Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappointed in  the Chattanooga quilt show >

Disappointed in the Chattanooga quilt show

Disappointed in the Chattanooga quilt show

Old 09-17-2014, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
The booth fees for big shows are way out of line in my opinion. It's like the quest quilters that use to be on Simply Quilts. Not many knew the guest had to pay to be on that show. If you paid you were on. If I remember right, the expense was around $3000 for one show. The idea was the quilter was advertising her book, pattern, etc by having exposure.
Actually this is NOT true. I worked for a number of years for a very well known quilter who was on Simply Quilts more than once. She was INVITED and did not pay for the "privilege"!
Old 09-17-2014, 07:37 PM

I visit my sister and a close friend in NC and time my visit so we can attend the Raleigh Quilt Show. Love it! Went to classes on Friday for the first time, had a wonderful experience. I guess I must look at viewing quilts at a show differently than many others. I see them as art. Some may inspire me in my own quilting, most I just enjoy the creativity and try to see what the quilter is trying to say-by fabric/color choice, style, quilting, embellishment etc. it may not inspire me to do something along similar lines, but I am inspired by the individual beauty.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:46 PM

My husband is taking me to the Houston Quilt Show in Houston at the end of Oct, it will be my 1st show to attend, I am so excited BUT I have terrible back problems (post 6 surgeries) and I'm so afraid I wont be able to see it all. I'm hoping we can get in with a portable lawn chair for me to take breaks in. I'm not sure if they will have plenty of seating room spread out. I so want to see everything but I can only walk or stand for so long before I have to sit. And forget about sitting on the floor I wont be able to get up. Anyone know if they have plenty of unoccupied "husband" seating spread out the shows?
Old 09-17-2014, 08:56 PM

I go to them looking for something new that catches my eye to do up. Patterns, quilts or whatever. Sometimes you can pick up new techniques on how to do things a little different and faster.
Our little sewing group are having a quilt show at our Falling Leaves festival this year. I am hoping it goes over good with everyone this year. There will be no venders there--just our quilting items.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by wolf3349 View Post
I go to them looking for something new that catches my eye to do up. Patterns, quilts or whatever. Sometimes you can pick up new techniques on how to do things a little different and faster.
Our little sewing group are having a quilt show at our Falling Leaves festival this year. I am hoping it goes over good with everyone this year. There will be no venders there--just our quilting items.
Very interesting thread. Our guild is also having their annual show this next weekend. Our goal is always to make enough to at pay for some of our monthly program and workshops. We usually have 160-180 quilts, at least 2 demos, boutique(no scrapes or old mags, only small items), a speaker, and a handful of vendors--Vendors are hard to get because of the hassle to basically pack up a store, etc.

We are also involved in organizing the Kansas City Regional Quilt Fest--1st--in June 2015. We have lots of vendor for that but are expecting thousands of visitors.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:12 AM

Our club has a quilt show every year. If you are looking for art quilts you will be very disappointed. We are just a group of older women that do old style quilts. Yes we tie them also. Oh, do we use different patterns and panels. But their isn't a long arm among us. We are a very poor community and paying a long arm is beyond our means. Needless to say our quilt show is well attended and our quilts are beautiful.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
My husband is taking me to the Houston Quilt Show in Houston at the end of Oct, it will be my 1st show to attend, I am so excited BUT I have terrible back problems (post 6 surgeries) and I'm so afraid I wont be able to see it all. I'm hoping we can get in with a portable lawn chair for me to take breaks in. I'm not sure if they will have plenty of seating room spread out. I so want to see everything but I can only walk or stand for so long before I have to sit. And forget about sitting on the floor I wont be able to get up. Anyone know if they have plenty of unoccupied "husband" seating spread out the shows?

Rent a scooter. You will need it. This show is HUGE, limited seating in the vendor area and it will be crowded. Reserve one now. Yes, they are expensive but worth it if you are having the issues you describe. You will. Be glad that you did.
sandy
Old 09-18-2014, 04:57 AM

I enjoyed the Chattanooga AQS Show very much & was there everyday for classes. I thought everyone did a spectacular job on the organization. I also expected a larger turnout, in both attendees, vendors & quilts. IMHO this occurred because .. There was a competing show 90 miles away in Atlanta drawing both vendors & attendees for the same dates. You can't be in 2 places at once. The number of quilts shown were probably reflective of the number of quilts submitted overall & per category. If people don't enter quilts they won't have much to choose from. I saw a couple there that looked like they were submitted by a first time quilter from a quilting 101 class with no visual impact. My guess is they didn't have enough entries to choose from. This was the first year & I imagine next yr will be even better.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:15 AM

Another thought I wanted to add was that as AQS adds more shows around the country the attendance at each one becomes smaller as well as fewer vendors, quilts submitted. There was one in Charlotte, NC not that long ago.

Just to mention, during the AQS Show in Chattanooga there was a free show of local quilters quilts on display from 3PM to 8PM at the Chattanooga Workspace not too far from the Convention Center. There were 100 quits from local quilters along with local artists quilt related items.I don't know how many saw this display or read about it, but it was very nice and some really beautiful quilts.
The local shopping mall had a display of quilts as well as the Aquarium and the Riverboat gift shop. There were so many quilt related activities going on in Chattanooga during Quilt Week. It was great.

How many of you knew about these other events?
Old 09-18-2014, 06:31 AM

I did not go, but a friend was telling me last night that she was disappointed in it. However, she found out that there was a show in Atlanta the same weekend that took vendors there that could not come to Chattanooga.