Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did anyone get the letter from Fabricdepot.com? >

Did anyone get the letter from Fabricdepot.com?

Did anyone get the letter from Fabricdepot.com?

Old 03-09-2013, 01:02 PM

I got the same letter yesterday in the mail. Our account was compromised at Christmas and it was my card. Thank goodness our bank caught it. Someone in Australia tried to use it several times. They told me it was because I had used my card online but I use Paypal. I had forgotten about Fabric Depot from a one time order the previous year. That letter answered my question on where it happened at. I appreciate Fabric Depot sending out that letter.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:54 PM

I am a bit nervous about why we have been notified over such a long period of time. . .from before Christmas until now. Anyone else wonder?
Old 03-09-2013, 03:19 PM

It is not only online store that have been compromised, I received an email from Target saying they received notice from some other merchants that their credit card customers have been compromised. There was nothing on my card but Target issued new credit cards.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:40 PM

My letter said that they'd discovered the problem on Jan. 7th. I talked to them and they said that when they were made aware of the problem they immediatly hired an outside investigator who discovered that they'd been hacked last October.

I was actually first notified by my own bank. I have a ceiling on my debit card and there is a limit that anyone could steal from me via my card. A fraud agency (just guessing that it was the company hired by Fabric Depot) notified my bank that my card had been compromised. Someone from San Clamenty (sp?), Calif. had tried to get $4-plus via my card. My bank had me call the agency to verify that it was not me.

I talked to a very pleasant man who told me that they usually put in a small amount to 'test' the card.

I don't blame Fabric Depot...this just happens in today's world. Your card could be stolen just using it at a real store and giving it to the clerk if you're not careful. I have software that shows that my own personal computer has over 1000 attempts per month of people trying to hack my computer. I keep no personal info on it.

My son-in-law's computer has software that shows how many attempts and where they are coming from...a lot of them are showing to come from Venezuela, China, etc. Seldom from the U.S.

I don't use credit cards at all...just debit with a small ceiling. If I need to make a large purchase, I call my bank and let them know before-hand.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:35 PM

I called them to say thank-you and that my card had been used on Thanksgiving day in Sweden and Italy. My credit union had called with the first going through and stopped the second attempt. They straightened it all out and I simply had to wait for a new debit card.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:40 PM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

I don't remember getting anything from FabricDepot, I may have deleted it without reading anything from them but I did have a MC compromised......my credit card company caught it right away and contacted me......a charge actually went thru but was taken off my bill. Wow, so not a good thing.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:50 PM

I did receive a letter. This will not make me stop using Fabric Depot. I have had my paypal account accessed also. Someone bought expensive plants and patio furniture before I caught it. I think it was an "inside" job but what do I know? It is a cautionary tale for all of us-we just have to be very watchful. That is just part of our world now-like dial phones used to be!
Old 03-09-2013, 07:09 PM

I received the letter from Fabric Depot. My concern is that I do not believe I ordered anything online from them. I did have two credit cards fraudulently used prior to Christmas 2012. The paypal account was tied to a credit card issued years ago, never activated and never used by us. Took months to get it straightened out. I hesitate to use paypal, now. Other credit card did not let the fraud actually take place. They did not approve the purchase of almost $1,000. Neither of our frauds were for small dollar amounts. Do each of you feel you really did shop online with Fabric Depot?????
Old 03-09-2013, 07:20 PM

I got the letter, my cards were hacked in February -- just 9 days after my online purchase at Fabric Depot. Over $1800 was charged in a very short period of time. The fraud folks caught it and notified me -- some they were able to cancel and the rest I had to file a fraud report for. The charges were pulled and a new card issued. We only use one credit card on the internet and we have gone through this a couple of times.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:20 PM
mah

Two of my cards had been hacked thru their system!! I am at least glad they found out their system had been hacked. I also got the letter.