Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappointed in  the Chattanooga quilt show >

Disappointed in the Chattanooga quilt show

Disappointed in the Chattanooga quilt show

Old 09-18-2014, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

February 2013 was first quilt show I had attended and by myself. Was sponsored by one of the local guilds. I went to see the quilts and learn from the artists. Their techniques for hand quilting and DSM and long arm. There were vendors that didn't deal in anything quilting. I bypassed those because my reason was looking at the different quilts. Took a lot of photos only after asking for permission. Yes there were a few who didn't want theirs taken because they had websites to purchase the patterns. This show was held in our town and I was informed it was one of the smaller shows. I had nothing to compare it having never been before. We have another coming again in February 2015. Anxious to see if the little 12 year old who placed with a ribbon for her first quilt in 2013 will have one in February 2015. I have hers stored in my camera phone. Hope she's there and if not, hope she is in another somewhere or in February 2017. I go to admire and to learn and if I purchase, then ok.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:50 AM

I think that this board is the best quilt show EVER.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:35 AM

Location: On the banks of the Ohio river in Almost Heaven West Virginia!!!!

The ONLY Quilt show that I have been disappointed with, was one where all the quilts were thrown into one category, with no distinction of machine OR hand quilted.... They were pretty, but not really interesting...
Old 09-18-2014, 07:15 PM

Chattanooga was okay...not as good as Charlotte. Stopped by the Atlanta show on the way home...actually enjoyed the shopping more
Old 09-19-2014, 03:43 AM

Our quilt guild has a show in March and we invite vendors. Most don't like one day shows, which is what we have. They want multi days shows. I have to say the ones this last year were still good, but they did limit the items they brought with them.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:59 PM

Default Art Quilts Galore

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I have too been disappointed with my local quilt shows because I don't see any quilts that inspire me. Too many art quilts. That is why I love this board with all the Photos that are posted.

I SO agree with you about the art quilts. Art quilt speakers and instructors are also filtering into everything. A lot of these women have advanced degrees from art colleges in design, art, fabric-making, etc.

You know what? I look at them, and keep it moving. I go home and make quilts that I like. I'd advise you to do the same; and we do a pretty good job to not have all this "higher education"!!!
Old 09-19-2014, 03:13 PM

Good for you and your group, Joan. Long arming a quilt is not required. I think that I would enjoy your show, but alas, I'm too far away!
Old 09-19-2014, 04:30 PM

B [/I] I just got back from the Oaks, Pa. show. It was wonderful as were the vendors. Stunning quilts from other parts of the world. Will easily go back next year.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by trolleystation View Post
I think that this board is the best quilt show EVER.
I agree with that!.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:50 PM

I went with friends of various ages, 20's-60's, we all live here so no traveling was involved. Two of us have been to the show when it was in Knoxville, which I thought was much better. I think we were all a little disappointed overall, still glad it was here though. Too many machine vendors, not enough boothes with different fabrics/notions/quilty gift stuff and a quarter of the room was unused. I had been looking forward to this for 2 years, even paid my credit card down so I'd be prepared to spend, but came home with money left over. The quilts were beautiful, maybe next year it will be better/bigger now that aqs knows more about the crowd turnout.