Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did Gingher stop making scissors? >

Did Gingher stop making scissors?

Did Gingher stop making scissors?

Old 01-15-2014, 06:51 PM

Unhappy

Originally Posted by lockesnest View Post
The last two pair I purchased were nowhere near the former quality. I switched to Dovos.
I agree. The last pair I bought are dressmaker shears with gold handles. I have to oil them continually and not happy with them at all. My 5" Ginghers cut better. Didn't know about the buyout. Sad.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by yonnikka View Post
I'd like to say something nice about JoAnn products: I bought a small (5 inch length) pair of scissors, like you would use for embroidery or applique. I have been using them a few years, and they cut perfectly. I'm talking about not only the entire length of the blades, but the tippy points. They are so PRECISE, that I can cut one thread at a time, while cutting squares from my cotton quilting fabrics. They are emblazoned with the JoAnn Trademark name, and the words stainless steel CHINA. When I loaned them briefly, I say: "Watch out, they are SHARP and will take a finger off."
Yonnikka, are you Norwegian? I have a DSIL who is Norwegian and he has an aunt named Janika--pronounced like you spell your name. We call his father and mother FarFar and FarMor.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:59 PM

I have 2 pair of the shears: one marked Italy and one Brazil and a little thread snips marked Germany. I hardly ever use them anymore, but I will hang onto them. They still cut nicely.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:22 PM

Our Joann's still carries them . Guess I had better get another pair of their snips , as I would be lost w/o them. Sure hope "Fiskar" continues to make snips.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:20 PM

They moved them to Mexico and no the quality is not the same.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:14 PM

I have a pair of Gingher dressmaker shears...have had them for probably 20 years...and they still cut beautifully. I also have a pair of spring-loaded threads snips...same brand. Love them!
Old 01-16-2014, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by jojo47 View Post
I have a pair of Gingher dressmaker shears...have had them for probably 20 years...and they still cut beautifully. I also have a pair of spring-loaded threads snips...same brand. Love them!
Got mine in 1973 or thereabout.i don't remember the last time they were sharpened. Probably late 1970's. Still cut like butta!

Sandy
Old 01-16-2014, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Anyone heard of Mundial scissors? I acquired a left-handed pair from the former owner of the shop I owned in TX a decade ago. They were used often at our cutting stations when the rotary cutters were not the right tool. The Mundial brand looks almost exactly like Ginghers and is sold at this knife site in what they call their Brazil series.

Good information on how the scissors are made and all reviewers give them 5 stars.
http://www.knifecenter.com/item/MU83...ewing-Scissors

Jan in VA
I bought a pair of Mundial scissors at Walmart a long time ago. I'm thinking maybe 10 yrs or even more. My Gingher scissors are not very old. DH bought them at Joann's and they say Italy on them. I gave my Mundials to my daughter.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:09 AM

There are still "some" Ginghers around. Guess I'll give up my quest to replace the designer ones though and fess up to losing them.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:08 AM

A
nother one bites the dust! Good product down the drain.