Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Deli Sheets

Deli Sheets

A while back some mentioned using deli papers for something ........I bought some today at a restaurant supply business, BUT, now I cannot remember what they can be used for......that's not good is it???? Can someone turn the light back on in my brain!!!!

Blog Entries
    I believe they used it for foundation paper for string quilts.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Use it for WHAT???

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    A while back some mentioned using deli papers for something ........I bought some today at a restaurant supply business, BUT, now I cannot remember what they can be used for......that's not good is it???? Can someone turn the light back on in my brain!!!!
    I did the same with Press and Seal. I still have the roll but can't remember what somebody said it to use it for. Seemed like a good idea at the time

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat G View Post
    I did the same with Press and Seal. I still have the roll but can't remember what somebody said it to use it for. Seemed like a good idea at the time
    Some people draw a quilting design on the press and seal and quilt thru it. I personally don't care for it because it's a pain to get the little bits of plastic out between the stitches, especially if you have an area that you had to go over a few times, like intersections and such. Sulky Solvy is similar, but washes out. So much easier!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-16-2014 at 03:15 PM. Reason: language

I use strips of Press n Seal to wind around my spools of thread to keep them from unwinding.

The deli papers are indeed useful for foundation paper piecing.

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    LOL!! You must be my cousin or something! Jus cuz someone said buy it, you bought it and didn't know why. I do that all the time.

Oh, and BLAP", you're a genius with that Press and Seal! Will pick some up tomorrow.
    One step at a time, always forward.

I use the deli papers for string piecing. I use the Press and Seal to make storage bags any size I need.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Crazy quilt?

Thanks for shaking my brain....I am going to print these and tape them onto the box of deli sheets for future reference!-- or better yet dig out that box of scrap strips and do it! Hmmm, maybe next month!

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Geri B;7010321]A while back some mentioned using deli papers for something ........I bought some today at a restaurant supply business, BUT, now I cannot remember what they can be used for......that's not good is it???? Can someone turn the light back on in my brain!!!![/QU

Oh, thank Heaven, I thought I was the only one. I have notes all over the house, taped here, pinned there, on the kitchen cupboard, bathroom mirror, computer desk, sewing machine. You name it. Isn't it great when someone remembers what you forgot though? Love it! We are a breed apart. I love my life. Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Blog Entries
    Love the idea of winding spools of thread with press and seal. I have read various posts of press and seal gumming up your machine if you sew thru it. Don't know if it is true or not but be careful if you do use it for sewing thru.
    Happy Quilting
    Judy in Lower Michigan

I buy the deli sheets at my Costco and use them for string blocks.....work great. I hate using the Press n Seal although I know it works for some things. It's just so unruly......keep sticking to itself....any tips for easier handling?

If they are thin like parchment paper, I would use them to draw my design and machine quilt through. Ripping the paper off and seeing how well my stitching turned out, is one of my favorite things.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

I am glad I am not the only one who bought something and forgot what it was for.......just let me go to a quilt show and they can sell me the moon and then I forgot what I bought it for......so we must all be related.

Quote Originally Posted by momsobon View Post
    I am glad I am not the only one who bought something and forgot what it was for.......just let me go to a quilt show and they can sell me the moon and then I forgot what I bought it for......so we must all be related.
    i hope you don't mind if I laugh but I am so laughing at this. Those quilt shows will really get to you. I remember thinking I just had to have the "purple thang" at a show yrs ago but I still have yet to use it or what it was used for.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat G View Post
    i hope you don't mind if I laugh but I am so laughing at this. Those quilt shows will really get to you. I remember thinking I just had to have the "purple thang" at a show yrs ago but I still have yet to use it or what it was used for.
    Oh Pat, get out the 'Purple Thang' and use it! I have several. I find it invaluable for guiding fabric close to the needle, the flat end easing fabric onto the feed dogs, an extra push here and there close to the needle...it's plastic and the flat end has an indent from the needle that would have been my finger...and it didn't mess up the timing on the machine like a metal one would have done. The curved end grabs the threads from the bobbin and top thread that sometimes are short under the presser foot, so I can pull them to the side. It is great for gently pushing out corners.

