Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Determined!!!!! >

Determined!!!!!

Determined!!!!!

Old 01-22-2014, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by LivelyLady View Post
Google Drag Queen Feathers for a tutorial that for me is the easiest technique. Also, Google Leah Day. I still have a lot of practice to do, but every time I practice, it gets a little easier.
I love drag queen feathers.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:49 AM

Leah Day looks good. Are you near any locations that have quilt festivals/shows with classes? There are usually some teachers there. Ask at your LQS or guild for teachers.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
The most valuable tool for me was being able to control the speed on my machine. I set it to half and put the pedal to the metal. This allows me to concentrate in moving my hands and quilt in a smooth manner.
I agree with this!! If you have an older machine without the speed control, you can put a piece of wood in the pedal to limit your speed..this works very well for FMQ and for teaching newbies to use a machine.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:50 PM

It does take a lot of practice, and finding the right speed of machine in combination of how you move your hands. Faster machine, slower hands. Also finding what works best for you to help control fabric, whether it is wearing quilting gloves, some other quilting helper, or using Neutragena Emulsion lotion which is what Diane Gaudynski taught me many years ago. If your machine has needle down, that is really helpful. You can try both having your feed dogs down and up to see what works best for you. Keep practicing...you will get it!
Old 01-22-2014, 10:42 PM

I purchased panels to make into charity or baby quilts etc. they were small size so would easily go under the harp. I then followed outlines etc and practiced patterns in open areas.
I love reading how to and learn that way I also enjoy watching utubes and any other ways I can before going on the fabric. I have done classes and tried different darning feet until I found I prefer an open front so I can see where I am better. I also picked a tip from here and I keep feed dogs up sometimes, I also take foot pedal out and speed half way and switch on button. Try all the tips and enjoy.
It gets easier as you gain confidence .
Old 01-23-2014, 04:55 AM

I don't do FMQ but with SITD, cross hatching, or echoing the seams, I baste well to keep the layers in place and to prevent tucks on the backing.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:57 AM

Dreaming, you can do this! Excellent advise from Kwilter: 'look where you are going'. I keep my eye just ahead of where the needle is and trust my hands to get me where my eye is focused. Train your eyes to do this and it will become second nature. I took my first machine quilting class with Harriett Hargrave and she inspired me to 'just keep going'. Always have small sandwiched practice pieces near your machine to practice on. If you practice 15 - 20 minutes a day (or as often as possible), within 6 months you will be satisfied and encouraged at your amazing progress. Date each of your practice pieces and stack them somewhere......look at them a month or two later...and you will smile at your progress.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:38 AM

http:www/daystyledesigns.com Great tutorials, and many different quilting designs.

above all relax, after all, it is just a quilt. Good luck, and enjoy