Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Deli Sheets >

Deli Sheets

Deli Sheets

Old 12-17-2014, 04:16 AM

[QUOTE=Geri B;7010321]A while back some mentioned using deli papers for something ........I bought some today at a restaurant supply business, BUT, now I cannot remember what they can be used for......that's not good is it???? Can someone turn the light back on in my brain!!!![/QU

Oh, thank Heaven, I thought I was the only one. I have notes all over the house, taped here, pinned there, on the kitchen cupboard, bathroom mirror, computer desk, sewing machine. You name it. Isn't it great when someone remembers what you forgot though? Love it! We are a breed apart. I love my life. Edie
Old 12-17-2014, 05:49 AM

Love the idea of winding spools of thread with press and seal. I have read various posts of press and seal gumming up your machine if you sew thru it. Don't know if it is true or not but be careful if you do use it for sewing thru.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:25 AM

I buy the deli sheets at my Costco and use them for string blocks.....work great. I hate using the Press n Seal although I know it works for some things. It's just so unruly......keep sticking to itself....any tips for easier handling?
Old 12-17-2014, 09:32 AM
Power Poster

If they are thin like parchment paper, I would use them to draw my design and machine quilt through. Ripping the paper off and seeing how well my stitching turned out, is one of my favorite things.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:31 PM

I am glad I am not the only one who bought something and forgot what it was for.......just let me go to a quilt show and they can sell me the moon and then I forgot what I bought it for......so we must all be related.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by momsobon View Post
I am glad I am not the only one who bought something and forgot what it was for.......just let me go to a quilt show and they can sell me the moon and then I forgot what I bought it for......so we must all be related.
i hope you don't mind if I laugh but I am so laughing at this. Those quilt shows will really get to you. I remember thinking I just had to have the "purple thang" at a show yrs ago but I still have yet to use it or what it was used for.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Pat G View Post
i hope you don't mind if I laugh but I am so laughing at this. Those quilt shows will really get to you. I remember thinking I just had to have the "purple thang" at a show yrs ago but I still have yet to use it or what it was used for.
Oh Pat, get out the 'Purple Thang' and use it! I have several. I find it invaluable for guiding fabric close to the needle, the flat end easing fabric onto the feed dogs, an extra push here and there close to the needle...it's plastic and the flat end has an indent from the needle that would have been my finger...and it didn't mess up the timing on the machine like a metal one would have done. The curved end grabs the threads from the bobbin and top thread that sometimes are short under the presser foot, so I can pull them to the side. It is great for gently pushing out corners.

On my cutting table I use them to adjust the blades on my rotary cutter when I don't quite get them centered properly while changing blades or the blades are sticking together out of the package.

I know fully well that there are other 'free' items like chop sticks but for me I absolutely can't imagine sewing without the Purple Thang close by.

Oh! One other thing, I absolutely love tucking a Purple Thang in a card to one of my quilty friends for birthdays and just a surprise card that says, 'Hope you're having a great day!'

Old 12-18-2014, 08:06 AM

Yes, purple thang is certainly your friend....realized that when one day in the middle something, I reached for it and it wasn't there.....frustrating, so I proceeded to get on line and ordered 3 from Nancy's notions...of course found the stray after that, but now have "them" spread around!
Old 12-18-2014, 08:36 AM

They are great for foundation piecing, also tracing a pattern to quilt and a pattern to applique. I picked up two rolls of paper fifteen years ago, the kind on a doctor's exam table, and still use them today. A little goes a long way.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

I only use tissue paper and I have a few foundation papers. I also save the tissue from when buying shoes. Just smooth them out. Most of the tissue paper for wrapping is 20x30" and that's 6 layer cakes sizes for foundation. It's super cheap when you buy at the dollar store, but not expensive anyway. I get the white but have used the other colors for darker piecing. Super easy to cut and tears off easily. I only use the Press N Seal to wrap meat. Don't need the sticky messing with my needles. The self adhesive bandage tape is great and reusable. That is good to cut a strip and wrap your spools of thread to keep from unwinding. Just cut a strip half the width of the spool so you can see the color of the spool but long enough to wrap 1 1/2 times just enough to secure.