Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappearing nine patch question >

Disappearing nine patch question

Disappearing nine patch question

Old 11-05-2011, 04:05 PM

Hi, this is my first post and I am new to quilting but love the idea of just using 3 colours, can you please tell me what size each of the 9 blocks has to be cut, any advice would be apreciated many thanks.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Pinkrose4664 View Post
Has anyone every made a whole quilt using just 3 fabrics for this pattern? I have tried to search but this new one is confusing for me.

Thanks
Yes, I like to make my Disappearing 9 Patch Quilts with only 3 fabrics. I like quilts that aren't quite so "busy". Find two colors that you want to show the most, and use them for the main fabrics and then use the 3rd fabric for the middle pice on your 9 patch squares. Example: I made a quit with a black fabridce (with some white print on it) and a white fabric with quite a bit of black on it and then I use a red for the middle square on my 9 patch blocks I made. Then when I cut that 9 atch blck in half vertically and in half horizonatally, it made that red center block become only 1/4 of the original block size. So then when I turned the blocks and sewed them back together,my black fabric is now my big square pieces and the white blocks were cut in half so they are strips and the red fabric is now just a splash of red throughout. It is very beatifil. I am making one right now with a brown print and a tan print and then I am using a rust color print to use as the fabric that will be the 'splash of color--so it can just bring out some of the rust color in the brown and tan prints. I really like doing them. I have made 5 different quilts with that pattern and now my son wants me to make one for his 2 yr. old daughter but he wants it in brown and prints fabrics. It is hard to find brown and pink fabrics that aren't plain colored. I am having trouble finding thre coordinating prints. I am giong to Sioux Falls next week and am going to go to the Quilt Shop there 'cause they have lots of "fun" fabrics there and I might try to persuade my son to choose some different colors. He will be with me so I will show him some and hopefully come up with three fun coordinating fabrics. Good luck with yours. They reaaly are fun to do --and simple. I work full time and do long arm quilting for customers so I really have to pick easy patterns when I make a quilt--or it would take me forever to get a quilt done!
Old 11-05-2011, 06:03 PM

Those are some terrific ideas.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:12 PM

OMG that is fabulous! I am not sure exactly how you did it, you should do a tutorial on it! BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!
Originally Posted by BKrenning View Post
I did a twisted version with 3 fabrics. After I cut the 9 patches, I added half-square triangles and mixed them in with at least 1 normal D9P block to create different stars. I'll try to attach a picture.[ATTACH=CONFIG]281650[/ATTACH] I did most of the blocks while on vacation in the summer of 2010 using my old mechanical machine, Martelli Rotary Cutter, small cut & press board and 2 square rulers--6.5" and 12.5". Hubby & the kids fuss when I make them leave extra space to haul my mini, mobile quilt studio but they get over it--LOL.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by Valj View Post
Hi, this is my first post and I am new to quilting but love the idea of just using 3 colours, can you please tell me what size each of the 9 blocks has to be cut, any advice would be apreciated many thanks.
You can cut them whatever size you like -- this last one I'm working on I made them big - 6 1/2" because that's how wide my ruler is - didn't want to over think it, and I love working with large blocks for quick projects. Just remember that your middle section loses an extra seam allowance - so a total of 1" seam allowances there - so I don't think I'd go any smaller than 2 or 2 1/2".
Old 11-06-2011, 05:16 AM

Thanks so much for the idea and all the comments. Love your quilt and want to try one myself!
Old 11-06-2011, 05:24 AM

Thanks so much for the idea and all the comments. Love your quilt and want to try one myself!
Old 11-06-2011, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by shnnn View Post
You can cut them whatever size you like -- this last one I'm working on I made them big - 6 1/2" because that's how wide my ruler is - didn't want to over think it, and I love working with large blocks for quick projects. Just remember that your middle section loses an extra seam allowance - so a total of 1" seam allowances there - so I don't think I'd go any smaller than 2 or 2 1/2".
Thank you so much for the help, as I did not want to start cutting fabric and it being to small.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:41 AM

I've made several, all with 3 colors. The first three are ones I made for my sons' two Christmases ago. The gold is used in all three quilts, and two of them the red and the gold were the same:

Thomas the train for my 10 year old:

Lightening McQueen for my 9 year old:

And Curious George for the 7 year old:

I am actually much happier with the baby quilts I made. Using a smaller strip set I think they came out much better than the one's I made for my sons.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:04 PM

Great quilt, ShilrlinAZ. I am doing one for my great nephew in red, blue, and black - his color choices!