Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did I quilt enough? >

Did I quilt enough?

Did I quilt enough?

Old 12-14-2012, 04:31 PM
Banned

How about a quick stitch in the ditch? That should do it. And those coffee cups are adorable! Where did you get the pattern?
Old 12-14-2012, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
I only see the SID or echo quilting around the mugs. if you FMQ around them in each block, yes that should be enough. or you could do straight lines about one or two inches apart on either side of the block seams going each direction on the quilt.
I agree with nativetexan. This will frame each block and give it a little more stability in case of washing. BTW, it is adorable! Good job.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:07 PM

I would probably do another 2-3 echos around each cup just to be safe. I think it is darling!! good job!
Old 12-14-2012, 05:12 PM

Speaking as The Expert in Dorkdom ( just ask my kids), I think that is one very nice quilt! I would echo quilt about an inch from what you already did so well on.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:40 PM

Your quilt is precious. If you know that you have quilted at least 2-4 inches apart, then it's fine. From what I can tell, quilting magazines promote quilting all over the quilt, but that has not always been the way it's been done. I do not like to see quilting overdone, it distracts from the fabric and the pattern. I have seen quilts that I actually can't tell the pattern because they have been quilted so heavily. None of my vintage quilts have this done on them. It is your choice what you want to do, but if you follow the batting directions, you will be fine.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:02 PM
Power Poster

I would just be sure I quiltied enough according to batting instructions. Your quilt is really great!!!!!
Old 12-14-2012, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dragonomine View Post
How about a quick stitch in the ditch? That should do it. And those coffee cups are adorable! Where did you get the pattern?
It is an applique from a McCalls Apron pattern.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
You have a fabulous quilt for a newbie!
Yes, when you go around an applique, that's echo quilting. You can echo as many times as you want.
If you're pretty sure about the batting info (2 to 4) then I would make the assumption that 4" would make the quilt secure enough. Again, this means that you need to have a line of quilting no more than 4" apart in any direction. So take a tape measure and measure from your echo quilting to the sitd around the squares. If it's 4" or less, then that area is OK.
but it has to be 4" in ALL directions, so from the cup handle to the edge of the block might be ok (horizontal) but if you measure vertically, next to the cup, you have 10" or so with no quilting, which is not. So you need something across this area to secure it.
I would make a paper mock up of a block. Sketch the cup and steam echo stitching. Use a sharpie for this, then doodle a bit with a pencil and measure to see what the unstitched areas are. Erase and try a different idea. Your additional lines are good, and I would also try connecting the mid point of each side and connect them. that will give you a diamond, then maybe echo this.
I would do a heart inside the cups.
I agree. With the straight lines I am still left with a few open spots and I'm going to get brave and try a squiggly here and there. And small free motion squiggly or back and forth inside the cup handle should take care of it the five inch problem without having to stitch over the applique. The echo I did around the applique I found extremely hard to do and had to rip out stitches and try again a few times. Just don't want to do that again right now.

Thank you to everyone for helping me learn how to quilt. I guess if you have to ask, "have I quilted enough?" you probably haven't.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:18 PM

I love it too! Anyone would! It could be either coffee or hot chocolate, etc. The others have given great advice about the quilting, so I'll refrain from my two cents.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:19 AM

Your quilt is just darling...it makes me want to grab a cup of coffee! Great ideas on this thread, and I learned a lot. Whatever you decide to do, it will be just fine! Enjoy your quilt, smile.