Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Did I really break my promise?

I have to agree with your daughter. You can't possibly use up all the material for the front and then find you don't have enough for the back.

hmmm, i get that from my hubby sometimes. i try not to buy more really! but if you need a back or binding that does not count. i simply told him it doesn't count and that he does not need another fishing pole unless one of the fifty or more he already has breaks...... LOL

Nope, you didn't break your promise! You couldn't finish the WIP without it. Otherwise, it would still just sit as a WIP.
    Tell hubby he will appreciate your thriftiness when it is done! :)

Blog Entries
    Solution: don't make promises you can't keep. I would NEVER promise to not buy more material. I might promise not to buy any more bullets (don't have a gun) but I sure would never make a promise related to sewing.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
    Well if you needed the material to finish one of the said WIP, surely that doesn't count? Right?
    I agree with you. ♥

Umm I would consider it a little white lie.

Well of course you didn't break your promise. You can't finish a project if you don't have all the supplies. Just like you can't clean the house without cleaners. You need the have to supplies to finish or do the job at hand.

Heidi

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grann of 6
    Solution: don't make promises you can't keep. I would NEVER promise to not buy more material. I might promise not to buy any more bullets (don't have a gun) but I sure would never make a promise related to sewing.
    Now that is a good point....next time I'll promise not to buy bullets; jewlery making supplies; scrap booking supplies; dried flowers!

Blog Entries
    You didn't break your promise. You said you wouldn't buy any more material. You bought fabric... :)

Nope the wip isn't finished if it's backless.

actually backing isn't fabric. fabric is for tops. backing is for backs. right??

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ann31039
    actually backing isn't fabric. fabric is for tops. backing is for backs. right??
    See that is my argument - backing is completely different!

I'm thinking maybe he thought he had you in a catch-22 and you would never be able to spend any more money on fabric again!! LOL... you can't buy fabric until you finish UFO's can't finish UFO's without buying fabric= ta daaa never buying fabric again in wicked spouse's evil ( from quilters' point of view) mind. Little do they know that we quilters will gang right up on him and change the rules as he sees them into the rules as we see them!!! heeheee... When you are a quilter, there is always a little ole slip knot to slip thru!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cowpie2
    I agree with your daughter, you need the backing to complete the quilt, thus still working on a WIP.
    I feel the same way. Your husabnd should be happy you are finishing your WIP's

Quote Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
    in my house that would be considered breaking the promise since i have an extensive stash and surely could have found some fabric that would work for the backing.
    Exactly what I was thinking.

You did not break your promise! My husband & I came to a great compromise. I can no longer tell him when I am going to get fabric. We agreed that I just need to say "I am going to get thread!"

HOw could've you broke a promise? You needed it to finish the project?

Blog Entries
    Its not a finished WIP if there is no backing so YOU DID NOT BREAK YOUR PROMISE same thing happened here MIL set my DSH strait on that she s been quilting for close to 65yrs Sooo it was settled --rules are rules :D

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Landers
    You did not break your promise! My husband & I came to a great compromise. I can no longer tell him when I am going to get fabric. We agreed that I just need to say "I am going to get thread!"
    This is so funny! It really made me laugh because given time I would have thought of this compromise!

Way would anyone promise something like that when they are a quilter and you need fabric to quilt

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Patricia Ann
    Way would anyone promise something like that when they are a quilter and you need fabric to quilt
    I know - I wasn't thinking straight when I made the promise and it was in the middle of the monthly budget discussions and I was tired!

Blog Entries
    My DH put me on fabric restriction last fall. no more fabric until I completed the 7 tops that were all WIPs, UNLESS it was needed to finish the project! I just love the fine print. It did work though and I was able to get them all done and given away. The heart of your promise was not to buy fabric for NEW projects, right? So you really didn't break the unspoken parts. Well, it sounds good to me anyway LOL

Blog Entries
    No, how else could you finish the wip? So tell him that you need to finish and if you need to buy fabric to finish them so be it.

I agree with AngieS. If I made that promise, and had already finished the other wips that I had sufficient supplies for....then I would have bought fabric for the backing of that one last. If they were all done you would not have broken your promise. However, if you could have finished any one of them without buying more fabric, you would have broken your promise....techinically. But, knowing it is just a private joke it doesn't really matter, just gave all a good laugh.

Blog Entries
    He wanted it finished didn't he? Can't finish it with out a back.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast