Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Determined!!!!! >

Determined!!!!!

Determined!!!!!

Old 01-20-2014, 09:53 PM

I am new at FMQ as well, since I am new at it, I haven't really relaxed while doing it yet. I have found I cannot FMQ very long or I screw it up. When I begin to get tired it's time to quit.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:49 AM

Leah Day is doing a year-long quilt along teaching FMQ for beginning quilters. You might want to check this out.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
The most valuable tool for me was being able to control the speed on my machine. I set it to half and put the pedal to the metal. This allows me to concentrate in moving my hands and quilt in a smooth manner.

This is so TRUE!! You want to be able to move the fabric at the same speed that the feed dogs would if they were engaged. I was so lucky to take a class from Harriet Hargrave. She has always been in my opinion the best! Her book "Heirloom Machine Quilting" should be a staple in any machine quilter library. Take a quilting class at your LQS. You will learn MORE than you could watching videos.

luana is correct. Make charity quilts for kids and practice on them. That is what is done at the local Gammill dealership. They let their students practice on charity quilt tops made by the local quilt guild.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:12 AM

I think my problem with FMQing is the same as my problem with creative writing versus technical writing. I am an excellent technical writer but have no imagination. I am fine doing straight line quilting. I need to find some way to loosen up my extreme "left brainism".
Old 01-21-2014, 10:20 AM

I have been attempting to FMQ and I have just recently purchased Leah Days Craftsy class and the class takes you through FMQ from the beginning, what products help, and other classmates have super responses to cheaper alternatives (like purchasing a slip and sew mat for half the cost of the Supreme Slider ),It is a great class, check it out.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by PGFlowers View Post
Leah Day is doing a year-long quilt along teaching FMQ for beginning quilters. You might want to check this out.

I second the Leah Day comment. Check her out. Do her practice samples as suggested.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:29 AM

Leah Day videos have been very helpful for me. The thing that has helped me the most, though, is using the Stop/Start key rather than the foot pedal when I FMQ. My stitches are a lot more consistent that way.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:04 AM

Two things I have done is practice using paper and no thread. Draw a design you like and just stitch over it so you get the muscle memory of making curves and such. Also, get some cheap printed panel fabrics and quilt them by following the lines. It's like coloring in a coloring book, and you can always get fancy inside the designs to practice as you progress. You can make them into kids quilts, or table mats if you like to use your work for a purpose.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:08 AM

I have a Juki 2010q which I love but was having problems, like you. When I spoke to my dealer
he said "slow hand, fast foot". Since I tried this, after three years, I find there is a lot of truth in
this. Good luck and keep practicing.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:16 AM
amh

It is just like when you are driving a car. Look where you want to go. Your stitch length and speed will come as you practice. We all find the speed that is right for us when we are FMQing. And, wine, a glass of wine always helps me relax and things move smoother.