Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did I quilt enough? >

Did I quilt enough?

Did I quilt enough?

Old 12-14-2012, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by tesspug View Post
If you're not sure you could do the echo quilting or stippling, you could use 2" blue painters tape and run it along side your seams, on each side. Then follow along side the tape to make straight horizontal and vertical lines. It would create a sort of frame around each cup.
I think Iv' decided to do something like that. The vertical and horizontal lines that is.

I just discovered something else really dumb. Where the cup is outlined inside all of that is a 5 inch gap. Not sure what to do there.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:54 PM

If the batting said 2 to 4 inches, I would try for 2 inches just to be on the safe side. When I was new, I didn't pay any attention to how far apart the quilting should be and now after a few washings the batting has bunched up. I think you should err on the side of caution and with echo quilting around the cups, or echo quilt a few times around the background squares. That would be the easiest. Another easy fix is straight lines like the rays of the sun from the cups to the edge of the block about 1 inch apart. Your quilt is very pretty and all the different cups make it very nice. Good job.
Sue
Old 12-14-2012, 02:56 PM

I love your quilt! I would add vertical and horizontal straight lines along the edges of each block, maybe using invisible thread so as not to compete with your fabrics.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:06 PM

I like the idea of the circles at the corners. If you make a large circle then a smaller circle inside it they will look like coffee saucers and everyone will think you planned it that way.

Even though you have done stitch in the ditch along the seams the reason for doing the corners is to catch the batting between the cups. I think if you get the larger areas stabilized your should be OK under the cups. Very cute quilt. You are quite talented.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by susie-susie-susie View Post
If the batting said 2 to 4 inches, I would try for 2 inches just to be on the safe side. When I was new, I didn't pay any attention to how far apart the quilting should be and now after a few washings the batting has bunched up. I think you should err on the side of caution and with echo quilting around the cups, or echo quilt a few times around the background squares. That would be the easiest. Another easy fix is straight lines like the rays of the sun from the cups to the edge of the block about 1 inch apart. Your quilt is very pretty and all the different cups make it very nice. Good job.
Sue
OOhh. I like the rays of the sun idea.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom View Post
I like the idea of the circles at the corners. If you make a large circle then a smaller circle inside it they will look like coffee saucers and everyone will think you planned it that way.

Even though you have done stitch in the ditch along the seams the reason for doing the corners is to catch the batting between the cups. I think if you get the larger areas stabilized your should be OK under the cups. Very cute quilt. You are quite talented.
Thank you.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:28 PM
Power Poster

Congrats on a fun first quilt! This is a great pattern for scraps. I'd suggest doing straight lines of quilting, both horizontal and vertical to help fill in the spaces. Use a lighter colored thread to help blend more. Great job!
Old 12-14-2012, 03:48 PM
Power Poster

You have a fabulous quilt for a newbie!
Yes, when you go around an applique, that's echo quilting. You can echo as many times as you want.
If you're pretty sure about the batting info (2 to 4) then I would make the assumption that 4" would make the quilt secure enough. Again, this means that you need to have a line of quilting no more than 4" apart in any direction. So take a tape measure and measure from your echo quilting to the sitd around the squares. If it's 4" or less, then that area is OK.
but it has to be 4" in ALL directions, so from the cup handle to the edge of the block might be ok (horizontal) but if you measure vertically, next to the cup, you have 10" or so with no quilting, which is not. So you need something across this area to secure it.
I would make a paper mock up of a block. Sketch the cup and steam echo stitching. Use a sharpie for this, then doodle a bit with a pencil and measure to see what the unstitched areas are. Erase and try a different idea. Your additional lines are good, and I would also try connecting the mid point of each side and connect them. that will give you a diamond, then maybe echo this.
I would do a heart inside the cups.

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 12-14-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:59 PM

I would stick with the straight lines, an inch or two from your stitch in the ditch lines. Each current stitch in the ditch would have a stitch on each side of it. I would think that would do fine. Not too sure about the inside of your cups, if that is five inches. Maybe echo stitching there too?

YOur quilt is beautiful. I love it!!

Dina
Old 12-14-2012, 04:11 PM

Did you say that the area inside ythe cup is 5"? You mayneed to add more quilting. You could do a large meandering through out the quilt. Maybe just large stitching that goes from one square to another and thru the cups. This is usually not easily seen and shgould add stability of the batting.