Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Did Walmart contract with Jo Ann's?

Blog Entries
    We have a huge fabric dept in our Wal mart here in Fallon, Nevada. I just wonder how that will work? The prices are good now but I am not sure if JoAnn's would be the same.

This wouldn't work at Walmart because the checker at the front wouldn't be able to ring it up without the little electronic print-out. You have to enter your code to get that little machine to work.

Quote Originally Posted by sewmary View Post
    I remember Zayres! Ours had a pretty decent fabric dept and so did Penneys. The good old days.

Had to laugh when I read the comment about Penney's fabric department..........I just emptied out some storage totes to put the fabric on my shelves. I found a 4 yard piece of grey paisley fabric.......36 inches wide.........marked "J.C. Penney....and the price on the sticker was 4 yards for $1.00. Can't bring myself to even think of using it!
    Husker Barb

There are at least four WalMarts in my area and none of them carry fabrics. All used to but went with groceries instead. Perhaps we will get fabric again. I really would appreciate that because the fabric is so much cheaper and great for charity quilts. But have seen no signs of fabric returning.

Our Walmart (Gilroy, CA) just put the fabric department back in! The fabric is some of the same stuff they had 4 years ago, but instead of $2-$3, it is $5. But glad to have it! A dedicated clerk for the cutting, too.

Quote Originally Posted by 117becca View Post
    While I don't know the specific answer to that - it is done. Years ago, I worked for a store similar to Walmart cld Zayres....they had a fabric dept and it was leased by another company. Those of us who worked back there were still employees of Zayres, not the company that had leased the dept.
    Zayre's, now that store name brings back memories, went there often growing up

Blog Entries
    Several of the ladies that work at Walmart have made mention that the fabric dept. is leased....but didn't say ''who'' leased it...

I work for WalMart and see the inside figures. Really don't see them going out of business in the near future. They are opening too many stores and are the largest employer in the world next to the United States Government.

I was in our Walmart fabric department just the other day and they had just gotten in some new fabric and it was beautiful and the price was great too. I was talking to the clerk about the department while she was cutting my fabric and she never said anything about Joanns.

Quote Originally Posted by clsurz View Post
    What bell? They got rid of the one here at ours years ago and they only show up if they feel like it.

Walmart is NO LONGER #1 in this country for type business it is and have been losing revenue for a few years now and they wonder why? Wouldn't surprise me any if there were no more Walmarts in the next five years. At the rate they are going it may happen sooner than that.
    Hi! Where do you go to a WalMart around here that still has fabric? Ours doesn't, Jesup doesn't, Brunswick doesn't--I don't think they are really concerned about whether we quilt or not! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by mjsylvstr View Post
    Many of the department stores had fabric departments. I do remember as a child going with my Mother and watch the saleslady run the fabric through a little machine attached to the counter. This machine would measure the fabric being purchased and then she would clip at the correct measurement and then cut away. If you were charging the item, she would then write up your charge, fold it and slip it into a medal cylinder and place the cylinder into a chute sending your charge for approval..very similar to the bank drive-ins of today.......
    Those were the days...or were they ????

but...it does give away my age !!!!!!!
    I remember this too. We had a family owned department store called Krauss and they had the measuring machines, chutes to the credit department and almost an entire floor of store devoted to fabrics and everything sewing. I miss that store.

Our Walmart is finally getting fabric. They are making a place for it now and will open it on the 16th. I can hardly wait.

was in WM last week and noticed a lot more fabric and some really pretty and nice quality too.

Our Walmart fabric dept. (if you can call it that!) is so bad that I don't think JoAnns would touch it.

Quote Originally Posted by pakwoman View Post
    I have worked for WalMart for 18 years and the last 2 years have been in the fabric department. I have not heard one word about this. I think it is probably not true.
    Too bad. It might improve the dept. Our Walmart is very poorly managed. They just built on and remodeled the whole store, but until they get new management, I won't shop there. I have been there 3 times since the remodel, thinking it would get better once they got organized, but it has been over 3 months since they finished remodeling and it hasn't gotten any better. I drive to another town if I want to shop at Walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by Old hen View Post
    Had to laugh when I read the comment about Penney's fabric department..........I just emptied out some storage totes to put the fabric on my shelves. I found a 4 yard piece of grey paisley fabric.......36 inches wide.........marked "J.C. Penney....and the price on the sticker was 4 yards for $1.00. Can't bring myself to even think of using it!
    I think you should frame it with the price sticker attached. lol

I have 3 Walmart stores within 10 - 15 minutes from my house. Each one has a fabric department, and each one has someone close to take care of the fabric department. So I feel very blessed. The best fabric department is at the store close to where my eldest daughter lives. They are always getting in new kids fabric. I am trying very hard not to buy fabric unless I need it, except the children's specialty fabric, or Christmas or Halloween. (I have NO resistance to Halloween fabric.)

I just visited my local walmarts fabric dept for first time in weeks, and they have lots of new fabrics and the dept is larger. A clerk was putting away some bolts and I mentioned that the dept seemed larger and well stocked. She said they had just remodeled and she was very happy about it too. I am very happy since I usually have to drive 15 miles to Joann's. I am blessed to be closed to Fabric Shack in Waynesville,Ohio and do try to support them too. I was there today! Walmart had a very good selection of children's themed fabric and I got a few cuts of flannel that washed up very nice for burp cloths. And the nice clerk cut my fabric right away, bit I did notice her helping someone in another area later.
    Celia

Our Wal Mart sometimes on Fridays have a Lady to cut fabrics, sometimes not. I use to pick up phone and tell Operator I needed help. She was always very nice. They removed the phone. I guess the store Manager is too ???? to get someone for that dept., he will probably tell corporate they don't sell enough fabrics. I wonder why.

I can't see Wal Mart letting anyone run their fabric dept. Jo Anns and Wal Mart has always carried some of the same fabrics, Jo anns charged more for the exact ones.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by marla View Post
    Walmart probably just orders fabrics from the same companies as Hancock and JoAnns.
    I do know that Hancock Fabrics and JoAnn are the same owners.
    I've worked for Hancock's for 6 years. We do NOT have the same owners. In fact, this is the first time I've heard this rumor!

I have only heard that wal-mart owned Jo-ann's but start me lying cause I sure don't know who owns what.!!!!

If yoou and anyone you know would like your Walmart to have fabric---------TELL THEM EVERY WAY YOU CAN THINK OF, call, e-mail tell the manager every time you go in. This works, ask me how I know!!!! JMHO
    Quote Originally Posted by Latrinka View Post
    I haven't heard that. But I sure wish our walmart would put in a fabric dept! Whoever runs it!

Blog Entries
    Hi, What I feel is that Wal-Mart appears to purchase "left over or end of bolts" possibly when another store wants to make room for newer fabrics.

Blog Entries
    Hi- I heard from one of my LQS around the end of 2011 that Wal-Mart had bought JoAnn's. I've not said anything because I didn't want to start any rumors. My local WM's fabric dept. never left and has doubled in size over the past few months with many of the same fabrics as JA's, with some of the those fabrics being the same high price as JA's...........go figure. Your guess is as good as mine.
    Jinnie

we have fabric at our walmart but no one to cut it,

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast