Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dialysis Patients Quilts >

Dialysis Patients Quilts

Dialysis Patients Quilts

Old 10-30-2011, 02:06 PM

I finally got the quilt finished that you inspired me to do. I called different hospitals to get a young patient on dialysis. Since there were none, I did some research and come up with a little girl who was 10 that was in need of a heart transplant. So, for Olivia's 10th birthday, instead of presents - she received 1/4 yard cuts of material and this is what I came up with. I don't know if you can see the fringed flowers or not but I tried to make it a bit girly-girly!! There were only 3 attendees but did those girls enjoy their day decorating cupcakes, flip flops, and riding the horse in tea party style! Since the birthday, we have received word the little girl received her heart transplant and is doing great!! We have never met her but she has certainly made an impact on these girls.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-279492.jpe  
Old 10-31-2011, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by SoBuzy
I finally got the quilt finished that you inspired me to do. I called different hospitals to get a young patient on dialysis. Since there were none, I did some research and come up with a little girl who was 10 that was in need of a heart transplant. So, for Olivia's 10th birthday, instead of presents - she received 1/4 yard cuts of material and this is what I came up with. I don't know if you can see the fringed flowers or not but I tried to make it a bit girly-girly!! There were only 3 attendees but did those girls enjoy their day decorating cupcakes, flip flops, and riding the horse in tea party style! Since the birthday, we have received word the little girl received her heart transplant and is doing great!! We have never met her but she has certainly made an impact on these girls.
They are beautiful girls. I am so just the messager. I am so happy. I am working on quilt 6 & 7 now. One of the ladies in my guild told me she found out the man who does her yard is on dialysis so she made him a quilt. This has been just what I needed to motivate me to finish my quilts. The hardest part is trying not to let others take me away from something I enjoy doing. Especially people who don't sew.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:13 AM

I just now saw this post!

I'm about to finish up a quilt that I made for a friend of ours that's been on dialysis for 18 years! John was offered a transplant, and declined, saying that those are for young folks and married people. He's the sweetest man I know, next to my own spousal unit, and I can't wait to give him the quilt we made for him! He's always so cold....
Old 10-31-2011, 07:48 AM

Isn't it a wonderful feeling we get from doing this with our quilting? No way we can call them charity quilts when we get so much ourselves from creating them and giving them where they are needed. :D
Old 10-31-2011, 10:00 AM

I so agree! We can't call them charity quilts....they definately do much more for us!!! I'm so sorry Doreen but I am so glad to hear you are thinking about taking care of your body. I am the "silly" person around my friends and family as I try to opt out of SUGAR........and many other processed foods. I think it may be our biggest fault for all the dibetic issues but that's just my thinking. You hang in there girl and we'll certainly keep you on our prayer list if you don't mind. I see my quilt didn't appear so will try and post it again. I'm really not very good at this yet.....

Kloey's Quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]279859[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-279806.jpe  
Old 10-31-2011, 11:12 AM

Kloey's quilt is wonderful!!!!! Hugs and smiles and keep on taking care of ourselves so we can keep on quilting!!!
Old 10-31-2011, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by SoBuzy
I so agree! We can't call them charity quilts....they definately do much more for us!!! I'm so sorry Doreen but I am so glad to hear you are thinking about taking care of your body. I am the "silly" person around my friends and family as I try to opt out of SUGAR........and many other processed foods. I think it may be our biggest fault for all the dibetic issues but that's just my thinking. You hang in there girl and we'll certainly keep you on our prayer list if you don't mind. I see my quilt didn't appear so will try and post it again. I'm really not very good at this yet.....
I love the colors. Tell Olivia to keep up the great work.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:00 PM

I love this idea and am inspired to make some quilts for our local dialysis center, thanks for starting this thread.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by sewhappy30
I love this idea and am inspired to make some quilts for our local dialysis center, thanks for starting this thread.
I have been inspired by so many on this board who give so much of themselves, shared their work and ideas. This board have truely changed my life. I am glad I can inspire others as I have been. Reading the positive feedback you all leave makes me more determine to stay on task. Thank you all.