Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dialysis Patients Quilts >

Dialysis Patients Quilts

Dialysis Patients Quilts

Old 09-21-2011, 12:39 AM

I would like to help! I soon will have a LA with a 10 foot table, if I can machine quilt for you let me know! Would only charge for the thread and batting if needed... If this sounds ok, let me know...
MJ
Old 09-21-2011, 03:31 AM

I found a website that gives the simple quilt pattern used by a quilt guild for their dialysis center:
"Quick donation quilt"
www.stcroixquilters.com/Guild%sub-we

They also mention that the size needed is 45x70.
Do not use white fabrics.
Use 100% cotton or flannel.
Quilts should not be too bulky-please use a thin batting.
Use any pattern you like or the quick pattern below byJen Lacasse.

A picture is shown also.
Hope this helps with ideas!
Old 09-21-2011, 03:37 AM

Oops, this is the website URL:

http://www.stcroixquilters.com/Guild...APRIL%2009.pdf
Old 09-21-2011, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Ann63
The ones I have done are about 45x60. If anyone has any suggestions, please post them. I still consider myself a beginner so this is new to me. I will post pictures when my camera finish charging.
That's the size I made for my sister for her chemo. Sadly she only got to use it for two months. These quilts are really nice. What is the pattern for the second one? I'd like to try that one. And I love the colors combination.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:17 AM

Dianne Dye of Designs by Diane came in one Saturday to teach this design to our guild. It was suppose to be a table runner and I decided to make it a little larger so my placement were an afterthought. This is really a quick and easy pattern. Diane uses 4 1/2 inch strips. I posted to the link below. It is in her Season 1 videos called Positively Negative.

http://www.dbdquilts.com/quiltvideos.asp?V=Positive

I also found this pattern using a 2 1/2 inch strips by Eleanor Burns. Her blocks are called Twin Sisters. The blocks are smaller but very pretty. Here is the link.

http://quilterstv.com/channel/video/1255
Old 09-21-2011, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by MJONW
I would like to help! I soon will have a LA with a 10 foot table, if I can machine quilt for you let me know! Would only charge for the thread and batting if needed... If this sounds ok, let me know...
MJ
Thanks so much MJ
Old 09-21-2011, 08:16 AM

Love this idea. In fact, just talked with a cousin who has a daughter turning 9. For her birthday, she is requesting a FQ rather than a birthday gift......then we are going to put it together and donate it as you suggested! THANKS for the idea!!! :-P
Old 09-21-2011, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Ann63
I have a request for quilters. While making a quilt for my aunt on dialysis, I searched to see if there were in organization that make quilts for dialysis patients. I could not find one. My aunt is always saying how cold it is there and althought at her center they do give them blankets, they are still cold. I read on the internet with cutbacks some hospitals have stopped passing out blankets to dialysis patients who come in for day treatments, they have to bring their own. So I am requesting to my fellow QB members that we make a quilt for at least one dialysis patient for Christmas. My goal is 10, so far I have 3 tops done.
My first husband was on dialysis for about 6 years before passing away 10 years ago. He brought his own blanket and he talked about how cold it was, not just any blanket would do either, for none would keep he warm enough. Just thought I'd let you know.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:36 PM

The blanket or quilt should be big enough to wrap around. My chemo unit had leather recliners, not conducive to warmth, but if I wrapped my quilt around me, like a sleeping bag, I was ok and could easily get up if needed.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:34 PM

I have been on dialysis and you are cold. I was lucky enough to have good friends that supplied me with quilts.