On my cutting table I use them to adjust the blades on my rotary cutter when I don't quite get them centered properly while changing blades or the blades are sticking together out of the package.

I know fully well that there are other 'free' items like chop sticks but for me I absolutely can't imagine sewing without the Purple Thang close by.

Oh! One other thing, I absolutely love tucking a Purple Thang in a card to one of my quilty friends for birthdays and just a surprise card that says, 'Hope you're having a great day!'

Smiles from Idaho,
    Onalee

"What if you woke up today with only the things you had thanked God for yesterday?" ~ Michael Hyatt

Yes, purple thang is certainly your friend....realized that when one day in the middle something, I reached for it and it wasn't there.....frustrating, so I proceeded to get on line and ordered 3 from Nancy's notions...of course found the stray after that, but now have "them" spread around!

They are great for foundation piecing, also tracing a pattern to quilt and a pattern to applique. I picked up two rolls of paper fifteen years ago, the kind on a doctor's exam table, and still use them today. A little goes a long way.
    BettyGee, quilter on a Rocky Mountain High

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I only use tissue paper and I have a few foundation papers. I also save the tissue from when buying shoes. Just smooth them out. Most of the tissue paper for wrapping is 20x30" and that's 6 layer cakes sizes for foundation. It's super cheap when you buy at the dollar store, but not expensive anyway. I get the white but have used the other colors for darker piecing. Super easy to cut and tears off easily. I only use the Press N Seal to wrap meat. Don't need the sticky messing with my needles. The self adhesive bandage tape is great and reusable. That is good to cut a strip and wrap your spools of thread to keep from unwinding. Just cut a strip half the width of the spool so you can see the color of the spool but long enough to wrap 1 1/2 times just enough to secure.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Most packages of tissue have about 30 sheets in them. But figure 6 layer cake size sheets per one 20x30 sheet. The bandage can be reused on another spool when the current spool is empty.

Quote Originally Posted by onaemtnest View Post
    Oh Pat, get out the 'Purple Thang' and use it! I have several. I find it invaluable for guiding fabric close to the needle, the flat end easing fabric onto the feed dogs, an extra push here and there close to the needle...it's plastic and the flat end has an indent from the needle that would have been my finger...and it didn't mess up the timing on the machine like a metal one would have done. The curved end grabs the threads from the bobbin and top thread that sometimes are short under the presser foot, so I can pull them to the side. It is great for gently pushing out corners.

On my cutting table I use them to adjust the blades on my rotary cutter when I don't quite get them centered properly while changing blades or the blades are sticking together out of the package.

I know fully well that there are other 'free' items like chop sticks but for me I absolutely can't imagine sewing without the Purple Thang close by.

Oh! One other thing, I absolutely love tucking a Purple Thang in a card to one of my quilty friends for birthdays and just a surprise card that says, 'Hope you're having a great day!'

You really convinced me of the many ways to use it so I went to my little sewing shop to get it out & wouldn't you know. I can't find it anywhere. I think it's gone. I'm a snowbird so I carry most of my stuff back & forth & I haven't seen it in ages. Guess I'll have to search for another one. Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Pat

I use Press'n Seal all the time for quilting. I draw my design on it for a border, stick it to the fabric and then stitch the design. It works really well for me. It pulls off easily.
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

I use the deli sheets for stabilizer in embroidery. Stitches out great and tears off easily. Stitches don't seem to pull even I very dense.

Quote Originally Posted by nshanks View Post
    I use the deli sheets for stabilizer in embroidery. Stitches out great and tears off easily. Stitches don't seem to pull even I very dense.
    Writing this on the box along with " use for string quilts"

Thanks all for sweeping out those cobwebs!