Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dialysis Patients Quilts >

Dialysis Patients Quilts

Dialysis Patients Quilts

Old 09-20-2011, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Ann63
The ones I have done are about 45x60. If anyone has any suggestions, please post them. I still consider myself a beginner so this is new to me. I will post pictures when my camera finish charging.
We do dialysis quilts in one of guilds - about same width but make them about 72 inches long so a patient can be covered from chin to over the toes. Remember there are tall people out there (this from a vertically challenged female of about 60 inches!!). Sincen we don't have a clue about a patient's height, we make them all the longer length. Only problem we have is getting them quilted. Most of our members do not like to make quilts that big - which really isn't that big at all (I have a friend who makes and quilts mking-size quilts on her domestic sewing machine! Brave girl!!

Sandy in Mooresville, NC
Old 09-20-2011, 11:56 AM

I'll certainly make a couple ! Sarq
Old 09-20-2011, 01:04 PM

Oh! You and your new ministry are heaven sent! With many family members having been on dialysis and a son with a kidney transplant, this "work" is just what I want and need to do. I had just reorganized my fabric and wondered who with what need would like a quilt.
Thanks for the answer!
And bless all of you who give your quilts to those in need.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by knichols58
Thank you for starting this thread, as my DH just started dialysis. I've gathered music fabric to make him a quilt - he's a jazz musician. I've been looking for the right pattern for this. I'm anxious to read the other replies for inspiration. Thank you.
I made 2 quilts with music fabrics. One a D9P, and the other a simple 9P. My DH's favorite is the 9P.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:23 PM

Our guild makes quilts for the local dialysi clinic. The clinic suggests quilts be made from darker fabrics as lighter fabrics show more stains. We try to keep the clinic supplied with extra quilts for any new patients
Old 09-20-2011, 03:52 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have 2 with white fabrics, but I will be choosing dark for future quilts. I also like the idea to use flannel backing. I started out making denim/flannel quilts so I will be making a few of those also. Thanks again to you all for such positive response.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:19 PM

I'm sure whether they are on dialysis or taking chemo a snuggly blanket would be most welcome.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:50 PM

One of Ministers was having dialysis a few years ago and our quilting group at the church made quilts for all of the people there and they were so appreciated.

Peg-Tx
Old 09-20-2011, 07:06 PM
Power Poster

What a wonderful thing you are doing. I wish I had thought of something like this when my nephew was going through dialysis several years ago. Maybe the nurse kept him warm - he wound up marrying his dialysis nurse and they've been married 3 years now. Another happy ending after receiving a transplant from his cousin.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:28 PM

My sister is on dialysis and I am making her a quilt too. She has a small one that the center gave her but it is not quite large enough to keep her warm. When they remove all their blood to filter and clean it, it is returned to the body at below body temp besides the fact that the rooms are kept cool just like an OR is at the hospital to help with the germs and the heat that all the equipment puts off. One thing that needs to be remembered is that these quilts will get a lot of use and laundering so they need to be sturdy and well constructed. I know that my sister has extremely dry skin since her dialysis and the flannel or fleece would not be great for her so I am sticking with cottons and a thin low-loft batting like I would put in a baby quilt that can handle the laundry conditions it will experience.