Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did Gingher stop making scissors? >

Did Gingher stop making scissors?

Did Gingher stop making scissors?

Old 01-14-2014, 11:40 AM

I am so sick of that happening with everything.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:52 AM

did a search online and found this ... http://www.gingher.com/
Old 01-14-2014, 12:59 PM

I have at least a dozen pairs of real Gingher scissors, some still in their boxes unused. I hate the ones that are being sold under the name Gingher in places like Joann's they aren't the same. I've also switched to Dovo, but I got one pair of Dovos that just aren't right while all my other Dovos are fantastic. I guess Fiskar makes good cheap scissors but not good expensive ones.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:15 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Anyone heard of Mundial scissors? I acquired a left-handed pair from the former owner of the shop I owned in TX a decade ago. They were used often at our cutting stations when the rotary cutters were not the right tool. The Mundial brand looks almost exactly like Ginghers and is sold at this knife site in what they call their Brazil series.

Good information on how the scissors are made and all reviewers give them 5 stars.
http://www.knifecenter.com/item/MU83...ewing-Scissors

Jan in VA
Old 01-14-2014, 03:42 PM

Among others I have 2 pair of 7” old Ginghers that are wonderful for trimming. light weight easy to handle and I am even left handed.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:52 PM

my good scissors arefrom Germany and called Rostfrei Inox and have a square box with it looks like two stick people in the box. They are left handed and my DH sharpens them as needed. i have had them for at least 10 years. They don't leave my sewing room.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:18 PM

I didn't realize Gingher had changed, I have 2 pair that I bought many years ago, the older one is great but does get heavy, the newer one (but several years old) not as good, I'll have to check what is stamped on it. I did buy a set of Kai about 2 years ago, those ae the best, not heavy & super sharp.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:03 PM

Interesting...I have 4 different pairs of Gingher scissors and I just went and checked all of them. 3 of the 4 are made in Italy but my 8" shears says Mexico!?

The 3 from Italy are smaller. (4" blade, buttonhole, applique) All 4 pairs were bought new within the last 2 years and I think they may have all come from Joann's. (The buttonhole scissors may have come from Amazon but I'm positive about the other 3)

They all are very nice scissors and I have no complaints, it's just interesting that I have a pair from Mexico. I had no idea!
Old 01-15-2014, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by cherrio View Post
well BIGREDHARLEY, where do you live? Our JoAnn's does still carry them. there are several JoAnn's in my area and the fabric quality and selection are vastly different from store to store. So, maybe it's the BUYER at the store you need to question. that can be done online too! good luck
I've been to two different Joann's about 50 miles apart. No joy. I am going to swing into another one today since I happen to be going to a different city about 90 miles away.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:42 AM

Ladibug, at those prices, nobody WANTS to hear of them, lol. I used to use Fiskars, but switched to Kai scissors a few years ago. I know I have a pair of Gingher Pinking Shears, think I only used them once or twice. They're still in the bos they came in ( more years ago than I can even remember).