Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
design wall >

design wall

design wall

Old 11-01-2017, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I use my bed as my design wall. I don't crawl on the bed, it would mess up the quilt blocks. I just walk around the end and sides of bed, on the floor. Same as when I go to bed. After I like the arrangement I number all blocks W/ Crayola washable markers. Yes, the markers all wash completely out all the time and always.
i did that when i first started to quilt in the 80's. i have had degenerative spinal disease since teens. the bed trick didn't last long ..backbreaking in every sense of the word! so then i moved the dining table & and used the hardwood floor & hoped i'd finish before hubby got home from work and wanted his dinner so now ..hang a piece of felt and leave as long as needed
Old 11-01-2017, 03:34 PM

I bought sheet insulation then tacked batting to it.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:58 PM

I have three...one is white fleece attached to the wall with a quilt hanger that is a long magnet. Metal curtain rod in a pocket on the fleece and it clings to the magnet. One is fleece that is just pinned around a door in my sewing room (I use that for completed squares that are awaiting their quilt-mates)...and one is the wall in my daughters old room. We had a handy man attach some type of building material to one wall...making it is a HUGE bulletin board/design wall. I use all three. Actually they are all COVERED! lol
Old 11-01-2017, 07:05 PM

I bought a felt design wall with groments on one end and hung it in my sewing room with command hooks. I roll it with lint roller if it gets to many threads on it. I have had it for years.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:04 PM

Cream colored fleece attached with velcro - one side sticky to place on the wall and one side sew on for the fleece. That way it is easily removable at holidays so the family room can look like a family room, otherwise it's a nice sewing room - my sewing room turned into storage room. I don't have to pin anything, though a certain Border Collie blows off a few low placed blocks with her happy dance occasionally.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:14 PM

Bought 4 sheets of foam insulation . Was intending to hang them on the wall like a 4patch, but decide I like the portability of not hanging them. I cover them with Warm and Natural Batting .
Old 11-01-2017, 08:17 PM
Banned

I bought a flannel backed tablecloth at Big Lots on clearance about 7 years ago and it still works fine. I used push pins to pin it to the wall of my old house but I'm thinking about stapling it to an old roller shade bar for my new house so I can roll it up out of my way when I need to.

Cari
Old 11-02-2017, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Suggestion .... a piece of corroplast would slide behind your hutch, and would lean up against the hutch when you want to use it. Could stab pins through to hold blocks on to it. Or could cover the corroplast with fleece, and the blocks will stick to it without the pins.
GENUS!!! Thank you Thank you QuiltE! I have been struggling for months on what to do with my design walls. I made them out of insulation foam boards covered with flannel. After I got them made (made 2 because the sheet of insulation was too big to stand up in my house, duh 8 foot ceilings, 8 foot board no fit) Anyway, I had them in my outdoor storage shed for a while, but very inconvenient to use. They would not fit under either of the beds, no free wall to hang them on, a real dilemma. Almost reached the stage of just giving them away or cutting them up. But you my new friend stated the obvious STORE BEHIND A HUTCH! I have a hutch in my sewing room and one in the dining room. I even have a huge chest of drawers in my bedroom, Not once did my old brain think of behind something, I only thought of under something. As soon as I can move that hutch away from the wall a couple of inches, I am golden.
Once again thank you so much for what I consider an absolutely genius idea!
Murphy
Old 11-02-2017, 03:11 AM

I had a nice design wall my daughter and SIL made me. It was plywood with cork board and felt. Used it for years. I recently took it down and put up a wide back piece of flannel. The old board just wasn't long enough for a bigger quilt.
Old 11-02-2017, 04:16 AM

I just received a Fons and Porter Design Wall for my birthday. It is 60 x 72 with 2 inch grids. Looks wonderful but I don't know how costly it was and refuse to look since it was a present. Now, to find a big wall.