Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Determined!!!!! >

Determined!!!!!

Determined!!!!!

Old 01-21-2014, 12:16 PM
Jim

I really like the videos on free motion quilting by Leah Day...easy to understand and there's over 200 of them in different patterns...search for her videos on UTube
Old 01-21-2014, 02:10 PM

There are several things that can help. I found using a low loft batting. (such as warm and natural or warm and white or something along those lines) really made a difference for me. Make sure your quilt is supported all around and if you have an extended table for your machine or have it inset in a table so the table is flush with the sewing surface it helps a lot. Trying to FMQ on a small free arm area is awful! One of the mistakes I made all the time (still do once in a while) is moving quite a bit faster on the curves. Kind of a swoop factor. That causes problems.
I also recommend Leah Day's tutorials and her craftsy class. Also Ann Peterson and Angela Waters craftsy classes on quilting. Craftsy has sales periodically and you may be able to get the classes very cheaply.
Beyond that, relax, and you will get better and better as you practice and work on the skill.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:57 PM

Thank you sew much for all the great tips!! I may not have asked the initial question... but I sure could use the great advice!!
Old 01-22-2014, 04:13 AM

Go to Youtube and search for Leah Day. She has a lot of videos on how to do free motion quilting. She has a"quilt along" that builds from basic to more complex. Also, if you go to her website she has lots of quilting patterns and she has a short video on each one that shows you how to do it.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by Dreaming View Post
I don't know how many times I have said this, but I am determined to learn how to machine quilt on my sewing machine. I know it's practice, practice, practice, but do you ladies/gentelmen have any tips that can help me on my journey? Books? Tapes? Classes? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Today Craftsy has a class on sale for $14.99 for quilting on your domestic machine.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:23 AM

I have the worst meandering on earth, but making simple daisies, flowers, and leaves and vines seems to flow naturally for me. I've also found Free Motion Quilting by Angela Walters very helpful. She LAQ's but the book is written for using a DSM, too. I finally just started quilting on throws and pieces that were going to be used on the sofa. Mine or someone elses. I get more bent out of shape when it's a quilt that will be spread out on our bed. Bed quilts for my kids, I'm not so worried about... They have so darn many stuffed animals, who can see the bed, anyway?
Old 01-22-2014, 04:23 AM

If you are on Facebook, a new group, called Machine Quilting on Domestics, has started. It's a closed group, but click on "join group" there is a good amount of info and tips there......
Old 01-22-2014, 04:38 AM

I have found that really practicing on paper while sitting in front of the TV makes SOOO much difference before going to a sandwich. Also, the Craftsy classes are just awesome- you can forward just to the stitch you want to practice and watch it over and over. Leah Day, Angela Walters(more forgiving), and more advanced Cindy Needham. I also have Patsy Thompsom's DVD's, and a variety of books from JoAnns (with coupons). Just embrace the process and enjoy it. It won't be perfect in the beginning, but the mistakes won't show in the scheme of things!!
Old 01-22-2014, 04:56 AM

I conquered the meander by thinking of a jigsaw puzzle. It seems to help by creating "pieces" that interlock rather than just curves. You just make a puzzle out of the quilt, never making a straight line.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:06 AM

I have enjoyed and appreciated some of the Craftsy classes I have undertaken. Most of all I like to work on the projects as I go along. I purchased a medium quality muslin-a bolt as a matter of fact and use batting scraps to make quilt sandwiches. I made some place mat size and some 36 inches square, 45 inches square. One real truth presented itself-I need some kind of design to follow such as a stencil pattern or drawn on paper and then pinned to the quilt. I cannot simply free-form a design as I have seen in some of the videos. However, I should not have been surprised at that because I cannot draw or paint a picture so why would I expect to be able to draw with my sewing machine needle. I just accept this limitation and use other tools to get my design on my quilt. Long story short I tend to be drawn to instruction that helps me use the tools as opposed to the free form classes.