accident. That has never been my goal and never will be. My main goal is to make something for someone.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:25 AM

When I make a quilt it is because I must. . . The actual motivation for each one is different. Sometimes it is because I know someone who "needs" a quilt. Sometimes I'm making swap blocks and a set will "demand" to stay home and become its own quilt. Sometimes I will see a picture and just have to make my version of what I've seen.

As to why some never get finished - there are many reasons. Usually it has to do with some other priority taking precedence. That is often a gift that is needed by a certain deadline. I may have a vision of what type quilting would be perfect for it and know I'm not to that skill level yet. Sometimes I've gotten frustrated with it for whatever reason and know I need to let it sit in time out until I'm ready to work on it again. Sometimes I get interrupted and when I go back something else has caught my attention. Sometimes I don't have a clear vision of what I want it to become so I move on to something else. Sometimes I'm "just playing" to see how a technique will work. Sometimes I just run out of motivation for that particular project.

Does it matter whether they get done or not? I'm doing this primarily for my own creative pleasure. The fact that it can become something for others to enjoy and use is a fantastic bonus.