Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Did Walmart contract with Jo Ann's?

Blog Entries
    The city were I live does not have a Wallmart or a JoAnns......the closest of each is either 15 minutes or two hours away, depending on the traffic on the freeway ..but...they are right next to each other, LOL.

only at 2a.m. when it is a 15 minute drive.....the stores are not open

The Joanns has a sewing machine section that is not run by them and you even pay at a seperate register

The Wallmart has a McDonalds and an eyeglass center and a photography section that are inside the store but have seperate register and not the same type of reciept.

Blog Entries
    Have not heard that

I was in Bentonville, Ak (WalMart home office) last year when they announced the return of the fabric dept. to many stores. Nothing was said about anyone taking over the fabric except WalMart. I do not think WalMart subs out anything anymore. I would say it is just a false rumor.

Would you beleive I still have fabric that I bought from Zayres when they were going out of business?

Quote Originally Posted by Holice View Post
    Perhaps what everyone should do when there is no cutter is to cut, write the price and quantity on a slip of paper and take it to the register. That will get someone's attention. Evil thoughts this morning.
    I may take the bolt and the scanner thingy, too!
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

our Walmart had a hair salon, a bank, a cell phone place--can't even tell you what brand, and an arcade that is not Wal-Mart's.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    Oh boy, I remember every big store had fabric depts. so fun. Now, it's a job to find anything you want. Also tools etc. Now it's all stuck into a totally wrapped package with 3 or 4 more pieces. Oh well, a sign of the times.

Quote Originally Posted by 117becca View Post
    While I don't know the specific answer to that - it is done. Years ago, I worked for a store similar to Walmart cld Zayres....they had a fabric dept and it was leased by another company. Those of us who worked back there were still employees of Zayres, not the company that had leased the dept.
    I remember Zayres! My first job.

Walmart probably just orders fabrics from the same companies as Hancock and JoAnns.
    I do know that Hancock Fabrics and JoAnn are the same owners.
    Jesus knows all my imperfections yet he still loves me. Amazing!

Most Walmarts do have these services just like Meijer's and other superstores. Although they are under the same roof they are separate from the store. You can't shop there and include it in the bill from Walmart merchandise.
    But ask one of the gals at Walmart that question.
    Jesus knows all my imperfections yet he still loves me. Amazing!

Hancock and Joann are not owned by the same people and Joann does not run the fabric dept at Walmart I work at Joann's and none of these statements above are true they are just rumors

I don't think so ours is ran by the regular workers from Walmart
    I can't see walmart giving any money too any one else but in their own pockets.
    Have a nice day and a safe one too!

Most of the small "outlet" business that were in WalMart are being fazed out. The Jewelry department is now owned by WalMart and it was a sub. Our bank has been taken out and they are not replacing it.

Quote Originally Posted by marla View Post
    Most Walmarts do have these services just like Meijer's and other superstores. Although they are under the same roof they are separate from the store. You can't shop there and include it in the bill from Walmart merchandise.
    But ask one of the gals at Walmart that question.

Quote Originally Posted by Holice View Post
    Perhaps what everyone should do when there is no cutter is to cut, write the price and quantity on a slip of paper and take it to the register. That will get someone's attention. Evil thoughts this morning.
    It sure will. & they will not be very happy. Ask me how I know.

Quote Originally Posted by beadywoman View Post
    Yup, I'll probably cut my own fabric too. It is incredibly frustrating - when you finally find some fabric that is of a quality that you can work with, and have to stand there ringing that danged bell over and over and over and still nobody comes to the fabric department!
    What bell? They got rid of the one here at ours years ago and they only show up if they feel like it.

Walmart is NO LONGER #1 in this country for type business it is and have been losing revenue for a few years now and they wonder why? Wouldn't surprise me any if there were no more Walmarts in the next five years. At the rate they are going it may happen sooner than that.
    cparant

they need to do something! Last time I was there I used the phone and the service desk gal told me I better hang up the phone or I'd be in trouble LOL She never did send anyone I finally saw a WM clerk walk by and ask him if I could get some help-he did send someone and I finally got my fabrics cut but it might be my last time purchasing from them again! What a joke that department is now

BarbsCA

Quote Originally Posted by marla View Post
    I do know that Hancock Fabrics and JoAnn are the same owners.
    Hate to burst your bubble, but that is just plain NOT true.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

If no cutter is available, make a sign and point it at the camera.

One that says......."I NEED SOME ASSISTANCE IN THE FABRIC DEPT!!!! '' or "HURRY UP! SEND SOMEONE QUICK TO CUT THIS FABRIC, I HAVE TO GO PEE!!"

LOL
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

Quote Originally Posted by clsurz View Post
    What bell? They got rid of the one here at ours years ago and they only show up if they feel like it.

Walmart is NO LONGER #1 in this country for type business it is and have been losing revenue for a few years now and they wonder why? Wouldn't surprise me any if there were no more Walmarts in the next five years. At the rate they are going it may happen sooner than that.
    I doubt WalMart is going anywhere. If you dislike Walmart so much, why drive 20 miles to another one?
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

I remember Zayres - bought my two small kids coats there for less than a buck each. They were nice coats, too, and held up well. Don't remember fabric in Zayres but I wasn't into sewing then so wouldn't have looked for it.

You might wind up cutting for many other customers who were wandering the store looking for someone to cut fabric.

I think a buzzer to the Customer Service desk would help. They would get tired of hearing it very quickly and actually get someone to cover the fabric department all the time.

I haven't heard that but I can't believe JoAnn would let Wal*Mart run their fabric department - and at those prices!

Gee my local Walmart got rid of the fabric department a couple of years ago. I miss it. They had some good quality fabrics along with the ...not so good ones.

I haven't heard that, but in Temple, TX I noticed the fabric dept. has some nice fabrics, more than usual. Ours in Galveston, TX, sadly, does not have fabric.

I thought she said Walmart Fabric was run by Joann's Fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by matraina View Post
    I haven't heard that but I can't believe JoAnn would let Wal*Mart run their fabric department - and at those prices!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast