Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Design Wall...Do You Have One? >

Design Wall...Do You Have One?

Design Wall...Do You Have One?

Old 03-23-2010, 11:22 AM

I am sure DH would love me to have one also b/c I use the pool table!

Kyia[/quote]

Me too, but I'm in the process of making one now. A design wall will be a must for the quilt my son wants me to make.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by SuzyM
I use the back of two vinyl table cloths and hang it on the wall using thumb tacks. My only available space is in the dinning room so when I am finish it is very easy to take down and it is really cheap.

I cannot complete a quilt without it. It is much better than the floor or on the bed because it can stay on the design wall until I have the top done - away from the doggy furries.
I also do this with a vinyl table cloth back thumbed tacked to the wall. I do not have a space to keep it up for very long.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by k3n
Originally Posted by DJ
I'm going to make one! I want to start a OBW and don't know how I'd do it without a design wall.
It was when I started with OBWs that we made mine - now I use it for everything! At the moment one of the IRR centres is jostling for position with the blocks for a scrappy I made the other day. And I feel like cutting another OBW so first I have to get those scrappy blocks joined and off of there! :lol:
DJ, what is a OBW? I am not quite up on some of these terms. Thanks. Linda

:?:
Old 03-23-2010, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by penski
i dont have one but after reading all the replies and watching a video yesterday i want one !! the lady in the video had her hung on the wall and she used it to layer her quilt for quilting !! i love that idea instead of laying it out on the floor and crawling on my hands and knees , does anyone else use theres for layering the quilt with the batting and backing ?
That sounds like a good idea. What site was the video on? thank, Linda
Old 03-23-2010, 01:32 PM

I saw the video as well, and want to upgrade my simple "flannel on the wall" to what she had so I can use her technique. She used ceiling tiles as the base for her design wall and covered it with fabric for regular use.

For her sandwiching technique, she pinned enough newspapers to the design wall to cover all area outside of the fabric she was working with. She then pinned her backing fabric over the newspapers (newspapers don't have to completely cover the design wall, you can leave the center free to take advantage of the flannel.) She then spray basted the wrong side of the backing while it hung on the wall. Added batting to the backing on the wall, using pins at the top edge because of the weight, then spray baste the batting. Then finally, put the quilt top on the batting, and smooth it on. She also put a sheet on the floor at the bottom of the design wall so that the overspray would not fall on the floor.

The link where I saw it was on "the Quilt Show" online and I think the video was available free to non-members...can't get to it now to give you the link.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:58 PM

I'm just in the process of creating mine. My wonderful brother-in-law has put up a pole (by use of brackets) on one of the walls in my sewing room (appox 6 x 6) and will be attaching wadding. The good thing about this is that he's creating a pulley which will roll up the design wall when not in use and I can still make use of that space for all the 'stuff' I have hanging there - you know, rulers, cutters, stencils etc, etc! Hopefully it will all work out OK - will take a photo and let you all know!!
Old 03-23-2010, 02:35 PM

I have a small design wall that is portable. I just picked up a "Project Pro Display Board" at CVS & covered it with flannel. Then I have a ceiling tile that is covered with flannel - this is good for an appliqued block. I purchased a Cheryl Ann design wall at our quilt show. It's HUGE, but because the legs stick out so far, it takes up a lot of floor space. I'm going to a mini-retreat this weekend & the place we are staying in does not allow tacks, tape or anything on the walls (the buildings are all historic buildings), so my husband bought 2 pieces of 1 1/2" PVC pipe, he cut 2 pieces to 46" & 2 pieces to 50". He bought 4 elbows to connect the corners. I picked up about 2 yards of flannel at JoAnns & sewed a pocked in the top & the bottom - I made it really taut. The beauty of this is that it leans up against the wall, doesn't do any damage & is easy to take apart & put together. I'm just going to make up a case for it, so my flannel doesn't get dirty while travelling!
Old 03-23-2010, 02:58 PM

I originally had a frame with flannel stretched over it, but there was too much flex and the pieces would eventually fall off. So I just took the fleece and stapled it directly to the wall and it works great
Old 03-23-2010, 04:18 PM

My friend's husband made her a design wall out of a five-foot, inch-and-a-half dowel, and 2 yards of flannel-backed vinyl and hung it over a closet in her sewing room. Not sure how he did it, but she could roll it up when she wasn't using it. Wish I was as clever.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:33 PM

I use grey headliner bought it at Joann's and asked for the cardboard roll it came on. I bought 2 feet and it was I think 5 feet wide. I just sewed the top to slide the cardboard roll inside and use a bunge to hang it on the wall. This way I can roll it up and take it to sewing class when I am working on a project. (Headliner is what it is called and used for things like roof of car, grey because it is a great color to use that doesn't class with your project so you see your colors well) So inexpensive and portable!