Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Design wall >

Design wall

Design wall

Old 07-12-2013, 05:41 AM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

You could put up hooks on either side of the gable or a PVC pipe across and hang it that way.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:45 AM

I have double doors on a closet and I taped a old vinyl tablecloth with the felt back facing out. Used the blue tape and put pieces I rolled into a tube so that it was sticky all the way around. I put it randomly all over the to doors, than pressed the vinyl side to this tape. Than cut up the center so I could open the closet doors. Cheap , fast and I love it.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:50 AM

I went to our local "Restore" or "Habitat for Humanity" store and bought a office wall divider that has cloth on it and it works perfect ~ took it apart and hung it on a track like for sliding door for closet in front of my shelves and can get double the width. If you don't like the material on the wall you can cover it with felt and that works too. Good Luck!
Old 07-12-2013, 06:14 AM

I used the insulation board that so many others have mentioned. I looked online and found 2" grid flannel made by Mayfair, I think. I cut the boards to the right height, covered the boards with the grid flannel, taped it to the back with packing tape, then mounted to the wall with screws in the corners. I covered each board separately since the flannel was only that wide. Works great to keep my blocks lined up straight.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:14 AM

I have hooks that fit over my tall cabinet door, a closet pole and a piece of batting (hemmed) to hang on the pole. this works great can be stored when not in use.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Tracy Delegal View Post
So, felt doesn't stick as well as fleece? What are ya'lls opinion on that?
I've used felt for years and never had a problem. In fact, my design wall is just that - a wall with felt tacked to it. It works great for me, and I rarely have any trouble with blocks or fabric coming off until I take them off - only the very heavy blocks are a bit of a problem. When I first used felt on the wall, I wasn't worried about form, only function, and this functions quite well for me. :-)
Old 07-12-2013, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for asking this question...It answers some questions about how I was going to make a design board.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Skratchie View Post
I've used felt for years and never had a problem. In fact, my design wall is just that - a wall with felt tacked to it. It works great for me, and I rarely have any trouble with blocks or fabric coming off until I take them off - only the very heavy blocks are a bit of a problem. When I first used felt on the wall, I wasn't worried about form, only function, and this functions quite well for me. :-)
Oh thank you! I was going to try it anyway. Boy howdy, I sure need it! LOL I am pretty good at envisioning what I want, but the borders are about to do me in! Thank you for responding to me Skratchie!
Old 07-12-2013, 06:57 AM

I also used a pink foam insulation board (4 x 8), covered it with a piece of batting and my DH attached it to a wall with strips of wood trim. Originally I purchased two 4 x 8 sheets of the insulation boards to hang side by side to make the design wall 8 x 8 BUT I did not judge the space I had for them correctly. They are easy to cut down and I was going to do just that. However, my DH got busy and put one up with the 8' going across and the 4' coming down the wall. Anyway, it works great and is very helpful. No more laying quilts out on the floor and trying to get a good look at it before sewing.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:11 AM

Hello, yes I have a design wall which I made myself. My sewing room is in the basement and all the walls are covered in chip board. So I just made a frame 68" tall by 90" wide as my ceilings are low and I have baseboard heating. I covered the area with batting as it seems most fabric will stick to it when you don't want it to. I also use Quilt Basting Spray or 505 occasionally when the fabric won't stay up there. I thought about putting a layer of styafoam behind the batting but I also press the quilt right on the design wall at times so the heat from the iron could/would melt the foam so I left it out. This has worked for me. I wish I could have made it taller but with low ceilings I had no choice.

Suz in Iowa