Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did Gingher stop making scissors? >

Did Gingher stop making scissors?

Did Gingher stop making scissors?

Old 01-15-2014, 07:01 AM

My oldest pair I have had 43 years and they still work like a dream! I have two floral pair and am sad to hear they stop making them. I get them all sharpen ended at a place they sharpen surgical instruments and they come back with a free bandaid and super sharp! Take are of them and they will last forever!
Old 01-15-2014, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by bobbiesboutique View Post
My wal mart started carrying Gingher so I thoght something was different
I have looked for Ginghers every time we come back to the US, but have not been able to find them. This explains a lot.

I remember when Land's End was bought out by Sears and the quality went way down, but our ddil tells me now the quality seems to be bouncing back. Maybe they learned a lesson??

Light bulbs are poorer quality these days. When your bulbs last only a month or less, that is a bit aggravating--particularly if you have to use a ladder to install them.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Difergie View Post
My oldest pair I have had 43 years and they still work like a dream! I have two floral pair and am sad to hear they stop making them. I get them all sharpen ended at a place they sharpen surgical instruments and they come back with a free bandaid and super sharp! Take are of them and they will last forever!
Be sure you do not allow a "green horn" to sharpen them. Our daughter gave hers for sharpening at a fabric shop and they sharpened the points right out (i.e. the points don't meet anymore).
Old 01-15-2014, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Anyone heard of Mundial scissors? I acquired a left-handed pair from the former owner of the shop I owned in TX a decade ago. They were used often at our cutting stations when the rotary cutters were not the right tool. The Mundial brand looks almost exactly like Ginghers and is sold at this knife site in what they call their Brazil series.

Good information on how the scissors are made and all reviewers give them 5 stars.
http://www.knifecenter.com/item/MU83...ewing-Scissors

Jan in VA
Jan, Over the years, JoAnn's has carried Mundial. I have bought a coupe of pairs, and they couldn't cut anything. They were worthless. I'm glad you got some good ones, because I sure didn't. I'll stick with my Ginghers.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:14 AM
Power Poster

I seen Gingher scissors half price at JoAnns yesterday...
Old 01-15-2014, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Anyone heard of Mundial scissors? I acquired a left-handed pair from the former owner of the shop I owned in TX a decade ago. They were used often at our cutting stations when the rotary cutters were not the right tool. The Mundial brand looks almost exactly like Ginghers and is sold at this knife site in what they call their Brazil series.

Good information on how the scissors are made and all reviewers give them 5 stars.
http://www.knifecenter.com/item/MU83...ewing-Scissors

Jan in VA
I have a pair of the Mundial right handed and I love them. they best I have ever used.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:34 AM

I'd like to say something nice about JoAnn products: I bought a small (5 inch length) pair of scissors, like you would use for embroidery or applique. I have been using them a few years, and they cut perfectly. I'm talking about not only the entire length of the blades, but the tippy points. They are so PRECISE, that I can cut one thread at a time, while cutting squares from my cotton quilting fabrics. They are emblazoned with the JoAnn Trademark name, and the words stainless steel CHINA. When I loaned them briefly, I say: "Watch out, they are SHARP and will take a finger off."
Old 01-15-2014, 03:19 PM

Default Ginger scissors

I am hearing that the new ones are not made in Germany as were the original Gingers, and that the quality is not as good. I don't know personally, but I will sure guard my Gingers that I have had for years and years.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:56 PM

I love my gingers, but also use a pair of fiskars under the amplify name at work.... I work at Joann, and they gave us a couple of pairs of these for the cutting counter, bought my own pair just for work, they work great and cut like a dream, I have Kia, Gingar, Havel and love them all for whatever I bought them for...
Old 01-15-2014, 04:29 PM

Your shops can order any of them from their distributors. Plenty of styles, etc. just ask them. Pay upfront for the "special order" you request. Give the shops the opportunity to serve you. My local shop bends over backwards to order "special requests" for me.

Sandy